Biotest

We All Scream For

…homemade, no-sugar, high-protein ice cream!

Birthday gift from the wifey.

If almond milk, Metabolic Drive and Splenda work well with it, them look for about a million ice cream recipes to follow here at V-Life!

…just please, no Iron Chef inspirations.

The world does not need another “Trout ice cream.”

Although, buffalo ice cream could work…

Wow, I just ordered one of these. Great minds think alike.

I spent a lot of time with my Ice Cream maker before enter V-Life, so here’s one thing you should know:

Ice Cream is soft enough to scoop because of the sugar (sad, I know), so expect sugar-free ice cream to be rock-hard in the freezer. Alton Brown goes through it in detail here:

It’s not so bad if you remember to take it out of the freezer for a good 20 minutes beforehand and put it in the fridge (less on the counter, of course). I’m still looking for a substitute that will fill that need … man, I miss my homemade ice cream …

[quote]BradenW wrote:
I spent a lot of time with my Ice Cream maker before enter V-Life, so here’s one thing you should know:

Ice Cream is soft enough to scoop because of the sugar (sad, I know), so expect sugar-free ice cream to be rock-hard in the freezer. Alton Brown goes through it in detail here:

It’s not so bad if you remember to take it out of the freezer for a good 20 minutes beforehand and put it in the fridge (less on the counter, of course). I’m still looking for a substitute that will fill that need … man, I miss my homemade ice cream …[/quote]

Fat and alcohol also have the same effect…if you use a recipe with cream and eggs and stuff and add a tablespoon of vodka you’ll be fine.

I make low-fat/fat-free “ice cream” with pureed cottage cheese (I’ll post the recipe if anyone wants) and it’s fine so long as you eat it right away. I have the same model ice cream maker as Chris and it only takes about 20 minutes to make ice cream so it’s not too bad to make it on the spot whenever you feel like having a treat. I add a tablespoon of vodka and I’ve frozen it before, it does get pretty solid after 24 hours or so but when that happens I just soften it in the microwave on the “defrost” setting.

[quote]floridagirl wrote:
… and it’s fine so long as you eat it right away.
[/quote]

… which is always the best time to eat it!

I did run a few of my shakes from the V-Diet through it too, which made them a nice treat, so certainly the potential for Metabolic Drive Ice Cream is there. I did want to point out that you’ll need extra steps if you remove the sugar, it’s fundamental to the chemistry of traditional ice cream.

And you may, like me, have your own personal reasons for not adding alcohol.

Good info here. This ice-cream makin’ newb appreciates it!

Love the idea of chocolate Metabolic Drive ice cream. What about mint chocolate Metabolic Drive ice cream?

“we all scream for ice cream” always reminds me of this. Sorry for the OT, but I just had to share.

Edited to say: if you can’t read it, it says “I cuss, you cuss, we all cuss for asparagus.”

First batch! Cinnamon vanilla!

Used vanilla unsweetened almond milk, Splenda, organic vanilla extract, and heavy cream. So, very low carb, sugar-free, but not exactly low calorie. Lower calorie, yes.

Was fantastic right out of the ice cream maker in soft serve form. After freezing is was good, but a little icy and lacked the creaminess mentioned by someone above in this thread.

Going to experiment a lot and use some of the tips above. Wonder if half-n’-half would work? To drop the cals?

Pic of the churning process.

Actually, I never did use heavy cream, I always used (what we call up here anyway) cereal cream, or 18%, which is a little heavier than half and half, mixed with milk (usually 1%).

For creaminess, though, you can’t beat “French Style”, which amounts to heating the cream with eggs to make a custard for your base. Here’s the recipe I always started an ice cream with (*** WARNING: not V-Life friendly as is :wink: ***):

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 cups light cream (18%)
2 cups milk (1%)
2 tsp Vanilla

Beat eggs and milk together in a sauce pan, and add sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring continuously until thickened (coats a spoon). Remove from heat, add cream and vanilla. Chill overnight (or until cold).

From this base, I made all kinds of great stuff. For example, this recipe above makes a basic French Vanilla, but to make an even better French Vanilla, I would use real vanilla pods (split the pods and scrape the tiny seeds out and put all that in the mixture; the seeds are where the vanilla flavour is). Let the seeds and pods steep in the mixture while it is chilling, then remove the pods before churning.

Perhaps my favourite though, was to steep this mixture, while still hot, for 15 min or longer in your favourite coarse-ground coffee (as in, the grounds, not made coffee), until it’s dark enough for your tastes. Then strain it to get the coffee grounds out, and chill it and run it through the maker. Oh man, that’s good stuff …

OK, all this ice cream talk is getting me riled up. I’m going to dust off the Ice Cream maker and experiment.

I’m going to see what kind of custard eggs and almond milk will make … I’ll use Splenda (adding it after the custard is made) and see how it goes.

Mmm … fresh Coffee Ice Cream …

Try adding a tablespoon of vodka. Hey, you could add protein vodka: http://www.slashfood.com/2010/08/27/devotion-vodka/ :wink:

Thanks for the tips, BradenW!

I just stocked up on supplies, so the great Winter Ice Cream Experiment begins at the Shugart Ranch!

Next up: Getting Metabolic Drive into it.

[quote]floridagirl wrote:
Try adding a tablespoon of vodka. Hey, you could add protein vodka: http://www.slashfood.com/2010/08/27/devotion-vodka/ :wink:
[/quote]

Very interesting about the vodka. Thanks!

Banana walnut ice cream, made with Metabolic Drive Low Carb, heavy cream, and Splenda.

The Metabolic Drive made it very creamy and rich compared to not using it. I just added two scoops for the whole recipe.

Coconut milk, the kind in the can, may be my next experiment. Or half 'n half to drop the cals. Both heavy cream and half n half are carb-free, but very dense calorically.

Chocolate. No heavy cream used, just coconut milk.

One word:

Gelato.

My first attempt at homemade ice cream was tonight; the second batch was a success.

1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/4 cup Half and Half
3 tbsp Stevia in the Raw
3 tsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 Scoop Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Mix together, then put it in the ice cream maker. When it was almost done, I folded in 2 squares of 86% dark chocolate and a couple chopped cherries. All together, it was about 700 calories with about 50g fat, 34g carb (9 fiber), and 22g protein. This could be reduced by eliminating the mix-ins, which added about 150 calories and 12g of carbs. To get the ideal texture, I set it in the freezer for about half an hour before eating.

One serving is half of a batch, so 350cal-25f-17c-11p per bowl. Without mix-ins, it’s more like 275cal-19f-12c-11p. Unless my math’s wrong, so…maybe. Either way, it was freaking delicious.