Biotest

Well...It's Time -- UPDATE PHOTO PROGRESS

I have decided to give the V-Diet a go! A little background info of me: I’ve been working out for a few years now. At certain points during that time I would look at myself and wanted to get leaner. So I tried to lean out, the wrong way of course, and would be losing weight but strength as well. I said fuck that I don’t want to get weaker, so I then started eating more and more to get stronger. I did that back and forth a couple of times and decided enough is enough. I want to lean out to a decent BF% and start adding muscle/strength from there, while hopefully maintaining that lower BF%.

Lately I have pretty much switched to a paleo/primal type diet for about 3 weeks now. I dropped all grains/wheat products from my diet and I already feel and look a little better. While waiting for the V-Diet, will start on July 25th, I am doing a high fat, high protein diet with carb timing around my workout. The carbs around my workout are usually waxy maize starch and I will throw in some fruit with my before and/or after meals.

I’ll be posting my measurements and pictures in the next post. Can’t wait for July 25th. :slight_smile:

Height 5"10
Weight 201 lbs

Measurements:
Neck 16"
Chest Upper 44.5"
Chest Lower 44"
Waist at Navel 36"
Waist at Largest 36.5"
Hips at Largest 35.5"
Upper Arm L 15"
Upper Arm R 15"
Upper Leg L 25.5"
Upper Leg R 25.5"
Low Leg L 16"
Low Leg R 16"
Ankle L 9.5"
Ankle R 9.5"

First Photo Front Relaxed

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/b/3/b33bc_ORIG-Side_Edit.jpg

To make this easier I will just put all 3 photos together.

V-Diet is almost here, and I am a bit worried. I am not worried that I will fail it because I won’t, but I am worried about losing the strength I’ve gained over the past few months. I think it is just a mindset that I have, that when it comes to any kind of cut or diet my strength is going to suffer. I need to get that out of my head, I would like to at least maintain my strength and it would be great if it improved.

This is where my strength stands now, since getting back from a deployment early April and thanks to 5/3/1:

Bench 305x7
Deadlift 405x10
Squat ATG 290x16 315x12 <<<my weak lift

Was anyone else worried going into the V-Diet about this? Also, for those who conditioned a lot, did your conditioning suffer at all from the V diet from not doing any? I do sprints-speed work 3-4 times a week and I am a little worried about that as well.

I was worried I’d lose strength, but I actually ended up putting more weight on each workout. To be honest, I was far enough gone I knew getting lean was a good idea regardless if I would lose even a little.

Dan John recommends the diet for mass made simple and thats a mass phase so if you do lose any, I highly doubt it will be something you can’t fix during the transition phase.

[quote]KcThrows wrote:
I was worried I’d lose strength, but I actually ended up putting more weight on each workout. To be honest, I was far enough gone I knew getting lean was a good idea regardless if I would lose even a little.

Dan John recommends the diet for mass made simple and thats a mass phase so if you do lose any, I highly doubt it will be something you can’t fix during the transition phase. [/quote]

Good to hear from someone who experienced the V Diet already. :slight_smile:

…and sorry if I miss understood, but were you saying Dan Jogn recommends the V Diet for the mass made simple?

Welcome!

Any losses of strength are temporary with any diet. And while your bench may go down a little (or it may not) your pull-ups, push-ups, vertical jump and dips will go up because you’re be dumping a lot of nonfunctional weight – body fat.

It’s all about perspective.

And if a very overweight guys loses fat he’ll lose it from his chest and back, which will increase the range of motion on the bench press, which will cause his bench numbers to go down. But is that real strength loss? Not really; it just seems like it.

Also, you’re not a powerlifter. Why do you care if your bench goes down for a few weeks as you totally transform how your body looks and performs? You gonna lose money? Lose an endorsement deal? No, “I don’t want to lose strength” is often a rationalization of the chubby guy who just doesn’t want to diet.

Not aiming all that at you, just ranting. In the end, you might not lose strength at all.

Keep us posted!

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

Also, you’re not a powerlifter. Why do you care if your bench goes down for a few weeks as you totally transform how your body looks and performs? You gonna lose money? Lose an endorsement deal? No, “I don’t want to lose strength” is often a rationalization of the chubby guy who just doesn’t want to diet.

Not aiming all that at you, just ranting. In the end, you might not lose strength at all.

Keep us posted!

[/quote]

I never really thought of it or looked at it that way. I mean, I have all the time in the world, the rest of my life really, to get stronger and bigger once I get down to my ideal shape.

Chris, even though it is pretty much too late(I already have all my supps)but based on my pictures do you think I should be doing the V Diet? This is something I should have asked before hand, I feel like it will do me wonders, I just wanted to get someone else opinion, an experts opinion, on the matter.

Day 1 starts tomorrow, I am excited and can’t wait to get this fat burning started. I will start tomorrow off, with a shake first, and then giving the V Burn Challenge a go.

Yes, I think you’re a good candidate for the V-Diet: you’ve got some good muscle under there, just need to wipe out that layer of fat covering it. Those who already have some muscle and just a smaller layer of fat usually make for the best “before and afters” vs. those with tons of weight to lose or those with little muscle underneath. So the V-Diet is perfect for you.

Well, it was a bad idea doing the V Burn Challenge(intermediate) on a track in 95 degree plus temperatures. lol It wasn’t the fact I couldn’t complete it, I did, but doing some of the exercises on the track’s surface. After doing two rounds of the hand walkouts I had a couple blisters on my hands. So, for the remaining 4 circuits I just did 10 jumping jacks instead and the rest of the exercises on the grass.

My stop watch got messed up after two rounds but I reset it for the last 4 and ended up being 19 minutes right on the dot. I would guess the whole 6 circuits took me about 28 minutes. It was a lot harder than I thought it was.

What the hell should I do with these blisters? Pop them and cover them up? I don’t want them effecting any of my workouts.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Yes, I think you’re a good candidate for the V-Diet: you’ve got some good muscle under there, just need to wipe out that layer of fat covering it. Those who already have some muscle and just a smaller layer of fat usually make for the best “before and afters” vs. those with tons of weight to lose or those with little muscle underneath. So the V-Diet is perfect for you.

[/quote]

Thanks, Chris. That is good to hear.

First intermediate workout today. Chris, sorry but I went with the back squats still. That is a lift I have to consistently do or I lose it like that. I started the morning off with a 40 minute walk before my first shake then about 1.5 hrs after the shake I headed to the gym:

Total Reps 20
Rest 30 Seconds
Load Heavy (4-5 RM)

A. Back Squat 315 x5 x4 x4 x3 x4(huh?)
B. Chin-Ups Underhand Grip BW+50lbs x5 x5 x4 x4 x2
C. Dumbell Bench Press 115’s x5 x5 x5 x3 x2
D. Ab-Wheel Rollout x10 x10 …gym doesn’t have a weighted vest, any suggestions?

• Shoulder pre/rehab work & other stretching

315 felt heavy today, I’ll probably shoot for 325 next week. The 30 secs between sets was pretty rough, but I got through it.

Note: Other supplements I am taking while on the V-Diet:
Multivitamin (Opti-Men)
Vitamin D-3 (Now)
ZMA (Now) and Melatonin before bed (my sleep has been shitty as of late)
Creatine Monohydrate & Beta-Alanine (TrueProtein)
L-Leucine 4:1:1 (TrueProtein…to make up for the out of stock L-Leucine from Biotest)

Well, my friends are over and I have to deal with them eating my favorite meal in front of me. The temptation to eat it wasn’t really there, but it smelled really good.

Damn it that pizza looks good! I had a graduation party that was catered with all kinds of great italian food during my first week, and had to fill my wife and kids’ plates. It sucked, but I was glad I stuck with the plan.
Mix up some natural PB and chocolate protein powder and tell them how much they’re missing out on your peanutbutter cup goop! lol

[quote]SWR wrote:
Damn it that pizza looks good! I had a graduation party that was catered with all kinds of great italian food during my first week, and had to fill my wife and kids’ plates. It sucked, but I was glad I stuck with the plan.
Mix up some natural PB and chocolate protein powder and tell them how much they’re missing out on your peanutbutter cup goop! lol[/quote]

Haha. I’ll let them know they’re missing out. Last night was Burger King in front of me. Even though I have only been on the V Diet for going on 4 days now I swear I can smell food better, if that makes any sense. I usually go to bed and wake up in the morning to the thought of solid food, but nothing I can’t get through. The rest of the day is easy to get by, night time is always the hardest. Planning on having my first HSM on Friday.

Todays activity:
Woke up, popped 2 HOT-ROX pills, took the dog for about a 30 minute walk.

Workout:

Total Reps 40
Rest 45 Seconds
Load Medium (8-9 RM)

A. Reverse Lunge 185 x8 x8 x8 x8 x8 <<1st time doing these, could’ve went heavier
B. Bent Over Row w/ Underhand Grip 185 x8 x8 x8 x8 x8 <<again should’ve went heavier
C. Push Press (w/ little leg drive) 175x8 x8 x7 x7 x5 x5
D. Barbell Curl 95x9 x9 x8 x6 x5 x3
E. Reverse Crunch w/ 18lb ball x20 x20

Total Reps 40
Rest 45 Seconds
Load Medium (8-9 RM)

A. Deadlift 405 x6 x4 x3 x3 x3 x1 Felt kinda tired/weak going into today…went too heavy so just went for 20 total reps…pissed…
B. DB Bench Palms In 100’s x8 x8 x6 x5 x4 x3 x3 x3
C. Pull-Ups Neutral Grip BW+25lbs x9 x9 x6 x6 x4 x5 x1
D. Hand Walkout - From Toes x10 x10 x10 x10…these burn my shoulders more than anything
*Shoulder pre/rehab work & stretching…downed 2 scoops Surge Recovery

Will be having 3rd shake soon and then next will be my first HSM of the V Diet.

First HSM was amazing, I’m stuffed. Food never tasted so good.

Here is a few pics. :slight_smile:

Finished:

Filet Mignon
Grilled Sweet Potato “Tiger” Fries
Grilled Tomatoes
Handful of strawberries
A big ass salad, topped with mozzarella cheese and homemade dressing

Tiger Fries Recipe:

Salad Dressing - Dill Vinaigrette
#3: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-delicious-diy-salad-dressings/

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/6/5/655da_ORIG-7_24_to_7_30_Total_Compare.jpg

V Burn Challenge Complete

Took 10g BCAA’s (8:1:1) and 2 HOT-ROX Pills Pre V Burn

1st V Burn Time: Approx. 28:00
2nd V Burn Time: 23:50 -4:10 difference from 1st week

*Note: The first v Burn was done outside in 95+ degree temperatures on a track and today’s was done inside my house.

Random pic…will only be taking “official” pics (all same location/lighting) halfway point and post V-Diet

So, it is 6am where I live and I haven’t been to sleep yet from last night. I usually go to sleep around 1-2am, but I am wide awake right now. The whole night I’ve been hungry and tried to go to bed hungry, but here I am still awake. This is the only night I’ve really struggled with going to sleep, the other nights I would be hungry, but not like this. I didn’t “give in” or anything like that and indulge myself just thought I should mention it. I hope this doesn’t continue the rest of the way.

Edit: Finally went to sleep around 8:30am, woke up around 1:30pm. Went to the wave pool and did some light swimming, that will count as my NEPA for today.