Biotest

Velocity Diet Help with IBS

In Bill Roberts article, “Is gut bacteria making you fat”, it sounded like he was saying the velocity diet could improve the gut microbiome for the better. I’m considering trying the velocity diet based on a few theories/observations -

-My IBS seems to do a little better with low Fodmaps and low fiber which tells me I must have a bacterial overgrowth.
-Doctors treat small intestine bacterial overgrowth with a 2 week course of a fast absorbing liquid elemental diet that starves overgrown bacteria. Could the velocity diet have a similar effect?
-I’ve read that a diet with less nutrients to feed bacteria (less fiber, fodmaps, resistant starch etc.) helps rid the body of bad or pathogenic bacteria because they are less able to compete when the going gets tough. The velocity diet shakes have nothing to feed bacteria. So perhaps bad bacteria can die off most of the day and receive no fuel to overgrow until the HSM.

So am I off base on any of these ideas? Has anyone found their digestion or IBS improved on this diet?

Thanks!

It also occurs to me many people say they’ve cured their IBS with intermittent fasting. I’ve tried IF and while it did help my bloating I couldn’t sustain it because of my adrenal fatigue. Perhaps the daytime liquid phase of the velocity diet allows a person to be nourished while giving their gut a chance to rest and heal compared to eating solid food all day.

Also the whey in the shakes have Lactoferrin and Alpha-lactalbumin which have antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antiparasitic activity. Lactoferrin helps protect the intestinal epithelium.

So again, these are my theories but I’m wondering if anyone has felt their digestion improve on the velocity diet.

Bill Roberts did say the V-Diet could help, if that’s in fact the problem (“bad bacteria” etc.). I haven’t heard of anyone using it just for this benefit, but it makes sense that it could work. It starves out the bad stuff essentially. Many have reported benefits related in this area, but not many of course actually knew about their possible bacteria issue. I didn’t fully grasp it myself until Bill’s article, so it’s sort of a happy accident that the V-Diet could help. Keeps us posted if you decide to try it.

Thanks for the feedback on this issue Chris! It sounds like you guys have inadvertently stumbled onto some great health benefits with this diet. I’ll let you know what happens if I give it a go.

My IBS all but disappeared after going full smothie for about 2-3 months. Lost about 12kg’s of muscle in the process as there weren’t enough calories to sustain it during the process. Best choice I ever made!
Sure it sucks loosing 12kg’s of hard earned muscle, but compared to having to continue living with IBS it’s a no brainer.

Go for it!

[quote]Highpercentage wrote:
My IBS all but disappeared after going full smothie for about 2-3 months. Lost about 12kg’s of muscle in the process as there weren’t enough calories to sustain it during the process. Best choice I ever made!
Sure it sucks loosing 12kg’s of hard earned muscle, but compared to having to continue living with IBS it’s a no brainer.

Go for it![/quote]

That’s amazing! Congratulations on your recovery. It’s very inspiring for me. What kind of diet plan are you on to maintain your results? Still just doing the smoothies?

Yeah, losing the muscle is nothing compared to being able to regain your health. I’m sure in the long term you’ll be able to get all that muscle back plus a lot more by way of being healthier.

I started today on this diet idea and it’s only the early afternoon but I can tell it’s helping. Normally I’d be in a lot of pain with bloating but right now it’s just really mild so it’s an encouraging start. Plus my energy and alertness is up.

[quote]calamari88 wrote:

Go for it![/quote]

That’s amazing! Congratulations on your recovery. It’s very inspiring for me. What kind of diet plan are you on to maintain your results? Still just doing the smoothies?

Yeah, losing the muscle is nothing compared to being able to regain your health. I’m sure in the long term you’ll be able to get all that muscle back plus a lot more by way of being healthier.

I started today on this diet idea and it’s only the early afternoon but I can tell it’s helping. Normally I’d be in a lot of pain with bloating but right now it’s just really mild so it’s an encouraging start. Plus my energy and alertness is up.
[/quote]

Before the smoothies I had been following the lowfodmap diet with little results. Which is why I decided to try living of liquid food, as it couldn’t possibly get any worse. Even though the lowfodmap wasn’t a complete success before, I stil feel like it’s better to be safe than sorry so I’m still following that.

Besides following the lowfodmap, I’m drinking ALOT more water and alot less everything else. Beef is completly out as i onions, garlic, beans and loads of other stuff. Even though I got testet and I should have no problem with it, I’m also laktose intollerent as is most IBS patients.

Sometimes I forget the IBS is just waiting for an oppotunity to break out again resulting in a few days of te good old times. Most i’s due to laktose or onions. Those two ignite it, like nothing else!

So my advise as I’ve been talking with hundreds of people about this, is to remove any laktose, beef, garlic and onions from your diet completly. There seems to be a generel pattern with those specifically.

Hope you get there yourself. Living with IBS is a nightmare…

[quote]calamari88 wrote:

Go for it![/quote]

[/quote]

Before the smoothies I had been following the lowfodmap diet with little results. Which is why I decided to try living of liquid food, as it couldn’t possibly get any worse. Even though the lowfodmap wasn’t a complete success before, I stil feel like it’s better to be safe than sorry so I’m still following that.

Besides following the lowfodmap, I’m drinking ALOT more water and alot less everything else. Beef is completly out as i onions, garlic, beans and loads of other stuff. Even though I got testet and I should have no problem with it, I’m also laktose intollerent as is most IBS patients.

Sometimes I forget the IBS is just waiting for an oppotunity to break out again resulting in a few days of te good old times. Most i’s due to laktose or onions. Those two ignite it, like nothing else!

So my advise as I’ve been talking with hundreds of people about this, is to remove any laktose, beef, garlic and onions from your diet completly. There seems to be a generel pattern with those specifically.

Hope you get there yourself. Living with IBS is a nightmare…

[/quote]

Thanks for the encouragement. What would you put in your smoothies?

I’ve done a lot of research on the root causes of IBS and there’s a lot of studies showing it has it’s roots in mineral imbalances. Leaky gut is caused by low magnesium. Candida thrives when iron is both too low or too high. Stomach acid isn’t produced without sufficient sodium. Copper deficiencies lead to adrenal fatigue which can cause digestion issues. So last year I started on a mineral balancing program. Since then I can eat a lot more foods than I used to. However it can take a couple years to get all the minerals balanced so I still try to eat a diet that’s the least problematic. Like you onions are my enemy!

You’re right about IBS being a nightmare. It totally sucks!

Apple juice, berries like blue or strawberry, ginger and soy protein.

Actually tastes really good and I still make them on a regular basis.

[/quote]

Pretty god-awful choices there for ingredients, no wonder you lost muscle. There are much better options that soy protein (search this site) and concentrated sugar.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:

[/quote]

Pretty god-awful choices there for ingredients, no wonder you lost muscle. There are much better options that soy protein (search this site) and concentrated sugar. [/quote]

You can’t pick and choose with IBS.