Biotest

What a Healthy Solid Meal Should Look Like


#1

Probably a bit much, but healthy. Pick a food that you normally have gotten tired of, i.e. chicken breast for me. You will redevelop your appreciation for it. This is one of the principles the V-diet is all about. Reprogramming your tastes for the type of foods we should be eating everyday.

This was my first solid meal, and it was great. I chose not to include any carbohydrates because honestly, I’m too fat, and I don 't deserve them. I get enough with my peri/ post work-out shake. I never had a problem eating carbohydrates, so why do I want to reinforce a liking for them? I also believe I’m not very carb tolerant.

If you’re wondering, its chicken breast, sandwiched between 3 grilled portabello mushrooms topped with freshly minced garlic and basil and grilled asparagus. I got a pretty nice dose of fats, as everything was lightly drizzled in extra virgin olive oil. Let’s just say i was STUFFED by the end, and normally this would be about half of my normal meal.

This Sunday, I would like to get some nice grass-fed beef if I can find it. Steamed broccoli is on the menu as well. Stay tuned.


#2

Looks great!


#3

Don’t you have about 25 g carbs there ?


#4

That meal is strangely arousing.


#5

I’m sure theres carbohydrates there, plenty of fiber though.

Heres a picture of the grille my very kind uncle gave to me as a present. The chicken turned out very well. Didn’t dry out one bit… or maybe it did but I couldn’t tell because my mouth was salivating so bad that even the most overcooked piece of meat would taste great.

By the way, I found some grass fed steaks at Whole Foods so I’ll be making that this Sunday. I’ll probably post pictures.


#6

Why wont this picture work.


#7

What kind of grill is it? I would love to find one that can cook a decent piece of chicken. My Foreman grill is very convenient but it dries it out so badly it doesn’t taste good anymore.


#8

its a DeLonghi electric indoor/outdoor grill. its got a glass tempered lid that goes over it, along with this little heated bowl in the center of the grill that allows you to add herbs and spices so the flavor becomes sorta infused into the meat. the meat was flavorful.

i’ve done thee foreman thing and its okay i guess. it does dry out meat really fast and sorta a pain to clean. this thing is kinda a pain to clean… but i’m only using it once a week :wink:


#9

[quote]allenkt wrote:
What kind of grill is it? I would love to find one that can cook a decent piece of chicken. My Foreman grill is very convenient but it dries it out so badly it doesn’t taste good anymore.[/quote]

WHA?!?!?! How long are you leaving it on there? My foreman makes it perfect and juicy and tender and delicious! seriously, I love the formen. I dont know what I would be eating nowadays if I didn’t have one. I’m certainly not handy around the kitchen. (Hoping to explore more cooking after velocity).

But really, I’ve learned that if you take the chicken off when it looks a little pink tinted still on the inside (cut it open and take a peak) and then let it sit a minute, the pink goes away, it’s moist and ready to go.

Sounds like you might be leaving it on there too long :slight_smile:


#10

[quote]kakattack wrote:

WHA?!?!?! How long are you leaving it on there? My foreman makes it perfect and juicy and tender and delicious! seriously, I love the formen. I dont know what I would be eating nowadays if I didn’t have one. I’m certainly not handy around the kitchen. (Hoping to explore more cooking after velocity).

But really, I’ve learned that if you take the chicken off when it looks a little pink tinted still on the inside (cut it open and take a peak) and then let it sit a minute, the pink goes away, it’s moist and ready to go.

Sounds like you might be leaving it on there too long :)[/quote]

Hmmm…entirely possible that I’m leaving it on too long. I guess I’m too paranoid about undercooked chicken. But by the time it’s done cooking it’s pretty dry and the outside is tough. I’ll try cooking it differently in about 24 days :slight_smile: But I gotta say that DeLonghi grill sounds fantastic, I think it had me at the point he mentioned the place for herbs and spices :slight_smile:


#11

Chris,

I am following a diet that consists of 35% Protein. 30% carbohydrates, and 35% fat and I train my whole body 3 times per week with weights in addition to doing 3 15 minute energy systems sessions perweek.

My bodfat percentage is about 17%. My goal is to add mas and strength in the next year. Should I be worried about my current bodyfat percentage given my goals of mass and strength?

Marti


#12

[quote]marti wrote:
Chris,

I am following a diet that consists of 35% Protein. 30% carbohydrates, and 35% fat and I train my whole body 3 times per week with weights in addition to doing 3 15 minute energy systems sessions perweek.

My bodfat percentage is about 17%. My goal is to add mas and strength in the next year. Should I be worried about my current bodyfat percentage given my goals of mass and strength?

Marti[/quote]

I’m not Chris, but I’ll try to answer your question. Gaining mass and strength at 17% isn’t a problem. IMO it’s a matter of personal preference. You’ll most likely look way better if you cut down to ~12%, then CLEAN bulk up to 15% and repeat the cycle until you look well… how you want to look.

Read the articles on this site. They’re free and fantastic.

Oh and this is the Velocity Diet section of the forum. You should look around at the stickies in the beginners section, supps and nutrition section, bodybuilding and/or strength sports sections.


#13

heres a couple pics of my meal this past sunday.

started off with a salad consisting of baby greens, half a vine ripened tomato, lots of broccoli sprouts (very high in antioxidants), EVOO, sea salt and fresh ground pepper.

main course was grass fed new york strip, grilled shittake mushrooms and grilled broccoli spears.

i also had a handful of blueberries picked off the bush in my yard!! enjoy the pics!


#14

looks delicious, dont portabellas pack around 25 grams of protein each to?


#15

the steak was amazing! expensive but one solid meal a week calls for a splurge. if you don’t know the benefits of grass-fed beef i’m not gonna delve into them. it has a much more beneficial fatty acid profile compared to corn-fed beef. shittake mushrooms are very high in antioxidants as well.


#16

I don’t think so. Not sure where that number came from. I could be wrong though. Last picture… I almost forgot about the blueberry bush in my yard. I’m gonna pick as many as I can and freeze them for later use.


#17

I just looked up nutrition facts for portabello mushrooms. The vast majority say 100g of mushrooms has 2.5 grams of protein. So you were right with the number, I guess wrong with the decimal… I think that 100g is about 6 medium sized mushrooms?


#18

Oh and dolce, the food porn is driving me nuts! I don’t even like mushrooms and I want to grab em out of my screens, specially the first picture.

Which brings me to a weird point. I’ve noticed that I’m not craving junk bad at all, but I watch Food Network HD 24/7. BUT, when I watch it, the entire time I think about how to make the dish healthy. Weird change right?


#19

[quote]ViciousDelicious wrote:
Oh and dolce, the food porn is driving me nuts! I don’t even like mushrooms and I want to grab em out of my screens, specially the first picture.
[/quote]

That’s funny…I’m scrolling down and looking at the pictures and the exact words in my head are “Food Porn…”

I wonder if I can hire you to cook my HSM? Yours all look soooo yummy. :slight_smile:

I googled “eggs” this morning and just stared at the pictures. I’m pathetic.


#20