Yet Another March V-Dieter

Hello folks,

I’ve been a T-Nation lurker for quite some time now and this is my very first post.

First, a little background about myself. About a year ago, I became fed up with the way I looked. I weighed in at about 270 lbs and the weight affected every aspect of my life. I couldn’t even tie my shoes without my big fat gut getting in the way. I remember one time in particular - I had started tying my shoes by bringing my foot over my other knee (think crossing your legs figure-four style) without really realizing it. One of my friends said to me “you’re tying your shoes like my grandmother.” That was one of my “you’ve got to do something about this” moments.

So, I set off on a diet and exercise program. Not anything in particular, just a regular amount of exercise and a much closer examination of my food intake. I began reading as much as I could and came across the discussion forum on Think what you about that website but, I took away two very important things from there. First was a post entitled “so you want to loose fat.”

This helped me to better understand they why and how of nutrition. The second thing was T-Nation. From that point on, I came to this site regularly and read almost every article; it also just happened to coincide with the beginning of the Physique Clinics. I eagerly read every progress report from both of Gus Pacho and Bartl and took their success as a bit of inspiration.

I tracked just about every bit of food that went into my mouth and was at the gym at least three and usually four times a week. Over the course of the next six months I managed to drop about 50 pounds all while increasing strength. Everything was great; I felt great and had a lot of good comments from friends and co-workers.

But then I hit a wall. 220 lbs - that was the imaginary barrier that I wasn?t able to break through. I tried cutting calories, increasing calories, but nothing seemed to work. I always hovered around that mark. There were times when I would dip just blow that mark, but within a week I?d just be back over it. That, coupled with a few injuries really derailed me.

Over the next six months, both my diet and exercise had become erratic. I was still making progress in the gym as I was continually making gains in all of my compound lifts, but I was also gaining weight. By New Years, I had put about 20 pounds back on.

I didn?t make that big of a deal of it, I told myself that as long as I was getting stronger, a little weight gain was inevitable. But, I always knew that it was probably wishful thinking. Sure, some of it may have been muscle - but realistically, I?m guessing that it was maybe 5 pounds. (and even that was probably optimistic)

So, I knew that something had to change and that it had to be a drastic, I couldn?t keep doing what I was doing and hope to get where I wanted to be. So, as I usually do every weekday morning, I logged onto this site last Monday morning. At the top of the page was something new. V-Diet 3.0

I pretty much decided before I clicked the link that that was going to be it. I read through the program and the discussion forum on and off for the remainder of the day and placed my order the following afternoon. I was a little disappointed to see that the shipment wasn?t scheduled to arrive until today as I had intended for this to me my start date.

But, I had a nice surprise when I saw two big boxes sitting on my front doorstep when I got hope from work on Friday. I was exited for the weekend to be over as that meant that I could get started on this. My siblings and I took my mother out for a birthday dinner at an Italian restaurant last night. I had lasagna, the whole time thinking that this was the last indulgence that I would have for a while - maybe forever. Monday was going to be a new day.

So, there you have it. I’m not usually that long winded, but I guess I just had a lot to say this morning.

My starting weight this morning was 239.2, measurements and pictures will happen tonight. I?m planning on making daily log entries, as I?m sure there will be times when I?ll need a little encouragement.

The morning shake went down a little tough. I think that maybe I?m just not used to consuming that volume of stuff that early in the morning. I?m also feeling the effects of the HOT-ROX. I had cut out soft drinks a while ago save for the very occasional diet Coke and now I can definitely feel any small amount of caffeine I take in. I?ll give myself a couple of more days to adjust. Other than that I?m feeling good about this.

Great story so far. Kind of reminds me of my own. Just remember, that is act 1. Act 2 and 3 are where you see the real goals achieved.

Be strong. Constantly remind yourself of why you’re doing what you’re doing. You’ll do great. Good luck.

Sam, plenty of support here. get those measurements and pix posted. Public comittment really helps with the will power.

I was surprised at the amount of support and encouragement that everyone began providing on the thread that I started. Know that there are a few of us in this together and we will all help each other through…

The first time I took HOT-ROX I had to drop to 1 pill at a time for a couple of days. You might want to try that to see if it helps.

Anyways, welcome and we will keep tabs on you as I hope you do for us.

Keep it up buddy! I’m rite there with you!

Remember it’s all about you will to get it done and YOU CAN DO IT!

Just one Day at a time!

I also agree with Slag… Just cut down to 1 HOT-ROX per day for a little till u feel u can handle more. With experience using similar supplements like LIPO6 among others… I chose to take one pill at a time till i adjust.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

As recommended on the bottle, I took just one pill. The second one (6 hours later) didn’t cause as much jitteryness, so I think I’ll be fine after a while. I’ll give it a couple more days and up the dose to two pills and see what that does. As long as I can get to sleep alright, I can think I can deal with it.

It’s funny, I used to be able to down a mountain dew before bed without any problems. A couple of weeks ago I had a diet Coke at 8pm and couldn’t get to sleep until 4am.

How’s it going? Good luck

Day one is in the bag.

The dietary part went OK. I did feel a bit hungry at around 2:30 this afternoon. I was able to hold out until my next scheduled shake at 3:30. I’m thinking that I might need to switch my “diner” shake to before my workout. On workout days, I won’t typically get home until about 7:30 or so. That leaves two shakes and a recovery drink to take down in about three hours time. Moving it to before my workout would compress the daytime schedule a bit, but it would still work out to about three hours between shakes. Anybody think that this would be fine?

As for the workout, it definitely kicked my ass. I’ve never even thought about working at a pace like that and while the first two exercises went alright, I was draggin’ by the third and really struggling for the fourth. I think that part of it had to do with my weight selection as I tended to underestimate what I should have been using. So, according to the instructions, I considered the first set a warm-up and didn’t include it in the rep count. I think I should have it dialed in by next week. I guess I’ll just have to see how it goes.

Starting measurements:

Height - 5’11"
Weight - 239.2 lbs
Neck - 18"
Shoulders - 52"
Chest - Upper - 49"
Chest - Lower - 49"
Waist - at Navel - 42.5"
Waist - at largest - 43.5"
Hips - at largest - 44"
Upper Arm - L - 16"
Upper Arm - R - 16.5"
Upper Leg - L - 26.5"
Upper Leg - R - 26"
Lower Leg - L - 15.5"
Lower Leg - R - 15.75"
Ankle - L - 9.5"
Ankle - R - 9"

Nice work on Day 1 :slight_smile: How is Day 2 going? Keep us posted!

It’s been fine so far. I didn’t have the same jittery feeling that I had yesterday, although I have been feeling kind of off. It’s hard to put into words, but I just not feeling “normal.”

I did have trouble getting to sleep last night. I normally get around 7-7.5 hours a night but last night was probably closer to 5. I went to bed at a normal time and probably spent about 2 hours tossing and turning. The lack of sleep probably has a lot to do with how I’m feeling today. We’ll see how things go tonight. I just placed an order for Z-12 to try if things don’t improve by the end of the week.

I’m definitely missing the solid food. I was reading through one of the HSM threads earlier today and had to stop about half way through. I thought to myself, “don’t read anymore, it’s just going to make you want to eat.” I guess it’s one of those things that I’ll just have to keep fighting.

Keep at it buddy!

And dont worry about the weight selection. I had to do my first workout over completely about 6hrs later to figure it out cuz i was using too little weight and bumped it up a notch or 4!

Just get focused for tomorrows workout!

If ur a normal gym goer… prep tonight with figuring out what weight is realistic for tomorrow. that helps me out sometimes. other time i just feel it!

[quote]jrsnipe003 wrote:
If ur a normal gym goer… prep tonight with figuring out what weight is realistic for tomorrow. that helps me out sometimes. other time i just feel it![/quote]

Great Idea. I’ll give it a little bit of thought before I head to the Gym tomorrow.

Welcome to the club. I’m starting my V-Diet tonight and have numbers very close to yours so I’m excited to see how much you lose while I’m doing mine. Best of luck to ya!!

Three days down, twenty-five to go.

I don’t think I’m having too much trouble with hunger. At least not much more than I have had with low calorie periods in the past. What is still in full force, however, is the food cravings. Walking through the lunchroom at work has been tough, I think I’m going to start avoiding it when people are in there eating. (I normally walk through the lunchroom at least 20 times a day to get to other areas at work)

Again, the workout was brutal. I can honestly say that I followed the plan pretty closely for the first two exercises, but I was really struggling by the third. I took a long break to catch my breath and got through the last two without too many problems. I suppose I’m just not used to trying to maintain a pace like that. Hopefully, I’ll start getting better by next week.

I guess if it was easy, it probably wouldn’t be worth doing.

Day 4

I feel like it’s getting better. I had to put off my afternoon shake for an extra hour because of a meeting and I was fricken’ hungry by the time it got out. Man that shake was good - probably the best one I’ve had so far. Funny thing is that even though I was ravenously hungry, I started getting full about 2/3rds of the way through.

I think I’m adjusting to the HOT-ROX now and will probably try two pills tomorrow. Not having to get up for work the next day gives my a little leeway to experiment with the higher dosage.

I’ve also been dealing with tendinitis in my left Achilles for the last few months. It started flaring up again yesterday and is limiting my mobility. Walking is uncomfortable, but I can at least still ride the stationary bike without any pain. I’m due for deadlifts tomorrow, so we’ll see how it holds up. I’ll be happy to tough it out as long as I don’t make it any worse.

Day Five:

Today was about the same as yesterday - I had a couple of low moments but overall, I’m still doing pretty good.

I had to forgo the deadlifts today, I just didn’t feel like my ankle was going to take the stress. I did leg extensions instead, which I know was far from Ideal, but I didn’t want to take a chance at making things anything worse. The rest of the workout went just fine, but it did feel a bit incomplete.

Days 6&7:

The weekend went by pretty uneventfully. I did both the V-burn challenge and HSM on Sunday.

The V-burn challenge took a bit longer than it probably should have as I needed to stop a few times between circuits to catch my breath.

For the HSM: I had chicken breast, asparagus, sweet potato, and some tomato. While it was certainly good, I felt a little disappointed in the end. I think that it was maybe a little bit of a letdown after all the anticipation leading up to it.

I weighed in this morning at 234.2, which is a total loss so far of 5 pounds. I’ll get measurements and pictures tonight. That maybe a little less weight loss than I was hoping for, but very good none the less.

Day 8:

Another day is just about done. It’s slowly getting easier. I really have no craving/hunger issues except for the afternoon hours, which makes sense, because that was the time I used to snack quite a bit at work.

Height - 5’11"
Weight - 234.2
Neck - 18"
Shoulders - 52
Chest - Upper - 48 (-1)
Chest - Lower - 48 (-1)
Waist - at Navel -42 (-.5)
Waist - at largest - 42.75 (-.75)
Hips - at largest - 44
Upper Arm - L - 16.5 (+.5)
Upper Arm - R - 16.5
Upper Leg - L - 27 (+.5)
Upper Leg - R - 26.5 (+.5)
Lower Leg - L - 15.75 (+.25)
Lower Leg - R - 15.75
Ankle - L - 9.5
Ankle - R - 9

Some measurements are down, but some are up. I think it’s probably a little tough to take the measurements consistently by yourself. That’s it for now - off to bed.

sam… great job so far buddy. keep up the good work… I would have to agree with the slight letdown of the HSM. Looking forward to seeing your continued success.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.