Biotest

V-Diet Training: Q & A

Use this thread for questions concerning Chad Waterbury’s Velocity Training program, which you can find <a href="http://www.T-Nation.com/programs/vdiet30/vDietProgram000.jsp"target=“new”>HERE in sections 5 and 6.

The videos and pics should cover most questions, so be sure to watch those too. And don’t forget to print out your free workout charts to take to the gym!

Any questions about the weight training, the V-Burn Challenge, or the NEPA, just hit “reply” below and ask away!

Earlier the workouts could be downloaded but this was taken down? Also the intermediate workout doesn’t have a ‘heavy’ day, contrary to the workout description on previous page…

There are only four exercises? I currently do around 16 exercises in the gym. Is more weight training discouraged? (I know, stick to the plan.)

My question is for people that are continuing to lose fat during the transition phase.

What is everyone doing for NEPA?

60 minutes every day?

60 minutes every other day?

30 minutes every day?

Anyone ditching NEPA sessions for HIIT sessions?

[quote]sgtgrim wrote:
Earlier the workouts could be downloaded but this was taken down? Also the intermediate workout doesn’t have a ‘heavy’ day, contrary to the workout description on previous page…[/quote]

1. The workouts can all be downloaded. Just click “Download Program” under “Training Progressions” in the video and workout section.

2. Our mistake, we’ll get that fixed. Intermediates train light and medium, so the program is correct; just that text on the previous page was in error. Thanks for the catch.

[quote]analogue wrote:
There are only four exercises? I currently do around 16 exercises in the gym. Is more weight training discouraged? (I know, stick to the plan.)

[/quote]

Do the program as written, just don’t forget to use the training progressions linked in the video and workout section and you’ll love the training. It’s enough training to get the job done given the strict diet it’s made for, and it’s brutally tough if you stick to the program and in particular the rest periods and tempo suggestions.

I put a few guys through the program last week and they all complained it “wasn’t enough” as they read it… until I stood there and enforced the tempos and rest periods. They all woke up the next morning and said they could hardly get out of bed.

[quote]analogue wrote:

[/quote]

Judging a workout by the number of exercises it has is like trying to determine the top speed of a car based on its paint color.

You’ve got to get behind the wheel and step on the gas.

The four different exercises I chose for each workout covers everything - trust me. Once you try the workouts, you’ll know what I mean.

I’ve been rotating through the old V-Diet workouts since about May of last year and have completed the V-Diet once and a modified version with one solid a day a second time. I have now dropped from 250lbs last May to 187 lbs yesterday. My goal is 175 by this May.

The biggest change I can see in the new workouts is the fact that the exercises are done in straight sets, rather than circuits. Am I interpreting this correctly, or are the exercises to be done in a circuit?

Also, I have become fond of planks, which I had never done before this program. The Ab wheel and hand walk outs seem to have replaced them in this version. Are they considered to be better for some reason?

Thanks for the great info.

I have not posted before, but I put a lot of the advice from this site to use and I really enjoy your supplements.

One Q for the diet menu:
The calculater only gives one meal plan, which day is that meal plan for, since you don’t eat the same amount of calories for workout and non-workout days?

Hello guys. What about adding corrective exercises such as the push-up plus, supine 1-arm dumbbell protraction and rope face pulls? Should I stop doing them while on the program? Thanks.

[quote]Braas wrote:
One Q for the diet menu:
The calculater only gives one meal plan, which day is that meal plan for, since you don’t eat the same amount of calories for workout and non-workout days?[/quote]

The only difference between workout day and non-workout day nutrition is the addition of Surge Recovery on lifting days.

So just to be 100% clear, the Intermediate plan should NOT have a heavy day, is that right? The .pdf file shows the Monday workouts as heavy days.

Also, the video for the Advanced workout shows what appears to be a regular deadlift for the Romanian deadlift. Probably not a big deal for advanced trainees who should know how to do a Romanian DL.

And I should note that I’m not trying to be an asshole here by pointing out mistakes. Just trying to help you guys fix the glitches now so you’re not bombarded with the same questions over and over.

For heavy training the weight estimate is 4-5RM. Is this a 4-5 reps without a decrease in speed or 4-5 all out reps? My concern is that I will be looking to do around 300 for close grip bench if I am doing all out reps and if you only get 30 seconds rest in between sets it could take me 10+ sets before I got 20 reps.

Maybe I just suck at quick recovery and this is what I need to do.

Thanks.

[quote]ajweins wrote:
For heavy training the weight estimate is 4-5RM. Is this a 4-5 reps without a decrease in speed or 4-5 all out reps? My concern is that I will be looking to do around 300 for close grip bench if I am doing all out reps and if you only get 30 seconds rest in between sets it could take me 10+ sets before I got 20 reps.

Thanks.[/quote]

You take as many sets as you need. In fact, if you click on the “Progressions” link, you’ll notice that the weight never changes but the rest periods get shorter each week. Chad even says that as the rest periods decrease you’ll probably need even more sets to complete the reps.

[quote]P-Ha wrote:
The biggest change I can see in the new workouts is the fact that the exercises are done in straight sets, rather than circuits. Am I interpreting this correctly, or are the exercises to be done in a circuit?[/quote]

I have the same concern. Are the Intermediate exercises performed in circuit or straight sets? Also, the Intermediate Workouts pdf. uses Heavy and Medium days. But you and Chad seem to be saying Intermediates should be Light and Medium. Please clarify ASAP.

Not to sound like a nagging B, but I start Sunday and I just spent the past two weeks honing in all my weights for the 2.0 Intermediate program (circuits). Thanks guys!

[quote]Kachok wrote:
Hello guys. What about adding corrective exercises such as the push-up plus, supine 1-arm dumbbell protraction and rope face pulls? Should I stop doing them while on the program? Thanks. [/quote]

You don’t need to stop doing corrective exercises. However, the V-burn challenge will correct many joint issues, and it’ll burn a bunch of fat.

[quote]ajweins wrote:

Thanks.[/quote]

For a heavy workout, start with a weight you could normally lift 4-5 times. From there, terminate each set when your speed slows down.

However - and this is important - your speed isn’t going to change much with heavy workouts. The speed cue is more for the medium and light days.

As long as your starting load is correct, and as long as you reach the recommended number of reps, you’ll get results. Don’t get too hung up on speed in this program.

[quote]jstirto wrote:
P-Ha wrote:
The biggest change I can see in the new workouts is the fact that the exercises are done in straight sets, rather than circuits. Am I interpreting this correctly, or are the exercises to be done in a circuit?

I have the same concern. Are the Intermediate exercises performed in circuit or straight sets? Also, the Intermediate Workouts pdf. uses Heavy and Medium days. But you and Chad seem to be saying Intermediates should be Light and Medium. Please clarify ASAP.

Not to sound like a nagging B, but I start Sunday and I just spent the past two weeks honing in all my weights for the 2.0 Intermediate program (circuits). Thanks guys! [/quote]

Perform the workouts with straight sets.

I typically favor circuits. However, many people can’t tie up multiple pieces of equipment in a commercial gym. Therefore, I made the workouts with straight sets (plus, it’s easier to learn my system that way).

So, I want to clear up the straight/circuit issue right here and now: you CAN do these workouts as circuits, if you prefer. However, I’m recommending straight sets to avoid the “I can’t do circuits in a commercial gym” comments that would’ve surely followed me around this thread had I written the original plan as a circuit.

The Intermediate phase should have heavy/medium/medium loads with respect to workouts 1, 2, and 3.

I’m female, 41 and (after a combination of lifting weights and hunching over a computer all day for the last 20+ years) am sporting more injuries than the average pro-wrestler.

I have aches and pains and grumbles in most of my joints but have two newish injuries I’m trying to rehab. One is my left shoulder (RC, subscap, with pain around the AC joint). I messed up my right shoulder in my 20s by too much benching and it now sounds like a bowl of rice krispies and has a limited ROM so I’m anxious the left shoulder doesn’t go the same way. As a result, I’m not doing overhead movements or benching, which rules out presses and pull-ups and dips. I can do rowing movements (I can go heavy on DB rows, and I also lock the Smith machine bar in place, park my feet on a bench and do inverted rows on that using my bodyweight) - can I sub these for the pull-ups?
Also, would like to know what I can do instead of shoulder press-based movements.

The other problem started as a pain in the ass - literally - which goes down into my left hamstring as well. My physio says it’s referred from my lower back and isn’t sciatica - yet - but could end up that way. So he’s told me not to deadlift (which sucks as I love to deadlift). Can I sub weighted hypers for these, or do you have any other suggestions?

Essentially I have all the typical computer geek problems - lack of thorassic mobility, forward rotated shoulders, lordosis and anterior pelvic tilt, tight psoas and glutes that don’t fire as well as they should. I’ve been working on these throughout Jan/Feb but frankly, I need to lose the fat now (I promised myself a six pack for my 42nd birthday in June, which will be some going as I’ve never seen it).

Cheers.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
So just to be 100% clear, the Intermediate plan should NOT have a heavy day, is that right? The .pdf file shows the Monday workouts as heavy days.

Also, the video for the Advanced workout shows what appears to be a regular deadlift for the Romanian deadlift. Probably not a big deal for advanced trainees who should know how to do a Romanian DL.

And I should note that I’m not trying to be an asshole here by pointing out mistakes. Just trying to help you guys fix the glitches now so you’re not bombarded with the same questions over and over.[/quote]

We’ll get this sorted out by Monday. Thanks.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.