Biotest

Yerik's Velocity 3.0 Journey

I am looking forward to beginning the Velocity 3.0 program. My wife and I will be doing this together and our supplements should be arriving tomorrow. We are going to start Monday (3/2/09) and have good feelings about this. We have been working out for the last 2 years and have tried to keep a clean diet (has slipped the last few months) and are going to use this opportunity to get back on track.

I will be taking my first official weight and measurements Sunday morning and will post them then. My wife will be doing the Beginner routine and I will use the Intermediate.

I did have a question about the program that I am unclear on. Normal lifting routines, when you get to a certain number of reps for a weight, you increase the weight. On this program, will you be sticking with the same weight throughout the 4 week period and the decrease in rest intervals is where the effort comes in, or will you also increase in weight while decreasing the rest intervals? Sorry if this has been answered before, but it still is unclear after reading the posts from Chris.

Looking forward to following you and your wife’s progress!

As for your training Q, you may want to toss that one to Coach Waterbury in the training Q & A thread. However, I’m pretty sure you stick with the same weight throughout. Just make sure you get the load right in the beginning. This may take some trial and error during the first week.

Thank you for your reply. I will send the question to that topic.

We received our supplements last night and can’t wait until Monday morning. I plan on sticking to the supplement plan with the following exceptions:

I will be taking a multi-vitamin and garlic supplement in the morning with my HOT-ROX.
I will have a cup of Ginseng Tea (no sugar) each work morning.

Will these cause any issues or should I cut them out also for the 4 weeks?

[quote]yerik_89 wrote:
We received our supplements last night and can’t wait until Monday morning. I plan on sticking to the supplement plan with the following exceptions:

I will be taking a multi-vitamin and garlic supplement in the morning with my Hot-Rox.
I will have a cup of Ginseng Tea (no sugar) each work morning.

Will these cause any issues or should I cut them out also for the 4 weeks?[/quote]

Those additions are perfectly fine.

Keep us updated!

I took my starting weight and measurements today and could not believe how quickly the fat can come back when you are not paying attention. I am using the same weight for my waist measurement since my navel was the largest point. I have tried to take each measurement to within 1/8 of an inch.

Height: 6
Weight: 210
Neck: 15.625
Shoulders: 48.75
Chest - Upper: 43.75
Chest - Lower: 43.375
Waist - at Navel: 39.125
Waist - at largest: 39.125
Hips - at largest: 40.875
Upper Arm - L: 15
Upper Arm - R: 15
Upper Leg - L: 25.5
Upper Leg - R: 25.625
Lower Leg - L: 15
Lower Leg - R: 15
Ankle - L: 9
Ankle - R: 9

Tomorrow the fun begins!

*Edit: Sorry I forgot to add my age for those interested.

good luck yerik!

Day #1

5:30am Multi-Vitamins, Garlic, and HOT-ROX
7:00am Breakfast Shake & Flameout
11:00am Lunch Shake & Flameout
11:30am HOT-ROX
2:30pm Mid-Afternoon Shake & Flameout
4:00pm Workout (see blow)
4:20pm Surge Recovery Shake
6:00pm NEPA (see below)
6:40pm Dinner Shake & Flameout
10:00pm Bedtime Shake, Flameout, ZMA

I made a small modification to the workout. My gym does not have a Squat Rack, but uses a Squat Free-Weight Machine
www.total-trainer.com/Detail.bok?id=921
instead. I may have to adjust my squat weight as I determine what weight is best (my best is ~420-430 1RM) on this machine. I will listen to input from those who have done this.

Workout #1
Squats: 360lbs - 5,5,5,3,2
Lat Pulldown: 130lbs - 5,5,5,5
Dumbbell Bench Press: 55 lbs - 5,5,5,5 (may increase this to 60lbs)
Ab-Wheel Rollout: 5,5,4,4,2 (my abs are weak)

NEPA
We walked around out neighborhood twice (2.25 miles total). We have a lot of hills in on our route but were still able to complete it in 37 minutes.

**My wife did have a quest on her workout. For the Plank Hold and Side Plank Hold, it says to hold it as long as you can. How many reps are you suppose to do? The other exercises are for 40 and 50 total reps but does this apply to these two exercises also? Just a little confusion about the number of reps for this.

Never mind on this. I found an answer from Chad Waterbury concerning this:
"Just do one hold for as long as possible in each workout.

If you can hold a plank for 3 minutes, you should probably be doing the intermediate version of the program. "

Day #2

4:30pm NEPA (see below)
6:00pm Dinner Shake & Flameout
10:00pm Bedtime Shake & Flameout

NEPA
My wife was in school tonight so I had to do NEPA by myself. I used our Bowflex TreadClimber and I think I overestimated my speed since it was locked in a permanent incline. I did the first mile at a speed of 4.0 which caused me to be drenched in sweat. I reduced my speed to 3.5 for the second mile, but I still finished the 2 miles with a total of 450 calories burned (based upon weight, speed, distance, and incline).

I’m not sure if this was correct for a NEPA session or if it was too much (I seem to remember that it is not suppose to be a “workout”), but I will let those that know better determine that.

*Edit - Just found out why I was so tired. The Treadclimber is set at a 10% incline.

Keep it up Buddy! Good Work!

Day #3

I was tired today and in an almost constant hungry state. I had to wait 20 minutes after my workout as I was a little nauseous and the sweetness of the Surge was too much right after I was done. A friend of mine is doing the workouts with me (not the diet portion) and I was feeling better by the time he got to the barbell curls. I started the Push-Press exercise at 30lbs but change to 25 to finish. I will be staying at this weight. The Barbell Curl weight is calculated from one side only and does not include the bar.

5:00pm Surge Recovery Shake
5:20pm NEPA (see below)
6:30pm Dinner Shake & Flameout

Workout #2
Reverse Lunge: 20lbs - 9,9,9,9,4
Bent-Over Row (Dumbbells): 40 - 9,9,9,9,4
Push-Press (Dumbbells): (30) 9,8,6 - (25) 8,9
Barbell Curl: 20 - 9,9,7,8,4,3
Reverse Crunch (Floor): 9,9,9,9,4

NEPA
Same as Day #1

Day #4

Today was much better as far as the hunger. While I may have wanted some food, it wasn’t a constant, nagging feeling like it was yesterday. Also, I am very sore today. Between the Reverse Lunges and the Push-Presses, my quadriceps have been howling all day. It stretched out some during my NEPA, but I still am walking a little funny :slight_smile:

5:30pm NEPA (see below)

NEPA
Same as last night

Day #5

The Deadlift weight is calculated from one side only and does not include the bar. I will probably be bumping up the Decline Dumbbells to 45lbs.

2:00pm Mid-Afternoon Shake & Flameout
4:30pm Surge Recovery Shake
5:20pm NEPA (see below)

Workout #3
Deadlift: 60lbs - 9,9,9,9,4
Decline Dumbbell Bench Press: 40lbs - 9,9,9,9,4
Lat Pulldown: 110lbs - 9,9,8,5,5,4
Hand Walkout: 9,9,9,9,4

NEPA
Same as Day #1

Day #6

My first V-Burn Challenge day and HSM!

Felt good to sleep in today although it is pushing my shake intake off my normal schedule. Most of the soreness I have felt all week doesn?t seem too bad today. My wife and I decided to use our V-Burn day as our HSM so we can take our time preparing and savoring the meal.

9:30am Multi-Vitamins, Garlic, and HOT-ROX
9:45am Breakfast Shake & Flameout
11:00am V-Burn Challenge (see below)
1:15pm Lunch Shake & Flameout
2:00pm HOT-ROX
3:30pm Mid-Afternoon Shake & Flameout
7:00pm HSM (see below)
11:00pm Bedtime Shake & Flameout

Workout #4: V-Burn Challenge (6 circuits):
Jump Squat
Hand Walk-out from knees
Single-Leg Deadlifts
Push-Up claps
Jumping Jacks
Reverse Lunge - twist
Pike Push-Up
Squat Thrust

Wow, this kicked my butt. I started out too fast and I was ready to throw up by the end of the 2nd circuit. I will need to keep a more steady pace next time and improve my time. Total Time: 28:50

HSM:
Salad: Mixture of baby romaine, tango, and radicchio with a light balsamic vinaigrette dressing

Starch: Whole-wheat couscous with green onions, diced carrots, and fresh Italian parsley mixed in.

Meat: Chicken breast prepared with red onions and garlic. Once it is cooked, remove the meat and add in diced fresh broccoli and crinkled-cut carrots with Mrs. Dash. Mix the meat back in and serve together.

Dessert: Mixture of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries (1 cup).

28:50? Wow, I’m impressed, well done sir.

Thanks for the complement, I didn’t know what a good time would be for the first V-Burn. I really thought I had done poorly since I stopped so many times to keep from vomiting.

I guess we will see how I do next week as I take a more steady pace and try to limit the “gasping” moments :slight_smile:

you did ten reps ‘each leg’ on the single-leg stuff right? if so, then you did very well in my opinion. keep it up.

According to what I read (see below), you are only suppose to do 5 reps each leg for the 1 leg exercises. If that has changed, I will need to adjust it next week.

Listed under the V-Burn section
http://www.T-Nation.com/programs/vdiet30/vDietProgram005.jsp

Reps and Tempo

Perform 10 reps of each exercise. For the single-limb exercises, do five reps on each side, for a total of 10. (The single-limb exercises are listed in yellow.)

As with the strength exercises, your goal is to perform the lifting and lowering phases as fast as possible while maintaining good form.

hahaha. thanks. that would explain why mine was so tough and I posted such a relatively slow time…

Day #7

Thanks to the time changing and our battery being dead on our scale, everything was thrown off today. I hate days like this as I always feel like I am playing catch-up regardless of what I am doing. Why do we continue to do the whole “time-change” thing? In the modern era, what purpose does it serve? With the exception of pissing me off twice a year.

I was also having difficulties getting accurate measurements today, so I am going to put this off until next week. I did weigh-in and I am down 3.8lbs.

10:00am Multi-Vitamins, Garlic, and HOT-ROX
10:00am Breakfast Shake & Flameout
1:00pm Lunch Shake & Flameout
3:00pm HOT-ROX
4:00pm Mid-Afternoon Shake & Flameout
6:00pm NEPA (see below)
7:00pm Dinner Shake & Flameout
*10:00pm NyQuil

NEPA
I’ve had a slight fever and have felt dizzy all day so we did a short walk tonight, only 1 lap (1.1 mile). I figured something would be better than nothing. Hopefully, I will be feeling better tomorrow since I start week 2 of the workouts.

*Fever is still strong and I am extremely nauseous. Going to skip last shake and take some NyQuil to hopefully kick this tonight.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.