Biotest

V-Diet: Too Much Fun to Only Do One

Second go round with this methodical madness. First had some excellent results (found here: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/rugby_offseason_vdiet). That was enormously successful and I expect nothing less this go round as well.

Workouts this time may be a little more strenuous as I am working to make weight for a strength competition and this most definitely the best way to do it fast. Without this, I would make an attempt at pulling out water the week before but i’m not a huge fan of big water weight swings when I have to be useful and coordinated. Plus I feel more athletic and coordinated around that 195-200 area so it’s a no-brainer for me. I’m also using this as a test to see how effective I am at retaining strength and athleticism while cutting weight, as this could be my go-to plan for making weight going forward.

Disclaimer: I’m following the dirt to a T, but I’m not using Chad’s workout template at all. I know this may set me up for failure (I realize i’m taking my life/diet success into my own hands here) but my training needs to be a little more specialized for the Olympic lifts and some strongman work.

Last time I used this for some random thoughts and I’d expect nothing less. Probably some mindless rambling too. Good times!

Let’s grip it and rip it.

You’re one sick, sick individual for doing this again! (even though I plan on doing this once a year)

Good luck!

Day 0-1
Weight: 222.6

No worries on Day 1. Took a nice long walk in the snow/rain at 5am with my HRX. They don;t affect me as much as they did last time. Before I would get sweaty, today was no worries. One thing: the only time I felt really charged up was when I pulled a raspberry burp up. Body perked up, like it was saying “Ohhhhh I remember this game!”

I have to say that i’m giddy about things like this. These little tests of ourselves; I absolutely get off on them. It may be that I like exercising my discipline or maybe, in a twisted way, it gives me a feeling of superiority. I know that sounds shitty. but hear me out. I think everyone has that moment on the diet where someone says something shitty about it and then stuffs a doughnut into their face and you just think “That’s right, eat that fucking doughnut. Have two. I’ll bet it’s delicious”

Maybe i’m being an asshole here. It’s almost like “You criticized my diet and I feel vindicated watching you slob down that McDonalds because you’re loving every second of it.”

Found myself chewing on my flaxmeal shakes. Went back through my last VDiet and saw that I really missed masticating so not too surprising. If I can find some zero cal gum, I may invest in a little. Also snatched up plenty of mouthwash as I remember my mouth tasted like death about 90% of the time.

Heading in tomorrow AM for a sledgehammer warmup, snatch workout, maybe stone and sandbag loading and then treadmill it a bit. Will get a long walk in the afternoon as well and then most likely having an events day on Sunday. All sounds well and good here on Day 1, doesn’t it? Everything is sunshine and puppydogs on day 1! :wink:

Always be a work in progress…

[quote]jo3 wrote:
You’re one sick, sick individual for doing this again! (even though I plan on doing this once a year)

Good luck![/quote]

I’m sicker then most but not as sick as some brother! I’ll get some pics, vids and workouts up as I get into it so it’s a little informative…plus it gives people a chance to point and laugh! Thanks for checking in!

Im pointing and laughing already just at your posts. Thanks for some great introductory laughs sledge2.

Welcome back to the V-Diet. Methodical madness is probably the best description I’ve heard.

Looking forward to your thread :wink:

Lisa

Good luck! I finished two back to back V-Diets, lost a total of 35 pounds, it can be done!!

[quote]inkaddict wrote:
Good luck! I finished two back to back V-Diets, lost a total of 35 pounds, it can be done!![/quote]

And I thought I was the one with issues! :wink:

[quote]austin2174 wrote:
Im pointing and laughing already just at your posts. Thanks for some great introductory laughs sledge2.

Welcome back to the Vdiet. Methodical madness is probably the best description I’ve heard.

Looking forward to your thread :wink:

Lisa[/quote]

Fair warning; sarcasm, self-deprecation and random references usually runs wild like Hulkamania in my writing; really any form of my communication for that matter.

Oh it is most assuredly madness and it is NOT Sparta. But it also caters to that little spot inside us that throws moderation out the window in favor of doing something completely shithouse crazy. Moderation is a fine thing…in moderation. I’m also of the opinion that there are times when moderation has to get thrown out the window; typically when it involves doing exceptional things.

If you’re pointing and laughing now, just wait til I get some pictures posted.

Very cool. I’m a little less of a “stick-to-da-plan Nazi” for second time V-Dieters. They’ve earned the right to experiment a little. So keep us posted on the new workouts. I’d be interested in hearing those results.

One thing: on training days, I move the second serving of Superfood to my Surge rather than a regular shake. I’ve done that essentially since it was introduced and I believe very much in the power of nutrient timing. I noticed my recovery is better (resting HR morning after training sessions returned to normal noticeably faster) with Superfood in my diet. No idea on the biological mechanics but I see tangible results so I go with it. Just my two cents.

Always be a work in progress

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Very cool. I’m a little less of a “stick-to-da-plan Nazi” for second time V-Dieters. They’ve earned the right to experiment a little. So keep us posted on the new workouts. I’d be interested in hearing those results. [/quote]

Thanks Chris. I agree 110% on “stick to the plan, dummy” for the first go round, because you have no clue what’s going on, how your body will react, etc. I sure as hell wouldn’t program full snatches and stone loading for this diet.

I don’t know if i’ve “earned” much of anything here brotha, but it’s probably that insecurity that keeps me grinding away, ya know? Also was a fat kid; mid 40’s waist from 10-15 til I found rugby, football and some self esteem in high school and unloaded a stepfather who was…shall we say “less than supportive.”

I’m really curious to see if the strength holds up; my guess is i’ll have to scale volume down a little on the compound lifts but i’m not sure; held up reasonable well last time. I was also WAY weaker during the last diet so the difference in poundages may kick my balls. I track HR when I first wake to gauge preparedness and i’ll post that to see how we roll.

I’ve tried that pencil tapping test as well for CNS activity but all I learned is that my fine motor skills suck ALL the time, not just the morning after a tough workout.

Chris got me thinking a bit about differences this time vs. V-Diet numero uno.

On paper, “life” stressors should be lower. Last time, I was in my last month of finishing my MBA, looking for work and sweating a return to the “real world”. I gave all my last presentations and wrote all my papers fueled completely on Metabolic Drive!

Now: I have a job in the mutual fund industry. No, we aren’t going under and no we didn’t get bailout funds. I sit in an office all day. Its a pro and a con; when i was a student, I could snooze, bolt for a walk, whatever. Now I have a set schedule (probably blessing in disguise). PLUS, I work on the 11th floor of my building so I use those stairs a minimum of twice a day in addition to my walks. Can’t be a bad thing for NEPA.

Also much different training prog this time AND i’m significantly stronger this go-round.

Oh and I forgot to mention before: my secret weapon for this diet.

Flintstones Gummi Vitamins. Only 10 extra cals per day. Any good trader knows how to hedge their bets.

“10 Million (and 1) strong…and growing”

Hope this works:

Another Day Zero Pic

Yet Another

Last one I promise. I tried not to push my gut out as far as it could go in these before pics; I just took a deep breath and exhaled to relax. I carry about all of my fat in my handles and my ass (not pictured; trying to keep it family friendly).

Last one I promise. I tried not to push my gut out as far as I could for my before photos; I took a deep breath and exhaled to relax. I carry all my weight in my handles and my ass (not pictured; trying to stay moderately family friendly here).

[quote]sledge2 wrote:
Fair warning; sarcasm, self-deprecation and random references usually runs wild like Hulkamania in my writing; really any form of my communication for that matter.

Oh it is most assuredly madness and it is NOT Sparta. But it also caters to that little spot inside us that throws moderation out the window in favor of doing something completely shithouse crazy. Moderation is a fine thing…in moderation. I’m also of the opinion that there are times when moderation has to get thrown out the window; typically when it involves doing exceptional things.
[/quote]

You understand me! (Well, that may be going a little too far.) At least your thoughts come out somewhat coherent; my stuff is just endless babble. But it serves its purpose, I suppose.

You are an insane beast for doing this thing again. But you already know that.

Best wishes to your success!

I am so not pointing and laughing at your pictures! You’re starting out pictures already show that with just the month on the V-Diet you will be beautiful! And I mean that in the most masculine way possible.

Because…!

If I didnt know better…I’d swear those are pics of my husband! Judging by your pictures, you look just like my husband right now. You are the second person to look like this, and Im for damn sure going to come here all the time (not that Im not here all the time anyway but you know what I mean!) and see your progress pics so I can now have TWO solid showstopping progression slides for him to do the vdiet (He wants to…thinking about it…just needs some extra convincing).

You’re already rockstar. Looking forward to this.

[quote]sledge2 wrote:
One thing: on training days, I move the second serving of Superfood to my Surge rather than a regular shake. I’ve done that essentially since it was introduced and I believe very much in the power of nutrient timing. I noticed my recovery is better (resting HR morning after training sessions returned to normal noticeably faster) with Superfood in my diet. No idea on the biological mechanics but I see tangible results so I go with it. Just my two cents.

Always be a work in progress [/quote]

I’m gonna have to try this sometimes. How does the Superfood affect the taste of the Surge? Surge is like the peanut butter in this diet… it keeps me going. If the Superfood compromises the taste (like I feel it does in the shakes), then I don’t know if I’ll be up for it!