Biotest

Velocity Diet Support Group

Add me to the list, too.

Warning: Tomorrow is my last day on the Velocity Diet and I had to buy two new pair of pants today! Don’t forget to factor new pants into the diet’s cost!

I’m working on “The Velocity Diet Part II” now. In it I’ll:

• Outline my results.

• Provide a plan for coming off the diet.

• Discuss any minor changes.

• Offer tips.

• Provide a plan for a one-solid-meal-per-day version.

I’d be glad to help out anyone who gives the diet a shot. Even that bastard Vroom.

I am currently starting my second week of the Velocity diet. I am down 6LBS. I think a support group is a great idea. I am a person who loves food and enjoys cooking so you could guess how hard this first week has been for me. I am wanting to add one meal a day and not just one a week, but I know that to get the full advantage of the program I need to stick to the original plan. Well here goes nothing. Bring on week two.

Best of luck to all!

I’m on board as well. This is the evening of my third day.

I would like to try your diet plan, but I am unable to work out at this time. I had tennis elbow surgery on 2/1/05 and will be out of action for 6 to 8 weeks before lifting again. Do you recommend the diet while I’m off work, or should I wait until I can resume lifting weights to try it? Thanks.

Tim

I’d say that you should wait until you can lift weights for the Velocity Diet. If your not going to be working out your muscles arent going to be being used and your body will take muscle that is useless to it over depleting its stores of fat. Just my 2cc.

looking forward to the new article Chris, hmm notice its us Canadians getting in there with this one right away? Thats why we’re called Crazy Canucks.

Im going to be on the boat around May hopefully if I can gain some more weight here before then. Seeing as there are lots of canadians on this thread I was wondering what are you guys using to maintain LBM as far as supps?? Ideally Maximum Strength HOT-ROX or something of the sort would be nice but seeing as you cant get that here or at least have a high prob. of getting it tagged at customs what are you guys taking??

been following it since Shugs first wrote about it–more or less. That is to say, I’ve had some solid food meals along the way–steak and salad, some tuna–still very low carb but just enough food to keep sanity. If you can call a foil packet of lemon pepper tuna by itself a solid food meal? It’s basically a protein shake that isn’t liquid, right?
Taking Alpha Male, M, Maximum Strength HOT-ROX, and Methoxy-7 (cause I’d been taking them all before. I add in a serving or two of GNC Maximum Greens formula each day also.
Weight fluctuates around 275. Been lifting hard and eating clean for several months, losing at a slow steady rate. Figured this would sort of kick things in gear better. In the past 3 weeks or so I’m down about 15 pounds–that is, I weighed myself this AM and was at 260. I’m 5’8"ish, with a heavy build. FFB Syndrome too…with a regain factor.
Question: how do you know if you’re losing muscle? Seems like a stupid question to me, but I guess I need to be told. I’m able to add weight to my lifts, but of course I’m getting a little smaller all over which has always freaked me out!
–T.

I’m starting it Monday morning.

On what acostine wrote:

You know you’re losing muscle when the weight you’re lifting is regularly decreasing. If you’re adding weights every time you work out, you should be fine.

Acostine,

I’m in the same boat as you: 5’8", weighing in at a hefty 248 (I’ve already lost 2 pounds just doing low carb). Former fat boy syndrom sucks big time. When I read Shugs’ article and Blog, I could relate. About 10 years ago I dieted down to around 165. I still had a “soft middle” and was weak as a child. Once life became busy and I couldn’t run 4 miles every other day (yes, all I did was run, maybe some bodyweight stuff thrown in), the weight came back with a vengeance. I believe the fact that I lost lots of muscle was what made the weight come back so easily, and made me heavier than before I started. As a result, I have become afraid to diet for fear of losing muscle and having this whole thing repeat itself. So for the last few years I’ve been lifting weights but not focusing on diet. I’m not trying to make excuses as I fully accept responsibility for the weight gain – I’m just relating my experiences and thought processes. The bottom line is that I don’t like being 250 – it’s not like the weight gives me super strength and is a real hindrance. I’ve decided to make a “leap of faith” and just believe that the Velocity Diet will work and I will not lose muscle. There’s plenty of protein, and I really like the simplicity of it – I can’t stand weighing food and preparing six small meals. The Velocity Diet is relatively easy in that regard.

My Velocity Diet ends in the morning! I’ve lost 16 pounds and two inches off the waist in 28 days. Look for Part II to the article soon and checkout the blog for details:

http://www.t-nation.com/category.jsp?categoryID=37&pageNo=1

I’ll try to pop into this thread and help out when I get the chance.

MikeyBear:
One big advantage I have over you is that I wasn’t weak as a child, and when I did lose the weight originally there was strength training tossed in with the running and walking, so I’ve always had some decent muscle (even when buried under inches and inches). So when I started back lifting, the muscle came back fairly quickly and that’s helped burn calories.
But I got sidetracked with trying to build muscle and take fat off at the same time–now, if I can keep adding either weight or reps to my workouts, I guess I’m still adding some muscle, but boy the fat seems to come off quick. The downside is that the more comes off the more I realize there was!

Shugs: you da MAN!

–Tony

I’ll be doing this as well, starting tomorrow.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with being hungry between meals and what they have done to take care of that. I am on my second week of the diet and I find that I am hungry about an hr after a shake. I am getting the calorie level suggested by the calculation Shugs gave us but I am still hungry. I have started drinking a V-8 when I have this problem but it adds 7g of Carbs per can. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

[quote]rich44 wrote:
I have started drinking a V-8 when I have this problem but it adds 7g of Carbs per can. Any suggestions are appreciated.[/quote]

I don’t think you should be worried over an extra 28 calories. If it helps keeping you somewhat satiated, 28 cals aint gonna make or break you. Remember, Shugart’s calculations gave us a ROUGH RANGE to work in. If you still feel anxiety, go for a 4 minute walk to burn out the cals…

Peace be with you

What kind of protein are you ingesting in the shakes? If they are just straight whey that could be it try a powder with long digesting protein. People are going to say definately Low-Carb Grow!, but I realize that you might not be able to afford that (I sure cant living in canada.

Just my 2cc

[quote]rich44 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with being hungry between meals and what they have done to take care of that. I am on my second week of the diet and I find that I am hungry about an hr after a shake. I am getting the calorie level suggested by the calculation Shugs gave us but I am still hungry. I have started drinking a V-8 when I have this problem but it adds 7g of Carbs per can. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.[/quote]

I drank arizona diet ice tea(powder mix). Really helped my cravings out. Only 5 calories per serving and no carbs or anything else in it. The sweet taste was a treat and really helped me between shakes.

seems like I’d eat an apple or two, something like that rather than drink the v-8, but whatever works for you. The Low-Carb Grow! definately makes a difference, even over Classic Grow!.
As someone said recently, this isn’t rocket science, it’s just taking in fewer calories than are going out. The Velocity Diet is just an easier way to get it done.
My .02, fwiw.
–Tony