Biotest

V-Diet Training and Meal Timing

Over the past 3 or so years I have dropped about 100lbs. Basically a learn as I go process. I Found this and though I would give it a try, thinking it will give me that extra push to reach sub 15% BF (about 19-20% BF now).

My question is one on training currently I am doing Kickboxing M,W,F usually at 5am followed by instructing the class at 6am. Some days it is the opposite. On T,TH,S I do resistance band training. Would this type training go well with the diet?

Second question would be on meal timing. Since my work outs are at 5am both cardio and resistance. What do you suggest for time of the first meal. currently I do am fasted cardio with my first meal 30 minutes after, and on resistance days I have a protein shave 45 min prior to work out with 1st meal 30 min after.

I would suggest some real weight training in there. Without it, you aren’t going to like what you see once you get down to a lower body fat percentage. Plus, you’ll boost your metabolism permanently by building muscle. Bands have their plan, but can’t replace heavy weights.

Fasted cardio leads to muscle loss in the long run, and the fat loss is not as fast as doing cardio in the post-absorptive state. I have an article coming out on that next week, but the short story is to have a serving of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>Mag-10 to speed fat loss and protect muscle during cardio or conditioning work.

The V-Diet may not be the best thing for you right now, but I’d be glad to help you put a plan together.

Sorry I forgot to add that I was planning on replacing Saturday band day with a Heavy 5 x 5 upper body dumbell day. (legs get a good work out M - F)

To add to your 2nd paragraph I do wake up at 4am I can always have my 1st meal everyday.

This is a sample of the diet I have been working with the past few week.

M1 Cucumber/Tomato Salad with olive oil and 1/3 cup almonds 1/2 protien shake w/ flax seed 20g Protein
M2 6.5oz chicken and 4oz salmon
M3 6.5 oz chicken 2 cups spinach 1 tbls olive oil
M4 4 sticks celery and 2 tbls natural peanut butter, Protien shake w/flax seed 40g protein
M5 1 cup egg whites 2 whole eggs. 2 tbls organinc Salsa

Not much variety but it works for me

I am open to ideas. I like my work out, but would like to adjust diet.

Although it’s a lot of work, kickboxing is not weight training and will not have the same effect. Permanent fat loss, and liking what you see in the mirror once the fat is gone, is more about building muscle than anything else. You current plan will build very little muscle and could slow your metabolism to a stop. Trust me, I’ve been there.

Losing 100 pounds is fantastic and applaud you for it. Now comes the hard decision: doing what you like or doing what’s going to give you the results you want. Right now, with very little resistance training and a very low carb diet, you risk gaining it all back or being stuck in a cycle where you can’t eat much or you’ll gain, even much healthy foods. Let’s think long term here.

Without more info, I can’t offer much more than general advice. (Right now I don’t know if you’re a 50 year old woman or a 20 year old guy, height, weight etc. and body fat measurements are meaningless and probably inaccurate.) With that said:

1. Weight train. At least 3 days per week.

2. Limit the cardio or adopt a conditioning plan like the one I’ll be posting next week. Some info here already: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_blog_hammer_velocity_shugart/running_makes_you_fat

3. Take <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g"target=“new”>Indigo-3G to repair the dysfunctional fat cells and nutrient uptake mechanisms.

4. Add some non-wheat carbs.

5. Stop doing fasted cardio or at least have a pulse of <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10"target=“new”>Mag-10 to speed fat loss and protect muscle.

Again, Sorry. I seem to be jumping the gun with out giving all the info.
5’10"

I am willing to change or even adapt. I enjoy the instructing protion of kickboxing more so than the actual workout, and as far as the instructing phase I would say it isnt much in terms of cardio. Mostly a 5 - 8 minutes warm up which is done a a group then I am mostly walking around and motivating.

I do how ever enjoy the kickboxing and think of it more as a sporting activity than an actual work out (somthing along the lines of an adult sports league).

I am more than willing to drop the band training and re-activate my gym membership. This will free up my T,TH,S for weight training.
I would like to continue some kickboxing even if it is in a limited capacity. I am open to ideas on this.

thanks,

Sure, you certainly don’t have to quit kickboxing. We just don’t want too much “cardio” like activity to interfere with muscle gains or bring down your metabolism. But as long as you’re not long-distance running every day, you should be fine.

I suggest a “conditioning” approach instead of cardio. I go over this at the bottom of the article linked above and will have a full plan coming out next week in our articles section. That type of “cardio” combined with a few days of weight training will do you a world of good. It keeps working where standard cardio stalls out. My article will be called Predator Conditioning and will run probably on Monday.

I do like very low carb diets for those who have tons of weight to lose, but you’ve lost most if it already, so it may be time to gently reintroduce some non-wheat carbs, like rice and sweet potato. You’ll “earn” these carbs with the weight training and they’ll allow you to build muscle, which is pretty hard to do with very low carbs. If you choose to try Indigo-3G, one of the things it does it repartition carbs toward muscle instead of fat storage. I myself could not eat many carbs until I did a full cycle of Indigo. Now I can eat hundreds and stay lean. I think being very overweight in the past had jacked up my fat cells and the way my body handled nutrients. Indigo fixes that. Something to consider.

Got it so here is my plan.

Continue the group fitness instructing (M,W,F) as well as attend the class maybe twice (M,F) a week and ramp down the intensity. Keep it to more of a physical activity and not cardio (if that makes sense).

Drop Bands and get back to the Iron.

Stick with my food choices but make these changes:

M1 Protien shake w/flax seed 40g protein - here is where I will add Carb Apple - 4am
5am work out or Instruction - ALL Work Out will be at this time
M2 Cucumber/Tomato Salad with olive oil and 1/3 cup almonds - 7am
M3 6.5oz chicken and 4oz salmon - Maybe small portion of rice here - 11am
M4 6.5 oz chicken 2 cups spinach 1 tbls olive oil - 2pm
SNACK 4 sticks celery and 2 tbls natural peanut butter, 1/2 protien shake w/ flax seed 20g Protein - 430pm
M5 1 cup egg whites 2 whole eggs. 2 tbls organinc Salsa - 630pm

I will give the Indigo a shot. Making these changes how do I fit with the V-Diet or should I ride this a bit and see how it goes.

I would hold off on the V-Diet. You were already on a lower carb diet with lower calories, and you’d already lost a lot of weight, so the V-Diet may not have been the best choice. Indigo-3G should be just what you need at this stage. Keep us posted.