Biotest

Z-12 Use

amsch21 asks:

I am long time Biotest customer and user of Z-12.

I have used it daily for many months now to help me get better sleep. It works very well and I am very happy with the product.

My question is, does Biotest see any issues with the long term use of Z-12 (every day) having some negative effect or can it be considered a staple like Superfood, creatine or a multi-vitamin?

amsch21,

Glad you’re enjoying the effects of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/z-12"target=“new”>Z-12!

Since Z-12 is a non-addictive formula (unlike a lot of sleep aids) and it’s main workhorse component, PhGABA, has no known side effects, it’s assumed Z-12 safe to use long-term with no drawbacks. In fact, all three components of Z-12 have healthful effects, so you’re comparison of Z-12 to a daily multi-virtamin or Superfood is pretty accurate.

Furthermore, 5-HTP helps PhGABA and L-theanine to keep on working without allowing you to develop tolerance. So, it keeps working every single time, unlike melatonin.

On a personal note, I once used Z-12 for an entire year at full dosage with no ill effects. (Now I just use it as needed.) So we’d say if you enjoy Z-12 nightly, you’re good to go.

Just heed the warning label of course when it comes to taking it with certain prescription drugs, and don’t take it when you’ve been drinking alcohol.

Hi Chris - I have taken Z-12 in the past and loved it. Question - I’m planning to cram for an exam scheduled in about 45 days. I’m just about to get some Z-12 to accommodate the schedule. Less sleep than usual always kills me, although Z-12 certainly helps… My question is this: During this short period, do you see any benefit from taking melatonin with the Z-12? Did you notice better results from any period of increased dosage when you were getting less sleep than usual, or does 2 caps nightly do it?

Also, since I (hopefully) have your attention, do you see benefit to taking Powerdrive (for the tyrosine, which apparently “resets” the body after caffeine…), if I am also planning to take Brain Candy? I love the taste of Powerdrive and loved the effects. I would be taking other stimulants as well for this 45 day period, which is why I was considering the additional Tyrosine (in addition to the other cholinergics in there). I noticed in the past Powerdrive ‘cleared’ me of ‘mental fog’ so I was thinking this could allow for the caffeine to do a better job at kicking ass. And yes, I know this combo is in spike shooter, but I love coffee. Thanks!

We don’t suggest taking melatonin with Z-12. It shouldn’t be needed and it may not be wise to mix sleep aids. Instead, just bump up to 3 capsules of Z-12. I can definitely tell a difference between 2 and 3 capsules. While 2 is all most people need, 3 makes me go very deep into sleep. It’s like a pleasant coma, and I’ve noticed that a shorter amount of sleep feels like I slept a full 8 or 9.

We also don’t suggest taking Power Drive and Brain Candy together. Brain Candy is, in many ways, an improved version of Power Drive. Power Drive + caffeine or Brain Candy original alone should do the trick. You may want to use caffeine-free Brain Candy if drinking additional caffeine in coffee.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
We don’t suggest taking melatonin with Z-12. It shouldn’t be needed and it may not be wise to mix sleep aids. Instead, just bump up to 3 capsules of Z-12. I can definitely tell a difference between 2 and 3 capsules. While 2 is all most people need, 3 makes me go very deep into sleep. It’s like a pleasant coma, and I’ve noticed that a shorter amount of sleep feels like I slept a full 8 or 9.

We also don’t suggest taking Power Drive and Brain Candy together. Brain Candy is, in many ways, an improved version of Power Drive. Power Drive + caffeine or Brain Candy original alone should do the trick. You may want to use caffeine-free Brain Candy if drinking additional caffeine in coffee. [/quote]
Thanks for the feedback Chris! Glad to hear that “Brain Candy is, in many ways, an improved version of Power Drive” since I loved Power Drive so much. Looking forward to it. And I never was a fan of melatonin, and took it sporadically, so no loss there.

As for the Z12, I also noticed that 3 caps worked wonders. I’ll modify my order accordingly and stock up on the z12 and brain candy! Looking forward to my purchase!

Glad to help!

I used to use melatonin but for me it just stops being effective after a while. Z-12 works every time, even with nightly use. Love it.

Keep us posted!