Biotest

Young Powerlifter Takes V-Diet Plunge

Warning: This post is not short, however I welcome everyone and anyone to read it and post whatever they want.

I had a realization the other day as I was sitting at CiCi’s Pizza chowing down on what had to be my 15th slice. I’m fat, or at least fatter than I was 3 months ago and definitely far from what I want to look like. For the past few months I have just simply been eating everything, good, bad, whatever.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve still be getting in the proper amounts of protein, been supplementing, and eating on a schedule. However, my food choices have been less than stellar. But hey, I’m an aspiring powerlifter right? I don’t care what I look like…as long as I weigh in right on the day of and set PR’s, or so I kept trying to convince myself.

Truthfully, deep down, I have been unhappy with my recent fat gain.

Sure, I want to be as strong as possible, I don’t want to let my fellow teammates down, but I have to be ok with who looks back at me in the mirror, and right now, I’m not, which is waning on my confidence.

Mcdonalds, Wendys, Pizza, cookies, twinkies and the like have been regular factors of my diet for the past months, with chicken breast, protein powder, steak thrown in the mix.

Don’t get me wrong, I have gained strength, and I have gained muscle under the fat gain, but I’m in a weight class I shouldn’t be, and I’ve also gained some killer love handles. I realized something else, the strongest kid on our team is pretty damn lean.

You don’t have to be fat to be a powerlifter and this is something I should have logically understood from the beginning. The first thing that comes to mind when I think of all this is anger. Angry that my body doesn’t mirror the amount of work I put into weights. It’s my fault, and therefore I’m angry at myself for allowing it to happen and attempting to take what I thought was the shortcut.

On top of all this, I’m only 20 years old, do I really want to spoil my health by eating all this garbage on a day to day basis? I’m predisposed to high blood pressure and high cholesterol, and I want to do everything in my power to prevent these predispositions from becoming reality.

I need to make a drastic change now, and nip all these shitty habits in the butt.

I have decided on the V-Diet and I have already ordered the needed supplements and am waiting on their arrival. This diet is hopefully going to do two things: Drop me to an appropriate weight class for my current strength level, and transform my physique.

Current Stats:
20 years old
5’8"
187lbs (compete at 181lb)
Body Fat % - unknown, I have no calipers and the digital one has to be wrong, anyone care to give a rough estimate is fine, if not ok…mirror will be judge.

Measurements - I will have a cloth tape to measure within the next couple days.

As far as this log goes, I will only be posting how the diet itself is working, how I’m doing mentally while on it etc.

I will not post my training unless you guys ask, as it will be the training I do with the team at school and totally different from the recommended v-diet training program. I will start the diet just soon after I receive my order and will start logging immediately.

Pics coming next.

Legs, front.

It’s only after I took this picture that I realized how bad my love handles have become.

Back Retracted, love handles.

Side Relaxed.

Side Flex.

I’ll be interested to see the measurements and subsequent progress. Let us know how your energy levels feel during your workouts on the v-diet as opposed to now. How long are they usually?

You have a great muscle base. Should be some dramatic results. Stay strong.

[quote]jstirto wrote:
I’ll be interested to see the measurements and subsequent progress. Let us know how your energy levels feel during your workouts on the v-diet as opposed to now. How long are they usually?

You have a great muscle base. Should be some dramatic results. Stay strong.[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment man! I’ll be sure to get those measurements done when I get the tape measure within the next day or so. The thing with powerlifting sometimes, you can be training for what seems like forever and by the end of the session you realize you only did like 20 reps total. We have had sessions that go longer than they should just due to the nature of it, 4-5 guys training at one time, rotating, it can really extend the amount of time you are there. I’d say on average 2 hours per session.

i’m interested to see how this diet works for a powerlifter. i train at a powerlifting gym, so i hear ya on the long sessions :slight_smile:

I’d be interested on how your progress goes, especially if you are training just powerlifting. I’d think that it wouldn’t be the most effective way to do the diet, but what do I know?

[quote]ShortSquat wrote:
i’m interested to see how this diet works for a powerlifter. i train at a powerlifting gym, so i hear ya on the long sessions :slight_smile: [/quote]

True man, True…main thing is, hold on to my strength and drop to a SOLID 165er. Thanks for the interest.

[quote]anom1k wrote:
I’d be interested on how your progress goes, especially if you are training just powerlifting. I’d think that it wouldn’t be the most effective way to do the diet, but what do I know?[/quote]

Me as well, I asked Chris whether or not I should add in either complexes or cardio and he told me not to. He said I should just do the NEPA walks and do the v-burn once a week. Hopefully it works out well

Good luck man. I am a firm believer that you don’t have to be fat to be a good powerlifter so I wish you the best!

On this type of diet you’ll lose a decent bit of your strength but I have no doubts you’ll be able to get it back. Plus you’ll be in a new and lower weight class haha.

Good luck! Looking forward to your results too. Looks like you could be pretty ripped by the end.

I’m going to be swallowing protein shakes right along with ya, can’t wait to see how it turns out.

[quote]BarebackMountain wrote:
I’m going to be swallowing protein shakes right along with ya, can’t wait to see how it turns out.[/quote]

My main dude…word is bond.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Good luck man. I am a firm believer that you don’t have to be fat to be a good powerlifter so I wish you the best!

On this type of diet you’ll lose a decent bit of your strength but I have no doubts you’ll be able to get it back. Plus you’ll be in a new and lower weight class haha.[/quote]

Thanks man, appreciate the support and interest.

[quote]Criswell3000 wrote:
Good luck! Looking forward to your results too. Looks like you could be pretty ripped by the end.[/quote]

Hopefully a bit more of whatever muscle I have underneath will show through. Thanks man.

Hey Facko,
Did you send chris your workout template? Because I was thinking about trying the V-Diet as a powerlifter type, but I’m still afraid that A) I’d lose strength and muscle or B) the workouts that I do aren’t enough to stimluate fat loss.

Let me know.

[quote]anom1k wrote:
Hey Facko,
Did you send chris your workout template? Because I was thinking about trying the V-Diet as a powerlifter type, but I’m still afraid that A) I’d lose strength and muscle or B) the workouts that I do aren’t enough to stimluate fat loss.

Let me know.
[/quote]

I didn’t send him my template, he just told me to train as I normally do, do NEPA walks and do the vburn on my day off. You may lose some strength, but I don’t see much muscle being lost if you use all the supplements suggested, like Surge or a good pwo and leucine with every shake.

Also, on our template most of our assistance work is a more moderate rep range instead of triples doubles and singles for the major lifts. The diet itself with a good fat burner will stimulate fat loss as long as you are lifting weights hard in some form, doing the nepa activity etc.

I can’t see how you would not lose major fat on this diet even if you sat there. But follow my log and we shall see…perhaps you may be right but I’m going for it.