Biotest

Velocity Diet into Cheat To Lose?

Hey all,

Would Cheat to Lose be a good way to come off the V-diet?

Really? No response?

No. CTL is a diet based on basically the ability to eat junk food. (I’ve done it) Whereas the V-Diet will hopefully rid you of that habit. Why go back and recreate the habit after you’ve worked hard to get rid of it. T-Dawg, AD or GSD would be better transition diets.

CTL isn’t really junkfood, and it’s limited to ONE day a week. You don’t have to eat crap on your cheat day, but a donut or two isn’t gonna kill ya.

I guess I can kind of see your point though - if the V-Diet breaks bad habits…

It’s a bad idea, not only because it puts you back on solid meals completely, but also because you’re introducing a lot of carbs (including starchy ones) pretty quickly. I love carb cycling, but you have to ease back into it. I don’t think the cheat day is a big deal though. Even Get Shredded has a ridiculous refeed every other week. Personally, that’s the diet I moved to after the V-Diet. I did it for a month and this week I reintroduced carbs at breakfast and around workout.

I wouldn’t recommend it based on my experiences.

I first did the V Diet a couple years ago, dropped down to 200 and ended up gaining 10 lbs (plus some bf from how the mirror looked) when I first tried CTL.

Due to a bunch of things, I ended up getting as high as 225. (Wasn’t on CTL, just made some poor eating choices). So I decided to give CTL another try and noticed that the cheat day at the end of the cycle ended up wiping any progress I made during the no/low carb days.

I got back on the V Diet, and am now back to 200 lbs.

What I discovered is something Shugart mentioned with his experience in a V Diet followup article. I can’t have a cheat day or I’ll gain a bunch of weight. I can get away with an occasional cheat meal, but for the most part, having a day where I eat nothing but pizza or other junk food – even if I space it out where I’m hungry and not pig out completely – means I wipe out any progress I’ve made.

CTL is a funny thing. My wife thrived on CTL, lost a bunch of weight, and never felt hungry. I, OTOH, could never recover from the cheat day. After the cheat, I craved the junk food and wanted more of it, so one cheat a day week turned into two cheat days a week and so on.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
CTL is a funny thing. My wife thrived on CTL, lost a bunch of weight, and never felt hungry. I, OTOH, could never recover from the cheat day. After the cheat, I craved the junk food and wanted more of it, so one cheat a day week turned into two cheat days a week and so on.[/quote]

I had a very similar experience as you. I think it’s all based on carb tolerances and exactly why I say the CTL diet isn’t for everyone.