Biotest

Variable's V-Diet: First Time

I have successfully dieted in the past with my mentor who competed in his prime. After 3 months of mostly egg whites with low carb wheat toast for breakfast and chicken and brown rice 4 times a day, I could expect to drop about 25 pounds. This diet has some serious nutrient deficiencies and will leave you with hard-core cravings. I have also noticed that brain function can really suffer too.

I am pumped to be starting the V-Diet. I stumbled upon this website last fall and have been hooked ever since. I really like the idea of maintaining and perhaps gaining muscle mass while dropping serious fat. Like my current avatar shows, I used to weigh 240 lbs and bench 420 lbs for a 1RM and 315 for 3 sets of 10. Due to extremely long hours at my desk at work and family stresses I have been eating only one to two non-healthy solid meals (Burger King, frozen pizza, etc.) per day and surviving on coffee/energy drinks for energy. I was only getting 3-6 hours of sleep per night. Over time, and surprisingly not that long, my muscle mass has been eaten alive and I have found myself thinner in the important areas (chest, shoulders, arms, legs, etc.) and larger in the middle.

It is time I got back to where I need to be and start looking like I work out again. I started the V-Diet today and can’t wait to see what the next 6 weeks brings (diet + transition). I actually have my whole spring and summer body building program outlined. No more shirt sleeves blowing in the breeze or people asking if I workout.

What do I expect out of the V-Diet? After the transition ends I want to have dropped 20 lbs of fat. I know that is hard to measure if you gain any muscle. My ultimate goal is to either drop 15 lbs of scale weight and gain .25 inches on my arms or bring my waist line down to 37 inches or less in the next 6 weeks. Since I have run down my body so badly, I am hoping it bounces back quickly but I am not sure if my goals are reasonable.

If anybody has any advice, I would love to hear it. Below are my starting measurements. Note: this post started 03/21.

Height - 6’3"
Weight - 226.8 lbs.
Neck - 16"
Shoulders - 52.25"
Chest - Upper - 48"
Chest - Lower - 45"
Waist - at Navel - 40.5"
Waist - at largest - 40.5"
Hips - at largest 39.25"
Upper Arm - L - 16 3/8"
Upper Arm - R - 17 1/8"
Upper Leg - L - 24 5/8"
Upper Leg - R - 24 5/8"
Lower Leg - L - 16 1/8"
Lower Leg - R - 16 3/8"
Ankle - L - 10"
Ankle - R - 10"

Here are my before pics taken day one (Sunday) in the morning before my first shake.

Day 1

Day one (Sunday) was pretty uneventful. I drank all my shakes, but I learned the hard way that I need to start my shakes earlier in the day. I didn’t have the first one until 10 a.m. so my last one wasn’t until 10 p.m. The last shake of the day is quite large so I went to bed still feeling pretty full. I am really impressed with the taste of the shakes. I had 4 chocolate shakes with Strawberry as meal 3.

A lot of V-Dieters really had me scared about being hungry all day. This wasn’t the case for me. Since I have grown accustomed to two meals a day with coffee non-stop, I really had a hard time getting all the shakes down.

I started out with one HOT-ROX and I was falling asleep all morning so I took two in the afternoon about 3 p.m. That did the trick and I didn’t have a problem falling asleep.

I expect after a couple of days, I will not be continually full as my body adjusts to regularly timed meals. For NEPA, I took a 45 minute walk.

Day 2

I needed to focus on drinking my shakes at the appropriate times, but I did not have to force them down today… at least the first three. I hit the gym for my Intermediate workout about 6:30. I haven’t worked out in a while (as my pics indicate) and the workout really kicked my arse. I was able to keep to the 30 second rest between sets, but I spent a good portion of that rest desperate to catch my breath.

This was my first workout in over a month so I fully expect to be sore for the next couple of days. With that being said, I didn’t wuss out on the weights (100 lbs for DB bench). I did NEPA on the treadmill directly after my workout and felt like I was going to pass out the whole time. I did 3.0 mph on a 2.0 incline and I could feel myself getting nauseous on and off. I only did 20 minutes.

It took me an hour to drink my Surge, but started to gradually feel better as I drank the recovery drink. The taste was pretty good, a little on the sweet side, but good. I suppose it is better than the alternative. I ended up with stomach issues that passed after a couple of hours and I was able to down my forth shake with no problem. Since it is time for bed, I added the natural peanut butter to this shake. I am skipping my fifth shake. I know this is not acceptable, but feel it is necessary unless I want to stay up for a couple more hours and not get the minimum seven hours sleep. I do not plan to miss any more shakes. I really want all the benefits of the V-Diet. That and the cost of the diet really motivates me to make sure I do not do this half way.

I just made a comment in my log about how I only get hungry on the evening of training days…otherwise I’m always full. Maybe you’ll experience something similar?

Anyway, hopefully this thing gets you back to your past days of glory. You were pretty fuckin’ ginormous in your avatar.

Landwaster - Thanks, I hope the same holds true for me. I hesitated putting that pic up for my avatar since that doesn’t reflect me at this time. I really want to get back to that size and I am committing myself to that goal. I figured if I put that pic up, it will inspire me to eat, sleep and train hard. In that pic I was only taking BSN Cellmass and NO Explode. I didn’t know about Biotest at the time, please forgive me for cheating on T-Nation.

Hey! I want to know about people’s training…primarily from an observation standpoint. I like to compare the difference in impact for those who are starting the diet in a trained state vs an untrained state vs a previously well trained state. I also like to see how peoples strength progresses throughout (as compared to my own); the differences between male and female; the effect of existing muscle mass on results; as well as the extent that muscle memory speeds results.

So, please, post your training!

On another note, Biotest products rock

Welcome, it looks like we started at the same time. This is day 3 for me as well. Best of luck!

Welcome aboard Varible…I hope you achieve your goals.

By popular demand… my first work out on the V-Diet. Please remember I have been out of the gym for a while and my stamina is awful.

Monday - Week 1 - Intermediate program

Front squat: 185x4, 185x4, 135x4, 135x4, 135x4
Chin up: (BW 20 lbs)x5, (BW 20 lbs)x4, (BW)x4, (BW)x3, (BW)x2, (BW)x2
Dumbbell Bench Press: 100x5, 100x5, 100x4, 100x3
Ab-Wheel Rollout: BWx5, BWx5, BWx5, BWx5

Note: BW = Body Weight. All weights in pounds.

This workout was a killer. I could barely catch my breath in the allotted 30 seconds rest. I can really get my head right, but I thought I was going to pass out a couple of times. NEPA was right after the workout. I pushed 91 on my phone and hand my finger on that last 1…

I am seriously crashing here. I am sipping my 4th shake of the day. I think I started too late and put too much time between my 2nd and 3rd shakes. I am almost in a catatonic state… I don’t crave anything in particular. I think I am just feeling the lack of carbs. After this shake settles, I’m out to get in my NEPA. If you guys don’t hear from me later, send someone to pull me out of the gutter.

[quote]variable wrote:
If you guys don’t hear from me later, send someone to pull me out of the gutter.[/quote]

As long as you stay away from Anacostia, you will be fine brother!

Day 3

Overall, it was fine. There was a two to three hour period that was pure torture. I wasn’t hungry, but I wasn’t myself. I was very short-tempered and easily irritable… noises/commotion really drove me crazy. After my fourth shake I started feeling better and was able to handle NEPA no problem. My NEPA was 40 minutes on the treadmill at 2.0 incline. I did 5 minutes at 3.0 mph, 30 minutes between 3.5 and 4.0 mph. I had to keep switching speeds because of a cramp. I did the last 5 minutes at 3.0 mph.

I downed my fifth shake with no problem. I was drinking it a little fast so I slowed down the pace. I am really starting to find that the last shake of the day is my favorite… the natural peanut butter hits the spot. I made sure I got every morsel off the tablespoon.

Day 4

My entire team took off for Thai food for lunch. I love Thai food… Spicy Chicken with Basil (3 peppers). I suppose this isn’t too unhealthy except you don’t have a brown rice option. Of course I stayed back at the office to avoid temptations. I don’t have any urges to go, its just that normally I would be first in line to put the hurt on the Thai food.

I haven’t advertised around the office that I am on a diet, but everyone sees me drinking protein shakes and assumes I am trying to loose weight. The amount of free advice is unbelievable.

As a side note, does anyone know what is really in Super Food? I suspect it is sprinkled with crack. I notice my energy picks up after my shakes with Super Food.

Everybody’s a fuckin’ expert, aren’t they?

Alright, I’ve been slacking on my posts. Here is Wednesday’ workout.

Wednesday - Week 1 - Intermediate program

Reverse Lunge DB: 40x8, 40x6, 40x7, 40x6, 35x12
Bent-Over Row (BB): 105x9, 135x8, 135x8, 135x8, 135x8
Push Press (BB): 105x8, 135x8, 135x7, 105x9, 105x8
Reverse Crunch on floor: 8, 8, 8, 8

Note: All weights in pounds.

My entire body was extremely sore from Monday’s workout. Legs hurt the most during this workout when I started doing lunges. Even stretching was a killer. My abs were still so sore that I had to hold on to the sides of the power rack as I did my reverse crunches otherwise there was no way I could have gotten my feet off the floor. And, no, I was at the gym late so I wasn’t blocking the power rack from people who needed to squat. My stamina was better than on Monday. I measure this by the fact that I didn’t feel like I was about to pass out or puke. It was definitely intense though. I did 30 minutes of NEPA on the treadmill at 2.0 incline.

I got in all my shakes. I found on workout days it is key for me to get in shakes 1-4 before my workout for a couple of reasons. First, shake #4 seems to give me some energy (suspect Super Food). Second, I drink Surge directly after my workout and that has me full for about 2 hours. That makes it crazy to try to get in two more shakes since I don’t get home from the gym until around 8 or so.

Day 5

This post if for Thursday…HSM day. I was in a meeting at work literally from 9-5 with no lunch break. At shake time (about every 3 hours), I recommended a 5 minute break so I could get my shake and refill water. It crutial for me to get my shakes on time even if I don’t feel hungry at that moment. Otherwise I can feel my brain function shutting down and I start to get easily irritable.

My boss offered to order pizza in so we could eat as we continued on. I passed and had my shake and 2 fiber chews for lunch.

For dinner, I skipped shake #4 and went to Whole Foods on my way home from work. I had a big field greens and spinach salad to start. I was in the mood for something lighter so I got baked salmon, veggies (green beans, zucchini, squash, broccoli), sweet potato and a some pineapple for dessert.

It was interesting that I wasn’t craving the HSM as badly as I imagined I would. I took my time eating and tried to take in the taste of the food. Really the biggest difference in the HSM vs what a normal healthy meal would be for me was the dressing. I would normally go for blue cheese, 1000 island or perhaps ranch. I really enjoyed the oil and vinegar dressing. I can definitely see myself continuing with that dressing instead of cream dressings, especially if that makes the difference in abs or no abs. After a great meal like that I might normally finish it off with cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory or a dessert from Whole Foods, but the pineapple really hit the spot.

About an hour after eating I walked outside for 35-40 minutes for my NEPA. I got in just as the wind picked up and the rain started falling.

Day 6

I currently work with a guy that ‘works out’. It is something along the lines of some multi-purpose machine two times per week. I’m not knocking those machines (maybe a little), it is better than nothing. Everyone has different goals and things that are important to them. I’m OK with this. I generally believe ‘to each his own’ unless it affects me. Anyway, this guy hears me shaking my shaker bottle and announces how I ‘love attention… crave attention.’

What? Just because everyone else looks average I have to look average? I know the real cause of the comment… I’m just ranting a little. You guys can all see my ‘before’ photos at the beginning of the log. As long as I look like that, nobody gives me a hard time. As long as I shovel pizza and cheeseburgers in my face, nobody give me a hard time. As soon as I try to better myself, everyone want to grab your legs and pull you back in the pit. Not cool. Once I get back in shape I need to rip the sleeves off of a dress shirt and show up to work like that.

Friday- Week 1 - Intermediate program

Deadlift: 135x9, 155x9, 175x8, 175x7, 175x7
Decline Dumbbell Bench Press: 80x10, 100x8, 100x6, 80x6, 60x9
Pull-Up neutral grip (All body weight): 4, 4, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2
Hand Walkout from knees: 10, 8, 7

Note: All weights in pounds.

I was still sore all over from Monday’s and Wednesday’s workouts and it took me a while to get loose. I was pretty humbled by my pull-ups, but not too proud to do them. My stamina seemed much better and I kept to the 45 second rest periods.

On the way home from the gym I was thinking that maybe my stamina was much better since I drank half of Surge right before my workout and the other half right after? I normally wouldn’t have done that, but since I got such a late start I didn’t want to have the full Surge shake after my workout.

Oh, one more rant. The same character that was hatin on my shakes yesterday also was claiming there were steroids in my shakes and I was ‘cheating’ by drinking them. Its amazing the stuff people come up with to help them feel better about themselves. Keep in mind this is all unsolicited crap. I don’t walk around preaching workouts or wearing spandex at work.

Of course telling this guy there are no steroids in my protein shakes wasn’t good enough. I didn’t feel the need to defend myself, but basically he said there is no way I can prove there are no steroids in the shakes. Then he goes on to tell me how his wife made him a protein shake consisting of fruit… um I think that is called a smoothie.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.