Biotest

Verti-gal's V-Diet AdVenture

Hi there. I have been lifting for about 14 months now and have made some awesome progress thus far and want to take my progress to the next level. So I have decided to do the Velocity 3.0 Diet to kick-start the fat loss starting Monday 7/6/09. 6-pack abs here I come.

Over the last few months I really have not been on a strict diet program, just trying to stick to 1700-1800 cals and adjusting upwards for increased activity. I have attempted Roussell and Cosgrove’s Warpspeed Fat Loss twice before, but its always been interrupted by getting on a plane.

I have 33 food allergies including peanuts, almonds, soy, lettuce, broccoli, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, barley, and yeast. So finding foods I can eat is hard enough, much less sticking to those extremely strict macros. The ease of just having shakes is one of the things that attracted me to this diet as well as the transition period.

I picked this month to do it because my schedule seems to be a lot less hectic than usual. My husband and I are very big into rappelling and outdoor sports and we stay very active and are usually always out and about on big adventures. But this month all I have scheduled is a week of houseguests, a camping trip, and a few rappels. Then my husband is having neck surgery on July 17th so things should slow down for a few weeks. Between no cooking and no extra activity I probably won’t know what to do with myself with all that spare time.

The plan is to take pictures and measurements on Sunday and just do weigh in on Monday morning. Days 1-8 are already portioned in their baggies and I have 1 grocery bag of baggies for work next week, one for the camping trip and one to get me through next Monday until I can make more Monday night (can you tell my job title is Planning Engineer). I didn’t put the flax or Superfood in them yet since wasn’t sure how the flax will taste in it and how my body will tolerate the Superfood.

Being allergic to the blueberries, strawberries and broccoli in it I’m not sure what quantities of it I will be able to have regularly. So those are portioned separately for now and if all goes well I will add them in the baggies next week. The way my allergies work I can tolerate a little every so often, but regular doses compromise my immune system.

Meals will be at 7, 10, 1, 4 and 7pm. Workouts are at 11:30am. I’ve been playing with the exercises to find the right weights for the rep range. I’m having issues with the DB squats and DB Bench presses. What I can squat is way more than I can hold, my grip fails me on the 80# DB while I’m squatting 154# on the V-squat machine. Getting 45# DB’s in position to bench is hard, but I have no problem with 95# on the bar or 100# on the Smith Machine.

Welcome to the V-Diet support team! Awesome progress so far! No matter your allergies, you’ll still make great results! The Superfood and fish oils, i think, will help you out with nutrient deficiencies you may not get from your HSM!

Way to go on starting. I think its a good game plan that you’re testing out the weight loads prior to starting.

Wow you are going to have a smokin’ hot bod after this I can definitely see you ending up with some abs.

Unbelievable food allergies you have there. Good luck!

I see abs in your near future… :slight_smile: serious though your “before” pics are showing you have the potential, looking forward to checking out your log and tracking your results!

All I can say is WOWWWW on all those allergies…most of those foods you listed are my faves!! What workarounds have you been able to come up with, as far as your HSM, etc…

Thank you bwal, bar182 and sydnisd183.

The abs are in there, I can feel them. Now I just need to uncover them. I’m excited about the potential you see in them.

I haven’t actually thought too much about my HSM yet. Don’t know when I’ll have it yet, but had a lean steak and baked potato in mind. Even though I can’t have most green veggies I can have spincah or cabbage so I will probably do one of those as my veggie if they are available.

It rained all morning while I was camping on Sunday so I didn’t get the pictures and measurements taken. It was midnight until we got home from the days adventures, so pics and measurements will have to be done tonight.

Starting weight this morning was 154.2 which is up about 3 pounds for me, but not bad considering TOM and all the salt I had this weekend to keep the electrolyte balance on my active weekends. It was in the 90’s all weekend.

The pic attached is Neversink (courtesy of National Geographic), which is the 162’ rappel and climb we did on Saturday. My husband and I are big rappellers who teach vertical work. We were training people this weekend and this is one of the places we went.

Just my .02 euro cents - a sweet potato or brown/multi-grain rice might be a much better choice than a regular baked potato.

[quote]FGG wrote:
Just my .02 euro cents - a sweet potato or brown/multi-grain rice might be a much better choice than a regular baked potato.[/quote]

I’d prefer a sweet potato if available, but don’t know what my choices will be at this point, since I don’t know where we’ll be going. I’m thinking of doing my HSM on Saturday if at all possible since I’m working a zip line that morning and leading a rappelling trip in the afternoon. That would be a great day for the extra calories.

Velocity Diet: Day 1- Monday workout

V-Squats 99#
9 -9-9-8-5
Will add a little bit more next time

Dumbbell Bench Press 25s
9-9-9-9-4
Need to go heavier next time

Bent-Over Barbell Rows 60#
9-8-8-6-6-5

Plank Hold
56-46-40-32 seconds

Was amazed how quickly the workout was over. I am going to have a lot of extra time on my hands.

Doing great so far, not hungry at all yet and time for the next shake already. I liked the PWO drink, I got the original which reminds me of a creme brule flavor.

I was a little worried about getting jittery on the fat burners, but after the weekend I had and the lack of sleep they are just what I need to keep going. I know I’m going to crash early tonight. NEPA will probably be instructing vertical class for our houseguests this evening who have come down for training, otherwise I may try to talk them in to a bike ride. They did bring their bikes with them.

I only drank about half my M4 while at work and went home and took an hour and a half nap. I was still pretty tired from the weekend. So it was 8pm until I had my M5 which was an hour later than I had planned. I made M5 more of an icecream consistency with Vanilla PP and added some sugar free raspberry flavoring and ate it with a spoon.

I had a dose of fiber later that evening as well. Went to bed at a decent hour and now feel more refreshed.

All in all Day 1 was pretty easy for me. The hardest part was getting all the shakes down. I never really got hungry. I’ve realized it will be easier to drink them quickly, as they get warm they are harder to get down.

NEPA was not great yesterday. Got up and did a few laps around the office to keep the blood flowing and keep my from falling asleep. In the evening I carried some bags upstairs from the weekend and did some unpacking.

Beginning Stats

Height: 5’7"
Weight: 154.2#

Bust: 35"
Ribs: 29.5"
Hips: 40"
Thighs @widest: 24.25"
Thighs 18" from waist: 19.5"
Calves: 14.125"
Biceps flexed: 12.375"
Biceps relaxed: 11.25"
Forearms: 10.125"

Back View

Side View

From your photo’s you’ll probably get great results. I’ll be following closely as we started on the same day. I’ve had 3 out of 5 shakes today, and so far so good. My stomach felt a bit dodgey mid morning but it’s fine now.

I had my PB with a choclate shake last night and it was really nice. I think I’ll continue doing that as it gives me something to look forward to until my HSM on Sunday!

That picture (Neversink) is absolutely beautiful. You are lucky to be able to see that kind of scenery. That just looks so peaceful!

Rappeling…is that like rock climbing? Your upper body strength must be awesome…mine isn’t lol I read that us ladies are stronger with our lower body…i’m tryin’ though.

It sounds like you’re going along quite nicely. So when you said you were going to have the white potato because you weren’t sure where you’d be, is that because you’ll be camping? When I lived in San Diego, I used to go camping at Yosemite and bring hardy veggies/fruits (that would stand up to no refrigeration and being jostled about) and potatoes, and we would garner our fish from the surrounding lakes…good times lol

glad to hear you can eat spinach… that’s some awesome greenery

[quote]davidtaylor138 wrote:
From your photo’s you’ll probably get great results. I’ll be following closely as we started on the same day. I’ve had 3 out of 5 shakes today, and so far so good. My stomach felt a bit dodgey mid morning but it’s fine now.

I had my PB with a choclate shake last night and it was really nice. I think I’ll continue doing that as it gives me something to look forward to until my HSM on Sunday![/quote]

I’ve only had the first two shakes so far today. Doing pretty well so far. I was having some issues getting all the shakes down yesterday, but I put ice and some flavoring in them today and they went down a lot better.

I’m doing sunflower seed butter since I’m allergic to peanuts and almonds. I had it by itself last night and it was really good.

[quote]sydnisd183 wrote:
That picture (Neversink) is absolutely beautiful. You are lucky to be able to see that kind of scenery. That just looks so peaceful!

Rappeling…is that like rock climbing? Your upper body strength must be awesome…mine isn’t lol I read that us ladies are stronger with our lower body…i’m tryin’ though.

It sounds like you’re going along quite nicely. So when you said you were going to have the white potato because you weren’t sure where you’d be, is that because you’ll be camping? When I lived in San Diego, I used to go camping at Yosemite and bring hardy veggies/fruits (that would stand up to no refrigeration and being jostled about) and potatoes, and we would garner our fish from the surrounding lakes…good times lol

glad to hear you can eat spinach… that’s some awesome greenery[/quote]

Rappelling has some similarities to rock climbing, but a lot of differences. We look for long free drops on our rappels, where most rock climbers are rappelling against wall contact. I’m using a 14" rappel rack instead of an 8 or a grigri, on which I can rappel up to a 1200’ free vertical. I also have a 24" rappel rack that I use for the longer rappels like El Cap, Golindrinas (1150’), and Bridge Day (876’). I have rappeled El Capitan’s 2650’ face (from the diving board) 4 times and have climbed it 3 times. My husband and I are leading a rappelling expedition back there next summer. When we climb, we are climbing the rope not the rock and have ascenders on our feet in what we call a ropewalker system. The easiest thing to relate it to is climbing stairs. It takes us about 3 hours to climb El Cap tandem.

I will be camping this weekend so I have no idea when I will have a chance to have my HSM or where we’ll be to have it. I’m hoping for Saturday, but with our busy schedule there is no guarantee. I’m going to pack all my shakes anyways so if it doesn’t happen I won’t worry too much and will have it Monday or some other time.

Cool that you have an interesting and fun sport/hobby with your husband…I finally get your nickname now, doh! And nice to see you found a good substitute for the nut butter.

Things are going great with the diet so far. Working on shake 4 right now. Did an hour of NEPA walking around the mall today at lunch.

I attempted to make hot chocolate out of shake 3 which did not turn out well at all. I couldn’t get it to mix, so I ended up chewing most of it. Glad that was the smaller shake.

I feel like a slacker not working out today at lunch. I have a meeting to go to tonight, so I will try to make my raspberry icecream again and take it with me, but it may be melted to a shake by the time I’m ready to eat it. The sugarfree flavorings are really improving the drinkability of the shakes.

[quote]FGG wrote:
Cool that you have an interesting and fun sport/hobby with your husband…I finally get your nickname now, doh! And nice to see you found a good substitute for the nut butter.[/quote]

My husband and I actually met through our outdoor activities. So its cool we have so much in common. Most other guys in our activities can’t convince their wife to come out and try it. They joke with us that they can’t get their wife to go with them and DH’s wife (me) would go without him.

The macros for sunflower butter were actually incredibly similar to the natural peanut butter. The two jars I got is not quite enough to get me through the 28 days, so I got a jar of cashew butter too since I don’t seem to have issues with them. So I’ll throw that in every few days just for some variety.

Two days down and already 1 shake into day 3.

I upped the HOT-ROX to two tablets this morning from the one I was taking, gradually building myself up to the full dose. I’ve been doing the flax seeds seperately and liking them that way, but have only done one dose of the superfood so far. Will try to get that in this evenings shake. But I am doing my multivitamin twice a day to try and make up for any nutritional deficiencies.

I did very well yesterday on the lower calories. I had M4 at 4:30 and had no problem going home and preparing food for others at 5:30. I made DH tuna fish for the week and chopped onions to go on the hot dogs everyone else had for dinner. Didn’t touch a bite. Just sat at the table and ate my sunflower butter. Our houseguests think its cute how I set the jar down on the scale and just stick my spoon in it.

We actually had a very interesting conversation about food yesterday at the table. They had been looking at a doctor sponsored diet that was just bars and shakes so they were very interested to see how I do on this diet. But for me eating is more mechanical, if I could just have a gel pack and keep going I’d be fine. They enjoy their food a lot more, and spend more time preparing it. So their not thinking the diet is for them.

The lower calorie day didn’t really bother me. I was ready for my M5 at 6:45pm but held off until 7pm since I knew it would be a late night. We got home at 10:45 and I fell asleep in the car on the way home.

Stepped on the scale this morning and I’m down to 152.0#. I normally gain 3# from all the salt I consume over my active weekends (helps with hydration) but it normally comes off by Wednesday. But its still TOM so that may be influencing it as well. I am liking how lean the abs are feeling in the mornings.

Good job. I’m also, on shake 2 of Day 3. This is my 3rd go around with the V-diet. The first week is always a challenge no matter what. I know the second week will be tough too but knowing this helps me to prepare mentally. I know how good it feels to watch the pounds and inches melt away.

Keep up the good work.