Biotest

Whey/Casein Ratio?

I found a protein blend with whey and micellar casein that has 24g protein, 1g fat, 125 cal, and 4 carbs per scoop. I thought it was good until i read a post about the importance of the ratio between whey and casein… how can i determine that?

I use one that is 80% Micellar Casein and 20% Whey.

Basically the natural ratio of Milk.

It’s pretty well impossible to determine for the average person w/o a laboratory. If I recall correctly, I made a comment to that effect in the thread you refer to.

Unless you buy a custom protein from the proteinfactory.com store, or from a similar store, there’s no way to know for sure.

About the only way to guesstimate it is to look at the ingredient list. If it’s the 2nd or 3rd ingredient you’re probably ok. Other than that I’d really just buy

a) a custom blend from proteinfactory

b) Metabolic Drive

c) from a company you trust.

Those are about the only ways to go. A trusted company is the best thing ever.

[quote]Lady_J wrote:
I found a protein blend with whey and micellar casein that has 24g protein, 1g fat, 125 cal, and 4 carbs per scoop. I thought it was good until i read a post about the importance of the ratio between whey and casein… how can i determine that?[/quote]

Can you tell us the brand? Someone here may have experience with it and be able to answer your question.

[quote]Falco1 wrote:
Lady_J wrote:
I found a protein blend with whey and micellar casein that has 24g protein, 1g fat, 125 cal, and 4 carbs per scoop. I thought it was good until i read a post about the importance of the ratio between whey and casein… how can i determine that?

Can you tell us the brand? Someone here may have experience with it and be able to answer your question.[/quote]

it’s multi-pro whey isolate blend…

I cannot find any data to support the ratio. If I were a betting man, based on the ingredient list with 3 different types of whey being listed before the casien, I would say that there is a very small whey:casein ration. This would result in a definate failure on this diet.

I am speaking from experience. I myself, a few years ago, tried to cut costs and go with Nitrean (another reputable company) that has a whey/casien blend. The shakes were real thin unless I put about 1/2 cup of water in them. This meant a low whey: casein ratio which was confirmed by an employee of AtLarge Nutrition.

Because of this, I was constantly hungry and the shakes were never satisfying. I did complete the 28 days, but my results were sub par. This was due to the fact that my HSMs were out of control because I was so hungry. It aslo led to a pickle here, some celery there to try and compensate for the hunger.

Don’t get me wrong, I did lose weight, but I suffered and was miserable the whole time.

I would highly suggest saving the $$$ to get MD and do it as prescribed.

If you choose to go an alternative route like the protein you stated, be ready to be miserably hungry and really have to fight urges to eat. This is because the whey digests so quickly.

You could choose to buy whey and pure casien to mix your own, but I think in the end, the cost wouldn’t be much different. Also, you add a variable into the diet that the MD erases, the simplicty and no need to worry about ratios and figuring out calories and so forth based on the new protein.

What ever route you choose, I wish you all the luck in obtaining your goals.

[quote]Falco1 wrote:
You could choose to buy whey and pure casien to mix your own, but I think in the end, the cost wouldn’t be much different. Also, you add a variable into the diet that the Metabloic Drive erases, the simplicty and no need to worry about ratios and figuring out calories and so forth based on the new protein.

What ever route you choose, I wish you all the luck in obtaining your goals.[/quote]

I’ve done the V-Diet several times with Optimum Nutrition whey and casein. For $50 I get a 2 lb container of each, rather than spend $35 on a 2 lb container of Metabolic Drive. Using the MD costs 40% more.

[quote]Tanizaki wrote:
Falco1 wrote:
You could choose to buy whey and pure casien to mix your own, but I think in the end, the cost wouldn’t be much different. Also, you add a variable into the diet that the Metabloic Drive erases, the simplicty and no need to worry about ratios and figuring out calories and so forth based on the new protein.

What ever route you choose, I wish you all the luck in obtaining your goals.

I’ve done the V-Diet several times with Optimum Nutrition whey and casein. For $50 I get a 2 lb container of each, rather than spend $35 on a 2 lb container of Metabolic Drive. Using the MD costs 40% more.[/quote]

As I said, that definately is an approach one could take. I just choose not to do it because I don’t want to worry about mixing protein ratios and so forth. It is all a matter of one’s tastes. Also, a lot of people do this diet because of the simplicity, not having to think about anything. When it comes down to it, ya just got to do what is best for your situation.

I have noticed the company that advertises their blend at 80/20 Casein to Whey. Will this blend be more/less beneficial on the V-Diet? Say I were to take Metabolic Drive throughout the day and possibly this protein for my last two shakes to get the benefits of a higher dose of Casein…

Thoughts?

The protein from that company is Micellar Casein and Whey both are Isolate. The quality is top of the line.

I feel full using both products. One is simply more viable financially for me.

A word about subbing out Metabolic Drive for something cheaper:

First, those who do it have a much lower success rate, have reported muscle loss, and generally have a tougher time sticking with the diet. I base this on over 3 years of feedback.

Second, if you find a cheap protein powder that claims to have a high micellar casein content like Metabolic Drive, I’d be weary. There’s no way they can make a profit on their product if it truly has what it says it has. In some cases, they may be falsifying their labels, or replacing some of the protein with cheap maltodextrin. Happens so often it’s scary, and it would RUIN the V-Diet.

So basically, if you’re being sold a Ferrari for the price of a Hyundai, I’d be a little worried about what’s under the hood.

Last, there’s other reasons to use Metabolic Drive besides the protein blend. Here’s just one: glucono-delta-lactone.

GDL basically facilitates the body’s ability to digest and utilize protein. And you don’t find it in cheapo knockoffs. I’d hate to drink 5-6 shakes a day without GDL in there. (Glucono-delta-lactone helps with protein digestion by nourishing the “good” bacteria in the GI tract.)

I understand how some non-US residents are forced to use protein substitutes, but if you want to succeed, use Metabolic Drive. I mean, spending a little more to have great success is better than saving a few bucks but ultimately failing.

And by the way, although I work for Biotest I make nothing extra at this time based on protein sales. I make the same salary even if you use a knock-off product. I just want you to succeed with the V-Diet, and those who most often succeed use Metabolic Drive.

there are some companies that make custom proteins i won’t mention names look for yourselves. Metabolic Drive is a great protein no doubt and you can’t buy GDL separate and put in custom protein shakes, but if you’re really are dead set on NOT using Metabolic Drive which doesn’t seem like the best idea unless you truly know what you are doing, you could always use the stevia packets w/ inulin in your coffee and tea. they have 0 cal and 0 carb. this would help nourish the bacteria to digest the protein. not trying to make Biotest lose money here just offering some help to someone who might need it.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
A word about subbing out Metabolic Drive for something cheaper:

First, those who do it have a much lower success rate, have reported muscle loss, and generally have a tougher time sticking with the diet. I base this on over 3 years of feedback.

Second, if you find a cheap protein powder that claims to have a high micellar casein content like Metabolic Drive, I’d be weary. There’s no way they can make a profit on their product if it truly has what it says it has. In some cases, they may be falsifying their labels, or replacing some of the protein with cheap maltodextrin. Happens so often it’s scary, and it would RUIN the V-Diet.

So basically, if you’re being sold a Ferrari for the price of a Hyundai, I’d be a little worried about what’s under the hood.

Last, there’s other reasons to use Metabolic Drive besides the protein blend. Here’s just one: glucono-delta-lactone.

GDL basically facilitates the body’s ability to digest and utilize protein. And you don’t find it in cheapo knockoffs. I’d hate to drink 5-6 shakes a day without GDL in there. (Glucono-delta-lactone helps with protein digestion by nourishing the “good” bacteria in the GI tract.)

I understand how some non-US residents are forced to use protein substitutes, but if you want to succeed, use Metabolic Drive. I mean, spending a little more to have great success is better than saving a few bucks but ultimately failing.

And by the way, although I work for Biotest I make nothing extra at this time based on protein sales. I make the same salary even if you use a knock-off product. I just want you to succeed with the V-Diet, and those who most often succeed use Metabolic Drive.

[/quote]

Well said. So the solution is to make your own whey/casein blend if you can’t use Metabolic Drive. I mixed ON whey and casein, we all know their stuff is high quality. I made a 50/50 mixture, so the ratio has at LEAST as much casein as Metabolic Drive.

Chris,
If you’re allowed to, can you name some companies that use malto and/or don’t give correct information on their labels? Thanks.

Get Biotest in Europe :slight_smile:

Don’t confuse being popular with being high quality.

Actually the protein that I was talking about is more expensive than Metabolic Drive so I’m not trying to take the cheap way out which I know is a recipe for failure.

Would the extra Casein content be beneficial when on the V-Diet or is the 50/50 blend optimal?

[quote]cpcloud wrote:
Chris,
If you’re allowed to, can you name some companies that use malto and/or don’t give correct information on their labels? Thanks.[/quote]

I’d rather not get sued today.

[quote]BackDay wrote:
Actually the protein that I was talking about is more expensive than MD so I’m not trying to take the cheap way out which I know is a recipe for failure.

Would the extra Casein content be beneficial when on the V-Diet or is the 50/50 blend optimal?[/quote]

The optimal blend is in Metabolic Drive.

I don’t suggest these things randomly.

[quote]lowlight wrote:
I mixed ON whey and casein, we all know their stuff is high quality. [/quote]

We do?