Biotest

VD26's Diet Blog

So I found out about the V-Diet about a week ago. In that time Ive spent about the majority of my free time researching the diet and gathering everything needed. I dont like the whole public posting thing, but I think the added pressure will be a good thing. Plus a few weeks from now I think the GF, and friends maybe able to appreciate this blog if I ever tell them about it.

Some Background:

-I am currently in the post college/begining work period and still living at home. It is very difficult to control what you eat all the time while still being partially dependent.

-I spent basically every dollar I had left on supplies for the diet. I got as many Biotest supplies as I possibly could afford, but may have to sub in cheaper subs when the initial Biotest supplies is done. Biotest is clearly the best supp’s on market, and every dollar possible will go there.

-Two things really got me to start this diet. Chris Shugart’s “All or Nothing article”, and Gus’s blog. If the point of his blog was to show “Average Joe: You can do this”–It was a homerun. Chris’s article about being an All or Nothing person hit home, and helped me accept who I am. CS’s writing was obviously a big factor…He really has mastered being a dick, informing the reader, speaking to the reader directly, and most of all giving you the sense he has been in your position before.

-I am doing this diet more for general health more then anything else. Having some heart scares in my family, and Diabetes my goal here is to strictly to lose Body fat and keep as much lean muscle as possible. Eventually I would love to have goals like have Ab’s, Veins showing, striations, but for now my priority is simply health.

-I have been reading T-Nation for some time, and am a fan of most of the general theories around here. The articles have been fantastic, and the work of Berardi, and Shugart has been exceptional. I was in horrible health about 1-2 years ago before I started following this site. I’ve since lost around 30 pounds(Started 235)since then by working out , eating better, and carb cycling.

-I’ll have pictures up by the end of the day. Along with Measurements. Today is my first day of the diet.

-Most people around me will either do not understand this diet, or think its some Fad so I expect this to be the only place I can discuss the diet so please excuse the length.

No need to apoligize, everyone has their story, and when no one else will understand, people here do! I have come to the realization that I am ok with people thinking I am crazy because everyone is crazy about something.

I couldn’t fathom why a person would want to have kids, while they can’t fathom why I would want to count calories, plan workouts/meals, and constantly monitor my nutrition. Personally, I think it’s less effort than a kid but who am I to say…

[quote]Polsen714 wrote:
No need to apoligize, everyone has their story, and when no one else will understand, people here do! I have come to the realization that I am ok with people thinking I am crazy because everyone is crazy about something.

I couldn’t fathom why a person would want to have kids, while they can’t fathom why I would want to count calories, plan workouts/meals, and constantly monitor my nutrition. Personally, I think it’s less effort than a kid but who am I to say…[/quote]

Thanks, The majority of my house is currently looking at me like I have 3 heads. My brother who sometimes works all day on a bagel with butter for Breakfast, and PB and J on white bread for Lunch just told me he would never do it because its not enough nutrition for him—He wouldn’t be able to work just drinking liquid. Ironic?

I forgot to mention before, that I wanted to set forth a ton of personal goals during these 28 days. I see this whole situation as: Give a man a fish vs teaching him how to fish. I know I will lose some weight on this diet, but what will stay with me? Here’s my hopes for right now

1-Count Calories–No not for life, but I want to get an idea of what I want in every meal, and every day. I’ve never counted calories, and I want to get to know what my body works on. I want to be “Over it” in regards to counting calories like some of you are already.

2-Get in good habits–Getting 5 meals a day in, and supplementing well. Beradi had a line like look at meals like a vegetarian and then add a lean meat. I really like that line.

3-Lower my Triglycerides, and Cholesterol. Ill be including what they were in my last doctors appt.

4-The difference between good and bad calories. Its very easy when carb cycling to think about having a cookie after a workout as your “sugar”, or a dessert, but its horrible.

5-Be accountable, and know what I am. This started when I read Chris’s All or Nothing article. I need to realize how I got here, what I am doing wrong, in order to prevent it for the future.
6-Look at food differently. I loved Gus’s quote “I was tired of being a slave to food”.

7-Plan meals the night before.

8-My number 1 goal is to have a waist under 35 inches.

Ok so today was the first day I ever counted Calories, and there was a few measuring errors but I ended up with:
=Total Day 1
=Calories 1465, 53 grams of fat, 175 grams of Protein, 85 Carbs, 23 grams Fiber.

Thats the first time Ive ever counted calories–Do some of you guys use excel or anything to save time?
-Tomm I’ll be hoping to get my calories up slightly. Im wondering if I should possibly have the Peanut Butter in my shake in the morning(instead of night) when I need the energy, and im also hungrier.
-Tomm Im going to tailgate at the Jets/Rams game…There will be beer, a ton of pot smoking, and a ton of great food ALL DAY. I guess this will be my version of Gus’s Christmas eve and family events…Absolutely the biggest challenge Ill face especially when you consider how easy it is to tell yourself “You have only done it one day, just restart it tomorrow”. Did I mention everyone in family has already
Pic’s and measurements next.

There is a calorie trackng sheet that someone posted here in the forum…I tried to see who it was, but I couldnt find it, so look back further (it was a guy, I know that)

Try adding the 2 tbsp of flax in the a.m. shake, since you have to fit it in somewhere anyhow…

As for the goals you set, good for you. I started reading thinking - oh no, this is already a big challenge and to add more into it is dooming it for failure. But, you seem to have th larger goal of getting your nutrition in order - and have subsequently broken it down into the smaller parts in accomplishing that.

I have the Berardi Precsion Nutrition System, and so do a ton of others on this site. I must say, it is very helpful, for people at all levels. It helps the beginner in understanding how everything is interrelated, etc…but also provides insight into what else is out there - but is realistic.

Don’t get discouraged when you learn a ton of stuff, eat a couple of days and then have a “Holy crap, I didn’t know that moment” because they will happen often.

And last…your brother…not enough nutrition??? He calls what he is getting nutrition? The way I look at it is we are eating what our late late late ancestors ate, but cleaner and more sanitized. Everyone will get back to that one day, I hope!

ah ha! I just remembered who it was…

Silent_Bob’s thread entitled “Starting the V-Diet Properly this time”

He posted the link to the spreadsheet on 10/10.

But he did mention somewhere that there was a miscalculation or an instance where some cells weren’t linked right so look through the rest of the thread!

Here’s my pic’s…

Obviously I have a LONG way to go.

Not sure what to call this pose, but its the only thing I look at in the mirror. The main goal in my V-Diet.

[quote]Polsen714 wrote:
There is a calorie trackng sheet that someone posted here in the forum…I tried to see who it was, but I couldnt find it, so look back further (it was a guy, I know that)

Try adding the 2 tbsp of flax in the a.m. shake, since you have to fit it in somewhere anyhow…

As for the goals you set, good for you. I started reading thinking - oh no, this is already a big challenge and to add more into it is dooming it for failure. But, you seem to have th larger goal of getting your nutrition in order - and have subsequently broken it down into the smaller parts in accomplishing that.

I have the Berardi Precsion Nutrition System, and so do a ton of others on this site. I must say, it is very helpful, for people at all levels. It helps the beginner in understanding how everything is interrelated, etc…but also provides insight into what else is out there - but is realistic.

Don’t get discouraged when you learn a ton of stuff, eat a couple of days and then have a “Holy crap, I didn’t know that moment” because they will happen often.

And last…your brother…not enough nutrition??? He calls what he is getting nutrition? The way I look at it is we are eating what our late late late ancestors ate, but cleaner and more sanitized. Everyone will get back to that one day, I hope![/quote]

Thanks for the help. Yea, I defintly have alot of goals, but I think most of them are “Big Picture” type goals that im looking to achieve wether its short or long term. I really want to be able to apply what I learn here. Ill def look into that guys post(thanks)

I really like Berardi…Whenever I need the final word on somthing I go straight to his work(Example Soy article). He uses great research, and informs rather then sells his readers. I will definelty look into that book once the V-diet is done.

I mentioned that my brother said that because It seems like he represents a popular view among people. Most people wouldn’t listen to a word about this diet after they hear “Liquid”. Even if they did, they couldnt conceive that it contains nutrition better then what most people get everyday basis.

Diet today (Day 2)

1560 calories
-64 fat
-37 Carbs
-222 Protein
-17 Fiber

Diet Overall
-Starting Weight 205

Goals
1500 Calories per day TO 1800 Calories

Tailgate at Jet Game—Was one of the hardest things ever. As soon as we got there they made Philly Cheesesteaks with Steakum, and Cheese Sauce with roasted Peppers. Then Sausage, Chicken, Ribs, Hot Dogs, and every type of Alcohol and chips possible all on a BBQ.

We tailgated for 2.5 hours before the game, and 1 hour after. Imagine the smell of over 10,000 bbq’s going on at one time, imagine all the beer/Alcohol, and food you can drink and tons of peer pressure. “Why would you start your diet a day before the Jet Game”, “Just start over tomm” were common phrases of the day. Super Tough day!

In the end I didn’t cheat, and hit all my goals for the day. Also my cousin just started the V-Diet, so it will be alot easier to stay on it.

Measurements from 2 days ago.

Stomach(Low) 42
Stomach(High 40
Chest 44
Right Arm 15.5
Left Arm 15
Right Thigh 25
Left Thigh 25

can you post a link for Chris’ All or Nothing article, i can’t find it

Day 3

Great workout today…I had some Surge about 20 minutes before the workout and it really helped my energy levels and overall pump.

Nutrition
-1638 Calories
-59 grams of Fat
-91 grams of Carbs
-203 grams of Protein
-29 grams of Fiber

-My Fiber was a bit low yesterday, and I would really like to keep it around 30 this week, and eventually move it around 40.

-My stomach body was feeling alittle off the first 2 days, but I started feeling alot better today. I love the feeling of control you get with this diet. Ive never been able to know exactly what Im taking in until now. I love the feeling, and im considering getting a scale to help me count calories after the V-Diet.

Not sure if this is normal, but I love the Flax. The texture is great in the drinks, and has a nice taste.

Dave, I can’t find the article offhand. It might have been in Gus’s blog, or a very early entry from CS that just stuck with me since Im an all or nothing person.

Anyone know the name of the article Where Chris talks about All or Nothing people?

I bought a scale right before I started the V-Diet, and had used it for my HSMs to make sure I was super accurate on the cals.

Honestly, it is a necessity for success in nutrition. You will use it a lot at first, and then you will begin to be able to guesstimate your portions.

Get on it!

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.