Biotest

V-Training Weight Choice

I just want to be sure I understand the weight choice before I begin tomorrow evening… Say, for the medium weight, for instance, it calls for an 8-9 rep max at a decent speed, correct? So does that mean if i can lift it 10 or 12 times, but I have to slow my pace to eek out those last two or three reps, is that weight too heavy or too light or just right?

[quote]VTRushinCA wrote:
I just want to be sure I understand the weight choice before I begin tomorrow evening… Say, for the medium weight, for instance, it calls for an 8-9 rep max at a decent speed, correct? So does that mean if i can lift it 10 or 12 times, but I have to slow my pace to eek out those last two or three reps, is that weight too heavy or too light or just right? [/quote]

The weight guidelines are for your first set. So, on set #1 you pick a weight you can lift 8 to 9 times without losing speed. From the instructions: “A set ends when you can no longer lift the weight at the same speed, using the same form.”

So, if you can lift the chosen weight for that first set 12 times on medium day without cheating or having to grind out the last reps slowly, then you’ve gone too light. If you only get 6 reps before crapping out or noticeably losing speed, then you’ve gone too heavy. It may take a workout or two to get the hang of choosing weights.

Finally, remember that after that first set, you probably won’t get 8-9 every time. Number of sets doesn’t matter after that. Just do as many sets as it takes to reach 40, even if the last few sets are just sets of 2-3 reps. The 8-9 guideline is just to help you choose the right weight on set #1 to begin that exercise. If you can get 8-9 every single set, then you’ve gone too light.