Biotest

V-Diet/Tough Mudder Questions

Hey, Chris!

I’m doing a two week transition V-Diet before Tough Mudder on the 29th. Shakes during the day and an HSM for dinner. There will be some days where I am working out twice. So, a few of questions:

1. If I do two workouts in one day (running or swimming in the morning and weights at night), would you recommend using Surge after both workouts or would that be too much?

2. On the two days before the race, what kind of exercise would you recommend (if any) to avoid over-training or injury but still stay active?

3. Should I modify the diet in any way the day before or day of the competition (more carbs, solid meals, etc.)?

Thanks!

1. Don’t use Surge unless it’s after weight training. If you feel you need the extra fuel for cardio/conditioning work, focus instead of pre-activity nutrition: Surge Workout Fuel or FINiBAR should do the trick.

2. Endurance athletes start tapering off of training a week or two before their event, but that’s long distance stuff, full marathons. That won’t be needed for a 7-10 mile Mudder. Maybe lighter, shorter workouts starting 5-6 days out, then you could even take off the day or two before, making sure you’re recovered and ready to rock.

3. You can adjust as needed using the HSM to add calories or carbs if needed. Most people don’t need the amount of carbs they think they do, but that said, you don’t want to be in ketosis either! If needed, fuel up for the race or hard training sessions with Workout Fuel or FINiBAR. I’m pretty partial to the bars myself. Start with a half and see how you feel and perform. And a full for sure before the race. If needed, see what 150g of good carbs a day feels like, then adjust from there.

Thanks, Chris!

Regarding the Surge Workout Fuel and FINiBARs; how soon before exercise and before the race would you recommend eating this?

[quote]iamthesamurai wrote:
Regarding the Surge Workout Fuel and FINiBARs; how soon before exercise and before the race would you recommend eating this?[/quote]

FINiBAR: It’s usually 45 minutes or so before training. For an endurance event, about an hour pre-race, with plenty of water, would be perfect.

SWF: Assuming you won’t be able to drink it during the event, I’d consume half 20 minutes before, then kill the rest after.

If I could choose just one of these, I’d go with FINiBAR.

Thanks, Chris! Ordered the FINiBARs.

Along the endurance question string, I have a few more…

1. After long runs 7+ miles, I have been consuming Surge Recovery…no real reason other than repairing the damage in my legs, etc…and it tastes good.

2. I am looking to stay lean and attempt a strict regime while still maintaining muscularity, I like the thought of the pulse feast…is this appropriate for someone like me who is running 30+ miles a week and doing light lifting (body weight, trx, kettlebell) workouts?

3. Love the FINIBARS and have used them both pre and post long runs 10+ mile runs.

Thanks.

Adam

[quote]adamtowle wrote:
Along the endurance question string, I have a few more…

1. After long runs 7+ miles, I have been consuming Surge Recovery…no real reason other than repairing the damage in my legs, etc…and it tastes good.

2. I am looking to stay lean and attempt a strict regime while still maintaining muscularity, I like the thought of the pulse feast…is this appropriate for someone like me who is running 30+ miles a week and doing light lifting (body weight, trx, kettlebell) workouts?

3. Love the FINIBARS and have used them both pre and post long runs 10+ mile runs.

Thanks.

Adam[/quote]

1. I would not use Surge Recovery after runs. It’s for weight-training only. The FINiBARS are really all you need there, but you could add a hit of MAG-10 pre and/or post-run to ensure muscle preservation.

2. That may be a better question for Christian Thibaudeau. Personally, I only feel justified “feasting” if I’ve seriously broken down some muscle that day with weights. The Pulse Feast may not be the best plan for someone who’s primarily an endurance athlete right now.