Biotest

V-Diet with Pulse Fast

Chris,
Some time ago in a pulse fast thread or LiveSpill you said something along the lines of a 2 week V-Diet incorporating a weekly (?) pulse fast had great results and may replace the full 28 day protocol. Are you able to share some details or rough guidelines? In the near future I canâ??t practically do a full 28 day V-Diet due to travel, etc. I could do a 2 week protocol some months. This is why Iâ??m curious and would like to experiment. Advice?

We’re experimenting with a few ideas, but the gist is to do a two-week V-Diet with once or twice-weekly Pulse Fasts, say Monday and Thursday, or just Monday.

Saturday or Sunday would be an HSM day.

Then, after two weeks on and one week off, one could then hit another two-week V-Diet with Pulse Fasts, if needed.

Chris,
Great info. I think this idea is certainly a futue experiment. Thanks!

Chris,
What would a transition phase look like after the 2 week integrated V/Pulse Diet (if you didn’t restart the integrated diet again after a week off)?

Same as the usual V-Diet with 1 HSM a day for week 1, then 2 for week 2?

Is this also what you would recommend for the “off” week in-betwen the two V/Pulse diet?

Thanks.

This is all in the experimental stage, but what I’m liking so far is something like this:

2 Weeks V-Diet with two Pulse Fast days (HSM once)
1 Week of HSMs with the occasional shake for convenience
2 Weeks V-Diet with two Pulse Fast days (HSM once)

With a shortened V-Diet, the Transition is less important, if you can choose healthy foods. If someone is not in control of themselves yet and need more time for “food rehab” then a standard Transition plan would be fine – shakes all day except for one HSM.

The V-Diet and the Pulse Fast both help you to learn auto-regulation and body-awareness, which makes all this much more instinctive. After some experience, you “feel” when it’s time to throw in a <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/velocity_life/mag10_pulse_fast_1?src=vdiet"target=“new”>Pulse Fast or a week of V-Dieting… sort of a booster shot if you catch yourself slipping. So, someone with experience with this can learn to wing it quite effectively, but the above is a good guideline and what I’ve seen a lot of success with.

OK Chris, here are my results. The 2 week V-diet with 1 Pulse fast week 1 and 2 P-fasts week 2 resulted in 13 pounds lost and 2 inches off my waist. I’m 6’4" and now 234 down from 247. My fat is almost exclusively of the midsection heart attack variety, so this was great. Interestingly, I lost the 13 lbs the first week and nothing (!) week 2. The weight is off for about 2 weeks now so it’s real. It was an interesting experiment which I may repeat again in a tactical way.

Funny observation, the thing I missed most was chewing. Maybe it’s just me, but if it was lo-carb Metabolic Drive bars vs shakes I think I would have found it much easier. If only there were very low carb protein bars (without sugar alcohols) that don’t require the installation of seat belts on the toilet. If Biotest made such a bar, I would buy them by the case.

Another surprise was my excellent training energy during this diet. In addition to the iron, I swam 1000 yards 3 times a week and felt strong, maybe even stronger than usual. I thought I would drag, but not at all.

Thanks for your advice at the start.

[quote]Lugan wrote:
OK Chris, here are my results. The 2 week V-diet with 1 Pulse fast week 1 and 2 P-fasts week 2 resulted in 13 pounds lost and 2 inches off my waist. I’m 6’4" and now 234 down from 247. My fat is almost exclusively of the midsection heart attack variety, so this was great. Interestingly, I lost the 13 lbs the first week and nothing (!) week 2. The weight is off for about 2 weeks now so it’s real. It was an interesting experiment which I may repeat again in a tactical way. Funny observation, the thing I missed most was chewing. Maybe it’s just me, but if it was lo-carb metabolic drive bars vs shakes I think I would have found it much easier. If only there were very low carb protein bars (without sugar alcohols) that don’t require the installation of seat belts on the toilet. If Biotest made such a bar, I would buy them by the case.

Another surprise was my excellent training energy during this diet. In addition to the iron, I swam 1000 yards 3 times a week and felt strong, maybe even stronger than usual. I thought I would drag, but not at all.

Thanks for your advice at the start.
[/quote]

Thanks for that in-the-trenches feedback, Lugan!

I hear the “I just want to chew” comment a lot. I get that and would sometimes make Metabolic Drive shakes so thick and icy I’d have to eat them with a spoon. Just for the texture change.

That said, I think the lack of chewing helps break some of the bad food-related habits we have patterned into our minds. It’s like food rehab, totally cold turkey from familiar eating patterns.

Just some thoughts. Thanks again for the input!

I am currently on day 8 of my transition phase. I did the V-Diet 3.0 verbatim for the 28 days with awesome results.

While I was in the middle of the diet I started reading up on this experiment with the 2 weeks on, pulse fasts, and then 2 more weeks of V-Diet. I chose to stay with the “conventional” V-Diet for 28 days mainly because I wanted to kick some poor eating habits. While the experiment interested me, from what Chris has written about taking ~21 days to get rid of bad habits, I chose stay with the original and to do my own modifications during the transition phase.

Anyways, on my transition phase now, I have incorporated pulse fasts 2 times a week. My only change to the transition phase protocol is that on the morning after my pulse fast I take my normal V-Diet shake but I also add a bit of solid food. My reasoning is that I am coming off 36 hours with only about 700 calories so I want to get a bit more solid food in my system. I am on my third pulse today, but on the previous 2 I have found that my food eating capacity that morning after is really small. Both times I only ate 2 hard-boiled eggs and a slice of ham. That in addition to my 2 scoops of Metabolic Drive, Superfood, leucine, and Flameout leaves me absolutely stuffed.

This is the first time I have done the V Diet, so I can’t really compare the results of my experiment to doing the V Diet transition conventionally, but I can say that I really enjoy my pulse fast days. More appropriately, I enjoy the day after. I have found that the day after my pulse fast, even with shakes in the day and 1 HSM in the evening, I have a ton of energy and my workouts are awesome. For example, my last pulse fast day after I did the V Burn Challenge and cut a full 9 minutes off my previous best time. I generally walk around feeling energized all day.

Once my transition phase is done, I plan to continue with the pulse fasts 2 times a week but switch to 2 HSMs a day.

Chris, have you seen anyone else do something similar to what I am doing? Any suggestions to tweak my protocol, or do think my plan is total crap? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Hockeydawg: Sounds fine.

Just remember to be instinctive with it, which is something V-Diet, Pulse Fast and IM can teach you. You’ll be able to “listen to your gut” better. So maybe one Pulse Fast per week is all you need one week, but the next you may “feel” that two is the way to go. Go with that rather than sticking to your plan. This is what I call body awareness, and it’s the path to long-term success.

I’m about to end Week 2 of V-Dieting with Pulse Fasts and I’m going into the transition phase as outlined about 4 posts up. My question is would the “Animal Diet” type of meals be a good option? Just wondering if all the added fat would be bad for the body after a couple weeks of shakes and fasts. I just think not to overdo the meal size is the important thing.

Sample meal something simple like 3 eggs, half avocado, spinach, and about 1/4 lbs of beef or other meat. Should be good with 3 other shakes throughout the day? Or would you opt for a more leaner, lesser fat HSM option for transition week?

Oh yeah, after the 1 week transition I plan on going back into 2 weeks of V-Diet and Pulse Fasts.

[quote]uv_deth wrote:
I’m about to end Week 2 of V-Dieting with Pulse Fasts and I’m going into the transition phase as outlined about 4 posts up. My question is would the “Animal Diet” type of meals be a good option? Just wondering if all the added fat would be bad for the body after a couple weeks of shakes and fasts. I just think not to overdo the meal size is the important thing.

Sample meal something simple like 3 eggs, half avocado, spinach, and about 1/4 lbs of beef or other meat. Should be good with 3 other shakes throughout the day? Or would you opt for a more leaner, lesser fat HSM option for transition week?

Oh yeah, after the 1 week transition I plan on going back into 2 weeks of V-Diet and Pulse Fasts.[/quote]

Those type of meals would work fine. Fat is good.

But don’t try to pre-plan them too much. Be instinctive. You’ll likely be satisfied quickly with those types of meals. And you will auto-regulate and self-adjust. Listen to your body rather than “the plan.”

so you would kick of the VDiet with a pulse fast on Monday, followed by a second pulse fast the following Monday. Sounds interesting, may have to give it a try

[quote]jeffmyers4 wrote:
so you would kick of the VDiet with a pulse fast on Monday, followed by a second pulse fast the following Monday. Sounds interesting, may have to give it a try[/quote]

That’s pretty much it. I’ve done two Pulse Fasts per week of a V-Diet too. But one, every Monday say, is probably the best way to go. Two per week is pretty extreme given that the non-Pulsing days are V-Diet days.

I’ve been pulse fasting on my V-Diet every Monday and Thursday…I actually thought that’s what the recommended protocol was until I just read this thread. Perhaps this week I can joyfully skip the pulse fast on thursday. I was thinking of pulse fasting on Saturday and having a large HSM on Easter Sunday.

I wonder if I would have lost more weight with only one pulse fast weekly, perhaps I put my body under too much stress + the training. I didn’t do the v-diet workout, I carried on with my HP Mass program as an experiment. But the thing is I never, ever felt “weak” or “deprived” or “flat” while training. I’m sure when i start eating again I should look fuller but so far I still feel absolutely normal energy wise.

Perhaps the extra pulse fast days also exerted extra stress on my wallet too, lol. I’m just about out of MAG-10 (started with 2 bottles) and nearly half way through my bottle of ANACONDA after about 5 weeks.

Thanks Chris.

It is recommended to do the pulse fasts on a day where you work out correct?

I think i will give this a try, I did the full V-Diet last year around this time, this seems a little bit easier to gear up for mentally than to tackle the full V-Diet again.

[quote]jeffmyers4 wrote:
Thanks Chris.

It is recommended to do the pulse fasts on a day where you work out correct?

I think i will give this a try, I did the full V-Diet last year around this time, this seems a little bit easier to gear up for mentally than to tackle the full V-Diet again. [/quote]

I prefer to do Pulse Fasts on an off day or “cardio” day only. But Thibaudeau and others do them all the time on lifting days.

I pulse fast and workout in the AM while V-Dieting. Haven’t noticed a decrease in performance, however I can’t say that I’m getting stronger yet. I do my retest in a couple weeks. My pressing workouts are bench, top half bench, push presses, squats, and deadlifts.

In fact all my workouts are in the fasted state since I train in the am. Then I’ll normally pulse some MAG-10 every 2 hours till 1pm. Then I’ll have my first shakes. Not sure if it’s a good idea but it’s part of my V-Diet experiment.

Chris, Does the pulse fast has any workout routine?

Can we mixed this supplementation program with HSM and V-Workouts?

In my case I started the V-Diet and I’m considering this to be the next step…

It doesn’t really have an official workout, but Thibaudeau gives lots of advice in the Pulse Fast discussion area below the article.

I’m not sure what you mean. If you mix a Pulse Fast with an HSM you’re not fasting anymore.

But the V-Diet workouts are fine, yes.

The not pulse days… eats HSM + Metabolic Drive shakes :smiley: