Biotest

V x 3

Yup, that’s right. This is my third time around. Back aboard the crazy train!

Since I’ve posted sporadically in a few threads, I thought I’d throw something up to introduce myself. I originally did the V-Diet when Shugart first wrote about it, was curious about V-Diet 3.0 and finally decided on a lark to try it two Sundays ago. I already had some Metabolic Drive, HRX, Flameout and flax seeds, but ordered the L-Leucine and some extra Metabolic Drive (forgot to add Superfood to the order).

It’s been interesting to see the program changes and reactions over the years, since the original plan was basically Metabolic Drive, an older version of HRX, flax seeds and Waterbury’s TBT program.

Back then:

• I didn’t have fancy supps like Superfood, L-Leucine, or Flameout.

• I didn’t have a fancy workout program which included fancy bodyweight exercises I could download or watch fancy videos for the exercise examples.

• I didn’t have a fancy on-line calculator which tallied up my caloric intake (no sir, I used a handheld calculator).

• I didn’t have to take fancy body measurements using a fancy body tape.

• I didn’t have a fancy forum to schmooze with Shugart.

• When I did my NEPA, I did it walking up a hill. Both ways.

/My lawn, you damn kids - get off of it.

I started V-Diet 3.0 at 195 (I’m 6’2") and three days later I was down to 188. This is the fastest loss out of the 3 times I’ve done it, which I attribute to not loading up on final “goodbye to carbs” meals the day before the diet. This morning’s weigh in was 187, so it’s been holding pretty steady for almost a week. We’ll see where it goes from here. No body measurements since I still don’t have a fancy…ok, in reality I’m lazy and don’t feel like doing measurements so the scale weight it’ll be.

Whys and Wherefores

The first time I did the V-Diet, it was several months after I’d quit a job I hated so much I didn’t have another job to go to, was generally depressed and thought at least the one thing I could control was my weight. I was at 225.

The result was so dramatic, it took a month for my mind after the V-Diet was over to catch up to my body. I moved differently, felt differently and whenever I was in line and saw a reflective surface of the people in it, I did a double take and had to look for myself in the reflection because I didn’t recognize my bodyshape anymore.

I kept the weight off for about a year, then tried out Joel Marion’s Cheat to Lose diet. Gained 10 lbs (not muscle!) and discovered - as Shugart’s mentioned - as a FFB, I can’t have regular cheat days because I lose my gains quickly. I also enrolled in the fire academy to become a volunteer firefighter. Dropped out after 2 1/2 weeks because of lack of conditioning and my bodyweight (I gained an additional 10 lbs because I thought I could eat whatever I wanted with the energy I was expending. Nope!). So I did V-Diet 2.0 which was about the same as 1.0, but I kept TBT since I didn’t like the newer workout programs. Lost another 20 and kept it off.

This year I went back to the academy (15 lbs lighter than last year) and finished it. I had a arm injury in the last 2 months of class which prevented me from seriously working out into February and it seems I’ve hit a plateau again. While I’m at a decent weight, my bodyfat has crept up and I’d like to get rid of this extra pouch on my midsection.

Your fancy welcome post:

Very cool. Keep us posted!

[/smooze]

Don’t You Know That You’re Toxic…

This should be nicknamed the “Now You Get to See Who Your Friends Really Are” Diet. I’ve read about the nasty reactions some of the V Dieters here get from co-workers/friends and it seems to be the norm to a degree. On one hand, this is a pretty extreme diet and a lot of people have trouble adjusting to the carb depletion, so it’s easy to see why some would question it.

On the other, there’s something about dedicating yourself which can really draw the snark out of people. Case in point - after my first V-Diet, I got such a lack of reaction, especially the ones who really liked pointing out how fat I was to others, I became curious and wrote a post to other V-Dieters see how people around them reacted after they finished the diet. That thread’s here: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/velocity_diet_reactions_from_people

I didn’t get much of a reaction the second time either. Got some serious flak, though. One time I was out with some people who kept asking why I wasn’t dating anyone at the time. One girl pointedly asking me if I liked guys instead. Now, I’d told her before about some women I was interested in, and she even set up a date (which later fell through) with one of those women she knew, so she obviously knew better. So why was she being an ass?

Think any of those people in that group besides me were skinny?

These types of people are going to find ways to undermine you which don?t necessarily involve food. Be ready!

Thoughts About the “Fancy” New Program

After my first round on them, I thought the addition of the bodyweight exercises was a sadomasochistic twist but in the end a great barometer as to how in shape/conditioning your body’s getting into. I did the Beginner V-Burn on the first day and finished it in 28 minutes, huffing and puffing. Yesterday I did it in 20 and wasn’t breathing as hard.

I like the 3 program split depending on the level of lifter you are. I’m doing the Intermediate level and the only quibble I had was Friday’s workout. I didn’t have my Surge with me so I was feeling the carb depletion and I don’t normally do deadlifts so I wasn’t comfortable with the bar (switching to using the dbells this week).

And doing declines? Seriously? Think of a flipped over turtle trying to get rightside up again and you’ll have an idea of how I looked trying to get those weights up off the floor. At least with an incline bench (which I’ll be switching to) I could swing the weights up with much less trouble.

As for my NEPA, I’m walking 3 miles twice a day with at least one time wearing a 40 lb vest.

This Thread is Worthless Without Pics

Here’s where I came from:

The top pic is from Summer 2004. I was at my heaviest: 255. Notice the double chin taking up half my face.

The left pic is me at 230. This was Fall 2005. Less chin involved here.

The right pic is from last year about a month before the academy.

Sooooo, what’s the current pic?

Cool intro - glad to hear you have made such progress this far - and I’m sure you’ll breeze right through it. There is something about doing it a second, or a third time I think that allows you to realize that not eating food for 28 days is NOT the end of the world. Then it’s more bearable,right?

And I’m nosey - where are you from?

[quote]Polsen714 wrote:
Sooooo, what’s the current pic? [/quote]

I still look like the pic on the right for the most part. Because of the injury I wasn’t able to work out as hard as I was over the summer so I’m a bit softer now.

Well, yes and no. It’s a bit wonky.

There’s times I’ve done mini V-Diets and had to stop after 1 day because the hunger pangs were so bad. Even during the first two times I had my moments and ended up having half a banana or some pb crackers just so I could sleep.

But yeah, this time around things seem to be clicking. One of my shakes leaked out last week so I had to have a solid meal. Since I’d worked out earlier (plus did the diet before), I didn’t worry about the effects of having solid food as long as I kept the carbs down. Interesting thing was the taste change was already kicking in 3 days into the diet because the meal wasn’t tasty when I usually would think it would be.

Around the same area as VTBalla (Go Hokies!).

Hey there! I enjoyed your posts. Very Funny. I was around in the early days too, but never ventured into the hard-core Fat Fast territory. Trying to think of that guys name - with the white tee. Oh yeah … Brock. Didn’t he end up in jail or something?

BFL eating was enough of a challenge. By the way…that first fat-burner was MD6. Good stuff. HOT-ROX is wonderful too, obviously.

You’ll rock this 3rd round!

Ok gotcha…
DC too? Man I just love DC. I think it has something to do with my love for history, social causes, hot weather, mass transit, and oh yeah the male:female ratio helps too

[quote]Tech9 wrote:
This should be nicknamed the “Now You Get to See Who Your Friends Really Are” Diet.
[/quote]

Very true. Sad, but true. I like that nickname. I’m stealing it.

Yep, exactly why I asked Coach Waterbury to include this. I myself was amazed at the performance improvements I experienced, even in activities I hadn’t practiced. I wanted others to see that too. So besides being a great training session, the V-Burn is a teaching tool and progress marker.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Very true. Sad, but true. I like that nickname. I’m stealing it.
[/quote]

You’re welcome!

I’m pretty sure it’s been said before, but the V-Diet is a great way to “reset” more than your eating habits.

Both times that I’ve done this I learned much more about other people than I did about myself.

[quote]Tech9 wrote:
Polsen714 wrote:And I’m nosey - where are you from?

[/quote]

Great, now I have to follow your log too…hahaha j/k bro…welcome aboard man! If you need any advice, feel free to give any of us a shout…but since this is your 3rd time around, I don’t think that will be necessary! Put in the effort and the results come on this thing…its fantastic…

BTW, your introduction cracked me up…this should be an interesting one to follow

And Polsen, I don’t think you would enjoy the mass transit and hot weather (read: humidity) as much if you actually lived here (especially during tourist season). The history part is very cool though.

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:
I was around in the early days too, but never ventured into the hard-core Fat Fast territory. Trying to think of that guys name - with the white tee. Oh yeah … Brock. Didn’t he end up in jail or something? [/quote]

Brock Strasser. Yeah, last I read he did go to jail a couple years ago.

MD6 might’ve been used with the Fat Fast Diet (I never did that program), but when Shugart tweaked FF to become the Velocity Diet, HOT-ROX was the supp used.

MD6 was nice, though. I think HRX is a better fat burner, but MD6 was a much better mood enhancer.

I’m right there with you on the decline DB work. I actually have the same problem on DB bench - I can curl 55s, and maybe body english up some 60s, but for a “heavy” load on DB Bench I have to use at least 70/75s for the recommended rep range. Has anyone found a good technique for this? Right now I’m working without a spotter, so both getting into position with the weight and dropping it afterwards are a challenge.

oo i found ur blog!! u lost more weight then me in 3 days but iv decided to let it pass and still like u! this is only a joke, other peoples success really spurs me on!! good luck hun!! x

One thing I forgot to mention is the week 1 workout seriously pounded me, which was a surprise since I’d been already working out (I guess not intensely enough!). I also woke up really sore, which was another surprise since I’d been drinking my Surge.

Last night’s workout went over much better.

It was nice to do pullups right out of the box instead of having to wait till the end of the diet when I was light enough.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Tech9 wrote:
Polsen714 wrote:And I’m nosey - where are you from?

Great, now I have to follow your log too…hahaha j/k bro…welcome aboard man! If you need any advice, feel free to give any of us a shout…but since this is your 3rd time around, I don’t think that will be necessary! Put in the effort and the results come on this thing…its fantastic…

BTW, your introduction cracked me up…this should be an interesting one to follow

And Polsen, I don’t think you would enjoy the mass transit and hot weather (read: humidity) as much if you actually lived here (especially during tourist season). The history part is very cool though.

[/quote]

Oh, I WAS there throughout all of that. Had a conference there July 6-12 last summer and we stayed at the Hyatt on Capitol Hill. Yes it was hot in the subway tunnels but I loved it! I love public transportation (we don’t have it here) and the sun (we really don’t have that either)

Hey, Thanks for stopping by my thread! I’m just going to call you “The Veteran” becuase you’ve been there and done that. haha. Great progress by the way. I am just amazed at some of the success stories on here. I will be sure to keep up with yours. Journey on!

I’ve been reading through the threads and noting there’s a pretty good amount of people who’ve complained about lack of energy/feeling rundown, lack of sleep, severe nausea, and a few other things.

Like it’s been said, this is a very carb depleted diet and I think people are surprised when that part kicks in so severely.

Don’t expect to break any strength records and if you do try to have an intense workout without taking your carb fasted state into consideration, be prepared to bonk (just like I did last night. Heh.). It’s tough enough just to get through the day sometimes.

The first time I tried the V Diet, I was so rundown I was taking naps at noon even with full HOT-ROX dosages. Biotest has improved the HR formula since then (my second time was easier because of that), but it’s still an ass kicker of a diet. I’m taking the full HRX dosage, drinking a cup of coffee and still get physically sluggish/a mental fog at times. My sleep schedule is also taking a hit (this and the lack of energy is why I’d been sitting on the fence for V 3.0 for awhile).

This third time has been the easiest transition to the V-Diet because I’ve already been low carb eating for several weeks. The biggest shock to my system was the first time I tried it and I got the same issues as some here: headaches, nausea, etc…

I think another diet twist is if your body even feels like doing it at the time. I’ve tried to do extreme low carb diets like T-Dawg and had to quit in the same day because the withdrawals were so bad. Other times, I’ve been able to pull it off. Don’t know why.

About the nausea/stomach pangs/headaches: if they really got bad, especially when I was trying to sleep, then I’d have half a banana or natural pb and some crackers. Yeah, this is supposed to be a no-no, but my need for a good night sleep or just being able to function took precedence. Even that little bit helped even me out and I was still able to lose 20 lbs both times with the taste changes this diet is known for to stay intact. Just don’t go overboard! Fiber tabs helped somewhat too.

As for stomach reactions to the HSM, got me on that one. Pretty much all of my HSMs have been straight steak and potato types and I’ve never had an HSM issue. The only time my stomach had a bad reaction was the 2nd go around and that was due to the natural PB. Every time I mixed it with a shake, I’d regret it. Weird thing was I’d had natural PB before and have no issue putting it in my shakes now.

Hopefully this’ll help some of you. Any questions, feel free to ping away.