Biotest

Why Total Body Workouts Over Splits?

Not sure if this has been answered before, i couldnt find it in a search - Just curiousity really, Shugart states in the original Figure Athlete article (paraphrasing here, not sure exact wording) - pick a workout & stick to it, just make sure its total body.

Just found this:

For one thing, you need a post-workout drink after each lifting session. If you adopt, say, a 5 day split, that would add two drinks more than a 3 day full body plan, equaling about 600 extra calories and 100 extra carbs per week. (Plus the extra cost of supplements.)

And if you get great results with 3 sessions a week, why do 5 or 6? You won’t necessarily feel like lifting that much anyway.

That’s what I come back to often: what works best. Three full body sessions work better than a 5 or 6 way split on the V-Diet. Go with what has been proven to work best. Use your off days for NEPA only.

If only 3 lifting sessions a week leaves you itching to train more, GOOD. Put that enthusiasm into your 3 weight training workouts each week. Make them count.

Note: I do like splits better than full body training when NOT on the V-Diet.

Sorry Shugart, i should have eleborated, i was referring to a 3 day split like legs/shoulders, back/bis & legs/tris or legs, push & pull.

Id already asked about the 5-6 day split before i considered the extra calories…

[quote]sjfou wrote:
Sorry Shugart, i should have eleborated, i was referring to a 3 day split like legs/shoulders, back/bis & legs/tris or legs, push & pull.
.[/quote]

Too infrequent.

Plus you’d be tempted to tear each muscle group up since you’re not training many muscles per session. You don’t want that on a strict diet. Save it for a hypertrophy-focused phase. Your goal here is fat loss and muscle maintenance, not muscle gain.

K, thanks again.