Biotest

Why Do Women Eat More Cals?

It appears that men are consuming less cals than women. Why is this?

Men

Plug body weight into this equation:

(10.2 x bodyweight + 879) x .50 = _____

Now do it again with this equation:

(10.2 x bodyweight + 879) x .60 = _____

Larger number is your calorie goal for lifting days; smaller number is for non-lifting days.

Women

Plug body weight into this equation:

(10.2 x bodyweight + 879) x .52 = _____

Now do it again with this equation:

(10.2 x bodyweight + 879) x .65 = _____

I’d like to know the answer to this as well.

Women have more fat than men to carry. What do you think tits are made of?

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Women have more fat than men to carry. What do you think tits are made of?[/quote]

but men have more lean mass, thus higher metabolisms, thus the need for slightly more calories.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
but men have more lean mass, thus higher metabolisms, thus the need for slightly more calories.[/quote]

Also true. Well, back at square one then. :frowning:

where did you get those calorie equation from? nice…i need to eat more haha

My immediate thoughts are that

1. Women’s normal hormone cykles are more sensitive to cutting in calories
  2. Men are more naturally “anabolic” so to speak, thanks to their testosterone. Testosterone in it self is muscle sparing and fat waisting. Women, on the other hand, need to keep their calories a bit higher to maintain as much anabolic stimuli as possible.

This is nothing I have read up on, so don’t hold me up on it :wink: I just tried putting to and to together from my courses in physiology and endocrinology. :wink:

I have no idea where the calorie equations came from. But I think the reason why women are need to maintain more calories than men is because as one can imagine their menstrual cycle is pretty hormone intensive requiring more fat. Also it’s well known that women with low fat percentage are more likely than men to encounter hormone imbalance and medical issues in the future. I suppose that’s what you get for being the bearers of the next generation.

[quote]echelon101 wrote:
I suppose that’s what you get for being the bearers of the next generation.[/quote]

If men could give birth, we wouldn’t whine about it :wink:

Chris Shugart said that it’s because women tend to weigh less and he doesn’t want them to drop cals too low. Think qabout it: If you have a woman who is 5’ tall, but weight 140, she would only be eating 1153 cal day on non workout days. That’s way too low.

closed #11

closed #12

closed #13