Biotest

Zach's Pulse Fast Log

So I’ve been logging my Pulse Fast adventure in another forum but I think I’ll get better feed back here so I’m copying over my posts. Please be patient.

A little background, came off a 3-4 month lay off where in the 1st month I didn’t even eat. I lost a lot of muscle. THe lay off came from several emotionally traumatic events in my life. Lost a lot of hard work…

That being said, summer is almost here and I need to get rid of this gut. I want to get bigger soon, but summer in Tampa doesn’t allow for too much fat around the waist :slight_smile:

I will be posting beginning pictures and ending pictures at the end of my 6 pulses which should end somewhere near the end of March.

I’m a CPA and an Internal Auditor for an international company so I travel a lot. It just happens that I will be traveling all of March (Pittsburgh 2 weeks, France 2 weeks), and April (Utah for a week for Snowboarding and then Amsterdamn for 2 weeks). So far, I haven’t missed a planned workout in the past 4-5 weeks.

Workout includes lifting 3x/week (Back/Bi, Legs/Posterior chain, Chest/Tri) Bikram Yoga 1-2x/week when I’m home, Cardio 1-3x/week (usually 2 HIITs and 1 Steady State) and I replace Cardio with Yoga sometimes. It’s whatever I can fit in but I try to stay as active as possible every day.

Diet has been around the 1800-2200 cals/day with a focus on protein/fats except for breakfast and pre/post workout. Problem is I usually lift at night so carbs after workouts are usually limited to veggies or a half a serving of something.

Not sure my weight at the moment but I’m guessing about low 180’s.

That’s the quick and dirty background. Sorry, kind of in a rush since I have to catch a flight home soon :slight_smile:

3/7/11

Pulse Fast 1
Finishing up my first “Pulse Fast” today. Stopped eating at 7 PM last night (had to since I was traveling and on a plane.) Morning was a little rough and so was lunch…especially since I had to watch my co-worker eat. Just had a cup of coffee at breakfast and a glass of fresh brewed ice tea at lunch. Water the rest of the day (with the pulse fast supps). Will provide waist measurement change tomorrow. From what I read, you really don’t see the big effects until the 3rd pulse. We’ll see.

I did feel energized all afternoon. Mid-morning-early afternoon I was the most drained.

3/8

Pulse Fast 1 + 1 day

Waist went from 35" to 34.25". Pretty happy about it. Don’t know weight change since no scale and really don’t care. Much leaner in the stomach/love handles area.

The most interesting measurement though is waist with my stomach sucked in. I can’t remember where I saw this or why I started doing it, but there was a reason. I usually measure about 33". This morning was 31.5"… Again not sure what it means or where I got this idea from. Anyone like to expand?

Workout and Diet

Tuesday

Warm up

Deadlifts
WU
275x5 (Seemed TOO easy)
295x5
295x5
285x5
275x5
275x5

Even those last couple of 275’s felt a little to easy. I’m sure I could have done 305 no problem. I’m not sure why my deadlift has just skyrocketed…

Wide grip seated row
130x8
130x7
130x7

Seated Cable rows-Narrow grip
110x10
120x8
110x10

Wide grip lat pulldown
110x10
120x10
120x9

EZ Bar Bicep Curls
55x12
55x8
55x7

Diet consisted of more carbs than usual as I’m trying to take advantage of the after effects:

Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal w/ raisins, 3 eggs, 2 bacon, 1 cup of fruit (bout 700cals)
Snack 1: Handful of mixed nuts (bout 160 cals)
Lunch: Hamburger patty w/ cheese, veggies, 1 baked potato with 1tsp butter (bout 700 cals)
Snack 2: Cliff Bar Builders bar (20g prot/30g carbs) (270 cals)
Pre-workout: 1 scoop whey, 50g maltodextrin mixed with crystal light (300cals)
Dinner: 6" double chicken breast subway with light oil/vinegar (500 cals)

All guesses. Could be a little more/little less but my workout was pretty intense

Pulse Fast 1 + 2 days

3/9/11

Waist came in a little smaller today by like 1/8". Call it measurement error. So that means I took in a lot of cals and carbs compared to before and did no cardio. So no overnight rebound! Very nice. Eating like I did yesterday today with maybe some more carbs b/c it’s leg day and then Pulse Fast tomorrow.

Belt is nearly on it’s last loop. I’d say a good 1/2" left to go before I can keep it on the last loop comfortably.

Wednesday

Warm up

Front squat
WU
165x5
185x3 (just wasn’t feeling my form so I stopped)
155x5
155x5
155x5
155x5

My form got better as I went and I was more concerned with that than anything else

Hyper extensions
BWx15x5

SLDL
155x8
165x8
165x8

Lunges
BWx100x2

No adducter/abducter machines. Not sure how else to work these. i might go in early on Saturday and do some more leg work…

Diet today:

Breakfast: bowl of oatmeal w/ rasins, 3 eggs, 1 sausage link
Snack 1: handful mixed nuts
Lunch: 3 sushi rolls with siracha and side salad
Snack 2: Clif bar builder bar
Preworkout/During: 100g maltodextrin and 1 scoop whey
Dinner: 2 cajun chicken breasts, brocolli, and 1/3 baked potato.

Pulse fast tomorrow.

3/10/11
Pulse fast 2

Felt a lot easier. Only hard time was watching my buddy eat sushi at lunch and at 9PM. Rest of day was a breeze.

3/11/11

Pulse Fast 2 + 1 day
Up early to workout this morning. Finished PF2…no insane results. Same waist measurement as yesterday actually which is extremely surprising.

Even without the PF, I’ve been working my a$$ off with results I should scoff at…it’s really, really fvcking frustrating

Friday

WU

Bench Press
WU
190x5
190x5
185x5
180x5
175x5
170x5

Dips
BWx10
BWx7
BWx7

Inc. DB Press
40x8
40x8
40x7

CGBP
95x10
95x9
95x7
90x8
85x8
80x8

Diet to come later.

Pulse fast 3 under way. Weekend was less than stellar diet wise but I spent some great times with friends who i won’t see for 6 more weeks. I think it was a justified trade off.

Started the morning off with a Pulse at 7:15AM followed by 15 minutes of random hill walking (3.5mph) and 15 minutes random hill jog (6mph). Incline was between 1.5 to 7.8. Could have gone all day haha.

Hunger is pretty high today but most likely due to a morning cardio getting my metabolism charged up. Mentall it’s pretty easy still.

Up early for a morning workout. Was supposed to get up at 5AM, but woke up at 4AM. Tried to go back to bed, but wasn’t happening. Not sure if this has anything to do with the the pulse fast or not.

Broke the fast at 5AM w/ 100g mdex and 1 scoop whey mixed with 1000mL of h2o, and a cliff bar builders bar (20g prot and 30g carbs). Last time I only took in the shake but I felt a little light on energy and that was just a chest day. Today is a leg day and it usually takes the most out of me.

Waist came in at just a hair over 34" which is about 1/4" smaller than last Tuesday (after PF1).

PF3 seems to be good. I was questioning whether I’d do PF4 this week or just do it on Monday, but b/c my waist did come in smaller than last week, I’ll give it another whirl to see if my 2nd round last week was just a fluke.

Ordered 2 bulk DAA’s and 2 Formadrols. I think I’m estrogen dominate. Don’t feel like getting into why but there’s been a lot of research on my side. I could always use a little more Test too and my buddy liked bulk DAA and its cheap so not a big loss if it doesn’t do much.

Workout this morning was great!!! Although by the end of it, I was huffing and puffing. Leg day does that to me, especially when I do lunges

[B]Tuesday[/B]

WU

Squats
WU
215x5
225x5
225x5
225x5
215x5
215x5

I think I could have keept doing 225 but my form was getting bad and the 215felt kind of easy…but form is key for me right now. So if you would look back 2 weeks when I did back squat last time, those lifts are all about 20lbs heavier. :slight_smile: Not to shabby.

SLDL
185x8
185x8
185x8
185x8
175x8
175x8

DB Lunges
30x8
30x8
30x8

Done. Felt ill to my stomach actually.

Followed it up with a bowl of scrambeled eggs, 1 sausage link, and i tried to eat a bowl of oats w/ raisins but got through maybe half. Stomach was full.

Peace

PF3+2 Days

Woke up. Waist was still about 34.25". After all the food I ate yesterday (probably took in like 3000 cals), I’m happy.

Downed some H2O this morning, hit the treadmill.

20 mins at 6mph on Random Hill (incline from 1.5 to 7.8). Sipped on 4 scoops Xtend during.

Chest/tris tonight followed by some HIIT.

PF4 tomorrow.

Peace

Pretty good workout tonight!

Pre-workout was my usual 5g creatine, 50g maltodextrin, and 1 scoop unflavored whey…unfortunately I didn’t remember the flavoring. Umm it was horrible lol. But I sucked it down and added on a cliff bar builders bar. Felt like I needed more energy.

Also, I have this sweet new app on my Evo called “Jeffit” that tracks my workouts and workout breaks, etc. It’s freakin sweet. Check it out if you have a droid phone.

[B]Wednesday[/B]
WU

Bench Press
WU
195x5
195x5
190x5
185x5
180x5
175x5

Dips
BWx11
BWx8
BWx7

DB Incline BP
45x8
40x8
40x7

CGBP
95x10
90x8
85x10
85x9
85x8
80x8

HIIT
1min on/1 min off 3mph/9.5mph x 6

ROASTED

Dinner was 2 chicken breasts (cajun style), half baked potato, and broccoli.

PF4 tomorrow. Feeling really good. Hopefully this all works out.

Been having a hard time going to bed and sleeping through the night last few weeks. I’m like always wired and full of energy… even thought I only sleep 5-7 hours. I ran this morning, lifted and ran tonight and I’m wired. I had some caffeine at lunch so I know that can’t be it. I dunno. Fvcking weird. took 2 melatonin…

PF4 started this morning. So much easier.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
PF4 started this morning. So much easier. [/quote]

Good work in here man, keep it up.

I started taking Z12 on nights on pulse fasting and it helps, otherwise I have difficulty going to sleep.

Great job on doing all the workouts and the pulse fast while you are traveling. Where about are you now? Do you think it is the traveling messing up your sleep patterns?

20 mins of what I guess is technically fasted cardio lol.

Took my pulse at 7PM and then filled up my h2o bottle with 4 scoops Xtend. Did 20 mins at 6mph on random incline from 1.5 to 7.8.

Felt nice.

Back/bis tomorrow.

I’m in Pittsburgh right now then leaving for France on Saturday.

I don’t think it’s the traveling. Used to be in the military and I really never had trouble sleeping before.

To be honest, since starting this Pulse Fast, my energy has been very high all week, my mind is much more clear, food tastes amazing, I don’t know. I can see doing this once a week forever, especially on Mondays to reset myself if I have a bad weekend. I actually slept really good last night.

And thanks for the support :slight_smile:

Morning workout today. Finished PF4. I was FVCKING HUNGRY after i ran last night. Serves me right haha.

Woke up at 3:30AM but somehow got back to sleep around 4:30 and woke up at 6.

Waist came in 1/8" under 34" this morning :slight_smile: Nearly a real inch (first day of 35" I think had to do with weekend bloat) off in not even 2 full weeks… I’m definitely looking leaner all over and I’m getting stronger. I think weight is about the same which means LBM UP, strength UP, and Fat down. All while taking in more than maintenance on off days. WINNING!

Pre-workout shake: 1 scoop whey, 50g maltdex, 5g creatine, 1 litre h2o
Cliff bar builders bar

total about 600 cals

[B]Friday[/B]

WU

Deadlift
WU
305x5
295x5
295x4
285x5
275x5
275x5

All felt REALLY heavy today. Must have been the running last night and draining what I had left in glycogen stores

Wide griped seated row
130x8
130x8
130x7

CG Seated Rows
120x10
120x9
120x8

Wide gripped Lat Pull downs
120x10
120x8
110x10

Standing EZ bar curls
55x12
55x9
55x7

Overall, I improved on all my lifts compared to last week by weight and/or reps :slight_smile:

No cardio. I was just super drained.

Breakfast was bowl of scrambled eggs, 1 sausage link, bowl of oats with raisins.

Lunch will prob be sushi.

Dinner will be snacky type items. I’ll get some plate of veggies, hummus, crackers, homemade chicken salad with avacado and lime juice mixed in, and prob some brie. GOnna just snack all night. I’m flying to Paris tomorrow and I need to stay up as late as possible so I can sleep on the plane the whole way there. My fck buddy is coming over to help keep me awake haha. Yeah boy.

DAA and Formadrol is at my crib waiting for me. I think I might do 3g AM and 3g PM. I did about 2 hours of research and followed a few other people and most did more than the 3g. Maybe I’ll start with 3g in the AM and see what happens? But a couple of them got blood work before and after and all had about a 30-40% increase in test. It’s not steroid jumps but good enough for me for $12 a container.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:
20 mins of what I guess is technically fasted cardio lol.

Took my pulse at 7PM and then filled up my h2o bottle with 4 scoops Xtend. Did 20 mins at 6mph on random incline from 1.5 to 7.8.

Felt nice.

Back/bis tomorrow.

I’m in Pittsburgh right now then leaving for France on Saturday.

I don’t think it’s the traveling. Used to be in the military and I really never had trouble sleeping before.

To be honest, since starting this Pulse Fast, my energy has been very high all week, my mind is much more clear, food tastes amazing, I don’t know. I can see doing this once a week forever, especially on Mondays to reset myself if I have a bad weekend. I actually slept really good last night.

And thanks for the support :)[/quote]

No problem, its interesting to read about a different approach than the V-Diet. I am in the transition phase of the V-Diet at the minute and thinking about what to do after that finishes so its good reading about the pulse fast and what you are doing. Keep it going.

By the way what is DAA?

Left for France on Saturday and got to Caen on Sunday around 5 PM France time. Diet for the weekend was good except I drank some on Friday night (wine).

Traveling diet wasn’t great, but wasn’t terrible…until last night. We needed to stay awake so we went to a local Irish Pub (In France I know…) and watched some football and got a couple of beers. Well we started talking to a couple of girls (1 from Ireland and the other from New Zealand) and the bartender was giving us free drinks so…got kind of drunk lol. Then the broads bought us pizza… weird night.

So today I am obviously Pulse Fasting haha.

PF5 is underway. I was super tired and irritated this morning. My body still thought it was super early but it’s 5 hours ahead here.

I’m STARVING today. But it’s easy to control not eating now…

DAA=D aspartic acid . Tastes like shit lol. Well not bad but not good. Makes your mouth feel like lemon juice would…

Still don’t know if there’s a gym here or not that we can go to. We’ll find out tonight.

Ha girls, pizza and free drinks - a deadly combination!!

[quote]staypositive wrote:
Ha girls, pizza and free drinks - a deadly combination!![/quote]

Yeah no kidding haha.

PF5 has ended successfully! :slight_smile:

Waist just under 34" just like on Friday…Guys, if you have a bad weekend, fast for a day…seriously. It just sets you right back where you were. That doesn’t mean go crazy! You still need to balance out your calories in vs calories out a little bit. But overall, this is a great method to reset.

Still waiting to hear on the gym. The first gym wouldn’t do daily or even monthly memberships. Minimum of 6 months. I was like, do you not want money? haha. Oh well. The hotel is calling around for me today. I think there will be one.

I feel SO much better today. Yesterday I was miserable and barely even able to comprehend anything.

Ok got a gym membership at a place for 25 Euro for 2 weeks.

The set up is not great lol, but it’ll do. Since everything is in kilgrams and the olympic bars were in use, I was forced do to use a standard bar for bench. not even sure if it was a 6ft or 7 ft bar to be honest. And I didn’t really pay to much attention to weight. I just put on weight to keep me in my rep range.

[B]Tuesday[/B]

Bench press
6 sets b/w 3-8 reps each set.

Dips
BWx12
BWx9
BWx8
All improvements!

Incline Bench press
3 sets of 6-8 reps

Machine Fly
3 sets of 6-15 reps

CGBP
4 sets of 6-12 reps

Tried to do some more dips but couldnt do more than 3 and that was rough. SO i know I’m thrashed.

6" subway with triple chicken, veggies, and oil/vinegar

Hopefully I can sleep tonight.

Peace