Biotest

Weight Loss Help? Discouraged

Hi Chris, I’m on day 16 of the V-Diet and getting discouraged…I’ve been following the program to the letter, training hard 6 days/week, and seen (wait for it) 3lbs go. I realize my body composition may be changing and haven’t taken measurements since day 1, but I’m a big person and was expecting more…I’m a 5’9" female and currently 192lbs (195 on day 1).

Is there something I’m doing wrong here? Starting to worry that I’ll get to day 28 and won’t even break 190. Could it be lactate that’s making me puffy? I’ve been pretty sore just about all the time since I started. Any suggestions?
For the record, my husband is also on the plan and he is dropping weight like crazy…and he doesn’t work out at all!
Thanks!

Could be partly caused by muscle gain, which is why I encourage tape measurements since the scale doesn’t really tell us about body composition changes. Really wish you would measure. How are your clothes fitting?

Or you could simply be messing up somewhere. I don’t mean that to be harsh, but it’s just been my experience that those that don’t get good results have changes something. (I remember one guy who was mixing all his shakes in milk instead of water, adding thousands of calories and tons of carbs. Said he was following the diet “to the T” and not getting results. He just used milk because “that’s what he’s always done with protein shakes.” Face palm!)

I see you’ve changed the training plan for one thing. Now if you’re “training hard for 6 days/week” please tell me what that means. Does that mean you’re lifting weights 6 days instead of 3 as the V-Diet suggests? And if so, does that mean you’re drinking Surge Recovery after every workout? Because that’s over 900 extra calories a week that are NOT part of the V-Diet? Or does that mean you’re doing tons of cardio, which is also not part of the V-Diet and can really backfire on dieters?

You said you’re doing the diet to the letter, but it seems you’ve changed the training a lot, unless I’m misreading something (if so, I apologize for my skepticism). It just makes me wonder if you’ve changed other things, like the proper supplements?

Let me know exactly what you’re doing and we’ll try to figure this out. I would expect more than a pound of fat loss per week for sure.

You’re right; I’ve been following the diet but not the training plan…I should have been more clear about that! I am a personal trainer/group fitness instructor and I’m training for a figure competition, so a lot of the activity is job related - I teach some kind of cardio class just about every day and a strength training class a couple of times/week.

I try to get in an extra hour of lower-intensity cardio most days if time permits, I do a 5-day split for strength training, and martial arts twice/week. I used the recovery shake twice last week - most of the time I just have a protein shake (in water, ha ha) post-workout.

I did look at my measurements last night; I’m down 1.5" at my waist and hip (hooray!) but no change in my arms, legs, or shoulders…I have, however, definitely noticed more definition and my clothes are getting looser around the middle. I would like to think that I’ve put on some muscle, but THAT much? Seems unlikely to me; I have colleagues and clients that fight tooth and nail to add a lb of muscle over months - and given that I’m female it should be even harder to add muscle mass…? It just doesn’t seem to add up to me. What do you think?

[quote]gymrat0728 wrote:
You’re right; I’ve been following the diet but not the training plan…I should have been more clear about that! I am a personal trainer/group fitness instructor and I’m training for a figure competition, so a lot of the activity is job related - I teach some kind of cardio class just about every day and a strength training class a couple of times/week.

I try to get in an extra hour of lower-intensity cardio most days if time permits, I do a 5-day split for strength training, and martial arts twice/week. I used the recovery shake twice last week - most of the time I just have a protein shake (in water, ha ha) post-workout.

I did look at my measurements last night; I’m down 1.5" at my waist and hip (hooray!) but no change in my arms, legs, or shoulders…I have, however, definitely noticed more definition and my clothes are getting looser around the middle. I would like to think that I’ve put on some muscle, but THAT much? Seems unlikely to me; I have colleagues and clients that fight tooth and nail to add a lb of muscle over months - and given that I’m female it should be even harder to add muscle mass…? It just doesn’t seem to add up to me. What do you think?[/quote]

Glad to hear the measurements are down, though I would expect more.

Okay, first off, I’m not sure if the V-Diet was the plan for you to begin with given your required activity level. That aside, multiple cardio classes, extra hours of cardio, martial arts classes, extra weight training… getting ready for a figure show… group instructor… and you’re over 190 pounds as a female?

Something is very wrong here. Either you’re sleep-bingeing or there’s an underlying medical issue here. Or you’re not being honest with me about what you’re doing, V-Diet wise. These cases are very difficult to diagnose over the internet as you can imagine. I could make some guesses, but I’m not a doctor. And I’ve seen figure competitors screw themselves up with thyroid drugs, but I don’t want to make that assumption here since I don’t know your history.

I’m stuck on this one, sorry. I’d advise you to talk to a doctor to make sure there’s not an underlying medical issue here.

Thanks for your insight! I promise I’m not on any thyroid drugs (or have ever been). I’m sure there are some underlying hormonal issues there and have been to my doc to talk about it - I do have PCOS but didn’t think that was an excuse! :slight_smile: I will follow up again though.

Still going to follow through with the V-Diet - I’ve come too far to give it up now and if nothing else it’s done wonders as far as breaking bad habits are concerned. Thanks so much again for your help.

Perhaps I’ll even post some pics at the end…

During my last 20 day V-Diet I actually gained 4 lbs but lost 2.3 inches at the belly and 1.9 inches at the upper tighs.

I used the 2 changes to the original plan:

1. 5.5 lbs of green veggies each day
  2. 2 weight training sessions each day

More than pleased with the results!

[quote]gymrat0728 wrote:
Thanks for your insight! I promise I’m not on any thyroid drugs (or have ever been). I’m sure there are some underlying hormonal issues there and have been to my doc to talk about it - I do have PCOS but didn’t think that was an excuse! :slight_smile: I will follow up again though.

Still going to follow through with the V-Diet - I’ve come too far to give it up now and if nothing else it’s done wonders as far as breaking bad habits are concerned. Thanks so much again for your help.[/quote]

My wife did some quick Googling for me, and if you mean Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, then there does seem to be some issues with it that could make it more difficult to lose weight: http://women.webmd.com/tc/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos-topic-overview So don’t rule that out.

Please keep us posted!