Biotest

Velocity Diet with 5 Day/Wk Training?

Hi guys
I wanted to time starting the Velocity Diet with starting a new program, and use that six weeks as sort of a complete transformation. I’m a beginner but dedicated, however, is it recommended to go for strength gains while on this diet?

I remember reading “and some people even gained muscle” when reading through the diet information. That, to me, makes it seem like this is strictly for cutting that fat off and your lifting should be maintenance, pretty much. I think Chris may have even stated something like that in the information pages.

Anyway, should I do the program I want or do the beginner program outlined by Chris? I can easily “save” that program for after, I’ll do what’s most recommended.

As a beginner, you’ll very likely see muscle and strength gains from the V-Diet training plan, if it’s performed correctly. Be sure to read the instructions closely and not just the set/rep guidelines. It’s very different. Now, more advanced lifters who are already very strong have a tougher time gaining more strength while on any fat loss diet, so they do tend to just aim for “maintenance.” But that can be a tricky thing to judge. For example, lose 15 pounds of fat and you can do more pull-ups, dips, push-ups and sometimes even squats because you’re “lifting” 15 pounds less weight, so more reps or more weight can be added to the bar. That’s not really “strength” gains, though you’re strength to body weight ratio is better. But newer lifters tend to get stronger all the time because they’re starting from a lower point.

Anyway, here’s a brief example of how the V-Diet training should look:

Example Sets and Reps for One Exercise

Let’s say you’re on the intermediate plan and that day’s workout calls for you to do the barbell curl with these guidelines:

Total reps: 40 per exercise
Rest: 45 seconds between each set
Load: Medium (8-9 RM)

To choose the amount of weight (load) you’ll use for the exercise, you’ll find a weight that allows you to get 8-9 reps on the first set. If you can get more than 8-9 reps on the first set, add more weight to the bar. If you can’t get 8-9 reps for the first set, lighten the load. Once you find that perfect weight, you’ll use the same load for the rest of that exercise.

After resting for 45 seconds after the first set, you’ll do set #2, rest 45 second, set #3 etc. Now, here’s the crucial part to remember. As you fatigue, you will no longer be able to get 8-9 reps as you did with the first set. That’s okay. Your reps may fall to 6 for a set, then to 4 or 5, and even down to 1 or 2. (If can get 8-9 reps on every set, then you went too light or you’re resting longer than 45 seconds.)

Now, note the number of total reps you’re supposed to get for this exercise: it says 40. Keep doing sets until you reach 40 total reps for the exercise. So, your sets might look like this:

Set #1: 8 reps
Set #2: 8 reps
Set #2: 6 reps
Set #2: 5 reps
Set #2: 4 reps
Set #2: 4 reps
Set #2: 3 reps
Set #2: 2 reps

That’s 40 total reps for the biceps curl. Remember, the number of sets doesn’t matter. The key is to get your load right for that first set, then do as many sets as needed to hit the total reps called for for that exercise.

Thank you Chris, I’ll stick to the prescribed workout since I’m definitely still a beginner. I’ve been making steady strength gains using CT’s Wave Ladder format on four lifts, hopefully that’ll continue throughout the diet.

Thanks again man