Biotest

V-Diet with Heavy Training Load?

Hey Chris,

I’m interested in trying the V-Diet, not to lose weight so much as just because it looks so convenient to just drink shakes instead of having to cook and pack meals etc.

I’ve noticed quite a few posts on the forums from guys planning to go SEALs. I’m preparing for BRC right now. My training load is pretty heavy with alot of running (3x a week), swimming (3x a week), and PT (4x a week) in addition to weight training (3x a week) just to maintain strength levels.

Could the V-Diet be utilized by guys preparing for military training courses such as BUD/S and BRC if they just upped the calories? Say for instance, I weight 165 pounds, could I just enter in maybe 185 pounds as my bodyweight in the calculator and it would spit out a higher calorie diet?

Or could you tweak it and do the V-Diet plus one solid meal a day just to get those extra calories? Especially the carbs.

Thanks!

Here’s a biggie to keep in mind: When you drop excess fat, performance improves. Like running performance, endurance in general, pull-ups, dips, push-ups, vertical jump, all bodyweight related things etc.

So without doing any of those things, your performance in them will improve, assuming you have excess fat to lose.

But the idea of “lying” to the calculator could work. Hard to say. The V-Diet is for rapid fat loss with full muscle retention, period. That’s its focus. To tweak it any other way is an experiment.

[quote]Chillfactor009 wrote:
Hey Chris,

I’m interested in trying the V-Diet, not to lose weight so much as just because it looks so convenient to just drink shakes instead of having to cook and pack meals etc.

I’ve noticed quite a few posts on the forums from guys planning to go SEALs. I’m preparing for BRC right now. My training load is pretty heavy with alot of running (3x a week), swimming (3x a week), and PT (4x a week) in addition to weight training (3x a week) just to maintain strength levels.

Could the V-Diet be utilized by guys preparing for military training courses such as BUD/S and BRC if they just upped the calories? Say for instance, I weight 165 pounds, could I just enter in maybe 185 pounds as my bodyweight in the calculator and it would spit out a higher calorie diet?

Or could you tweak it and do the V-Diet plus one solid meal a day just to get those extra calories? Especially the carbs.

Thanks![/quote]
I think the real question is, “Why are you contemplating the V-Diet right now?” It would seem to me that if you are in an intense training period like this, you would be burning a ton of calories and would lose weight as long as your diet wasn’t total crap. To restrict your calories at the level of the V-Diet while trying to do this kind of training would probably kick your ass, and potentially cause your body to burn muscle due to a severe deficit in what your body is using on a daily basis and what you are putting in with the V-Diet.

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:

I think the real question is, “Why are you contemplating the V-Diet right now?” It would seem to me that if you are in an intense training period like this, you would be burning a ton of calories and would lose weight as long as your diet wasn’t total crap. To restrict your calories at the level of the V-Diet while trying to do this kind of training would probably kick your ass, and potentially cause your body to burn muscle due to a severe deficit in what your body is using on a daily basis and what you are putting in with the V-Diet.
[/quote]

Well, right now I’m around 10% body fat, or at least that’s what my scale tells me. My abs are completely visible, but it’s not like I have deep cuts or something, so… I’d figure 10% is about right.

I’m contemplating the V-Diet mainly because a diet where I don’t have to cook and I can just drink my meals on the go seems ideal right now. I follow the paleo diet as described by Robb Wolf, and I think I do pretty well on it, but groceries cost a shitload of money and sometimes I feel like I spend more time in the kitchen than I’d like to. V-Diet seems convenient, I read Dan John’s book and he raved about the V-Diet, so it kind of sparked my interest. Although, I will say right up from that I’m not sure it would be enough calories, carbs or fat, to maintain my training load. I’d hate to switch over, buy a month’s worth of V-Diet and then crash and burn on my training.

Aside from that, I’m always up for a little fat loss. I find the leaner I get, the better my 3 mile run on my PFT. I’m down to 18:56 for 3 miles, but I’d really like to break that 18 minute mark and get a perfect 300 score before I ship out.

Dude, you’re reading way too much into this… let me give you some advice as a vet that’s done some pretty intense training… train, focus on training and just eat! if you’re training that often and have that low of a bodyfat, you’re probably always in a caloric deficit and doing something like the V-Diet would, in my opinion, make things worse.

If I were you, I’d eat my ass off… everything and anything and just focus on training… more than likely, all the extra calories will go toward recovery and you’ll find you’ll have more endurance. Focus on body composition and looking good when you’re a civilian.

…I’m around 10% body fat, or at least that’s what my scale tells me. [/quote]

I wouldn’t put much stock in that number from your scale. Those are notoriously inaccurate, in fact, I would go so far as to say that they are complete garbage.

If you really want to know within 3-4%, get a quality set of skin calipers.

[quote]Zach Gallmann wrote:
Dude, you’re reading way too much into this… let me give you some advice as a vet that’s done some pretty intense training… train, focus on training and just eat! if you’re training that often and have that low of a bodyfat, you’re probably always in a caloric deficit and doing something like the V-Diet would, in my opinion, make things worse.

If I were you, I’d eat my ass off… everything and anything and just focus on training… more than likely, all the extra calories will go toward recovery and you’ll find you’ll have more endurance. Focus on body composition and looking good when you’re a civilian.[/quote]

Roger that. I’m not terribly worried about the body fat as a number, I just figured leaning out would result in possibly a little better run time. But I get your point. With this much volume, a calorie deficit would probably screw things up for me. That’s the reason why I was going to lie to the calculator, so it would spit out a higher calorie diet.

But I agree with you, extra calories will definitely go towards recovery. It’s not like I’m gaining loads of fat with all the training I’m doing, and I’ve never heard of anyone gaining weight in BRC. I’d rather show up fit and ready to go than too lean and overtrained.

I just hate eating though… I wish I could take one pill a day and that was all the food I’d need. A diet with no cooking and just shakes seemed so damn convenient hahaha.

I just hate eating though… I wish I could take one pill a day and that was all the food I’d need. A diet with no cooking and just shakes seemed so damn convenient hahaha.[/quote]

Ha! Once you get out of BRC and if you decide you still have weight to lose, try the V-Diet. You may re-evaluate the above statement as you look forward to your weekly HSM.
Good luck to you.

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:

Ha! Once you get out of BRC and if you decide you still have weight to lose, try the V-Diet. You may re-evaluate the above statement as you look forward to your weekly HSM.
Good luck to you. [/quote]

Hahaha, yeah… People have warned me that after SERE school, I’ll be thankful for every bite of food I can get my hands on.