Biotest

White BBQ Sauce

This one originally appeared in the <a href="http://velocity.t-nation.com/strength-training-blog/chris-shugart"target=“new”>LiveSpill. Here it is again in case you missed it:

[center]The Sauce [/center]
[center] [/center]
“I’m baking a big salmon tonight. What do you want to go with it?” I asked my wife.

“The Sauce!” she said.

I knew she’d say that. She always says that.

We don’t even call it by its real name anymore. It’s “The Sauce.” Yes, capitalized as a proper noun.

The Sauce goes with everything: fish, fowl, beef, pork, grilled vegetables, you name it. My favorite way to have it is poured over the top of a lean beef brisket.

What is it? Technically it’s called Alabama white barbeque sauce, but really, it’s not very barbeque-saucy tasting. Here’s my healthed-up version known simply as…

[center]The Sauce [/center]
The Stuff

1 cup mayonnaise * (I used a reduced-calorie, olive-oil based mayo)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Hefty grind of black pepper
Dash of salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more if you like your heat

[center] [/center]
How to Make the Stuff

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, chill, resist urge to eat with a spoon.

Variations

Use a different flavor of vinegar. Apple cider vinegar works really well, but play around with whatever you like. Lime juice instead of lemon adds a cool twist too.

• Finding a decent store-bought mayo is the tricky part here. Most are full of crap, so you have to just look for the least crappy. Or learn to make your own mayo. Spectrum brand has some “health food” mayos if you can find them.

[center] [/center]

Enjoy. – Chris

Chris, i was just curious as to how long you think a batch of this will keep in the fridge?

[quote]Eazy wrote:
Chris, i was just curious as to how long you think a batch of this will keep in the fridge?[/quote]

A few days at least. But we eat it up pretty quickly at my house!

Why would you not expect this sauce to last as long as the expiry date on the mayonnaise you used?

Did you ever come up with a “BBQ” tasting sauce recipe?

[quote]tomkade wrote:
Did you ever come up with a “BBQ” tasting sauce recipe? [/quote]

Not yet.

Mmmm … homemade mayonnaise. It’s really super-easy to make, I remember doing this in the restaurant I worked at coming out of high school.

Here’s Ramsay whipping up a batch:

[quote]BradenW wrote:

Here’s Ramsay whipping up a batch:

[/quote]

Good stuff. What kind of oil is that again? I’m Texan so I can’t understand proper English.

Yeah, apparently he is saying “groundnut”, which translates to “peanut oil”, from my understanding. Chosen because it doesn’t add flavour. But I have to admit, it makes me wonder about something like almond oil? Maybe have to give it a run and see how the nutty flavour adds to it …

[quote]BradenW wrote:
Yeah, apparently he is saying “groundnut”, which translates to “peanut oil”, from my understanding. Chosen because it doesn’t add flavour. But I have to admit, it makes me wonder about something like almond oil? Maybe have to give it a run and see how the nutty flavour adds to it …[/quote]

I’d use olive oil. I’ve had store-bought flax oil mayo that was good too.

Definitely. Would you avoid Peanut oil for any particular reason, or just because you prefer olive?

[quote]BradenW wrote:
Definitely. Would you avoid Peanut oil for any particular reason, or just because you prefer olive?[/quote]

Peanut oil is okay (just not microwaved, according to Dr. Lowery); olive is just better in my book, plus it just goes well with mayo.

I thought he was saying canola oil, but either way I agree with Chris, light olive oil works great