Biotest

V-Diet Thoughts & Progress

I just finished week 4 and thought I would share my thoughts and progress. I didn’t measure and I didn’t take pictures. I was more concerned with doing this diet for health reasons as opposed to looks. Here is how the progress went:

• White male, age 37, muscular (but carrying a lot more
    fat than I thought!)
  • Day 1 - Starting weight - 230.0
  • End of week 1 - 222.0
  • End of week 2 - 219.0
  • End of week 3 - 215.5
  • End of week 4 - 213.0
  • Total lost to date - 17 lbs.

The weight for the final week might be skewed. I had tacos for dinner last night and the sodium content was pretty high. We use reduced sodium seasoning, but still… We used low-carb, high-fiber shells and 96% lean ground beef.

Throw in some toppings (fat free sour cream, avocado, lettuce, onion, tomato, sprinkle of shredded cheese, salsa, etc.) and I’m sure I exceeded my 300 calorie allotment after eating 2. What can you do? I’ve struggled keeping my portions down with the HSMs.

I don’t worry about it too much, though, as it mostly involves some type of lean meat and lots of veggies and salad.

I must say that I’m happy with the results. I also monitored body fat, but I used a hand-held Omron and I don’t think it was overly accurate, so I’ll not post those stats. According to the monitor, I finished the end of week 4 at 15.8%. All that mattered to me was that the body fat percentage was going down each week.

My goal for this diet cycle is to get to 12% or less. I’m starting the transition period, so I have two weeks left on the V-Diet. After that, I have 6 weeks allocated for an additional diet. What would be the best diet to use at this point to continue the weight loss? After that (total of 12 weeks), I plan to maintain for a couple months and then ultimately get my body fat percentage down to the 8-10% range.

Here is what I liked about the diet:

• This diet is dirt simple. Meals are simple. Planning is simple.
  • I love the walks. I do 2 mi. before breakfast and 2 more after dinner.
  • I have no desire to eat sweets.

Here is what I didn’t like:

• It’s tough. I’m not gonna lie.
  • Psyllium husks are nasty tasting.

Here are some random thoughts about it:

• Get a good pair of shoes. Before this diet I refused to pay more than $30 for a pair of shoes. Well, I spent the whole first week with blisters on my feet. The following weekend I went shoe-shopping and got a $60 pair of Adidas. What a difference!

• I used IronTek protein as I don’t use protein powders that are made with artificial sweetener.

• I don’t do caffeine due to health issues, so I didn’t take any additional fat burners.

• I did take CLA.

• I also got a high-quality multivitamin because I was worried about getting proper nourishment.

• My dog is going to be glad when all the walking is over.

In order to keep the walks going, I’m going to continue having shakes for breakfast during the two weeks of transitions. This week I’m eating dinners. Next week I’ll be eating lunch too. I can have a tuna salad sandwich for lunch that is 300 calories:

• 1 can tuna
  • 2 tbs lite mayo
  • 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
  • 1/8 cup copped onion
  • Some garlic powder
  • Some dill
  • Lettuce (or spinach) and tomato piled on top
  • 2 slices Nature’s Own Whole Wheat bread (50 cals / slice)

I hope this information helps out some folks who have just started or are on the fence with this diet. Based on my experience I would recommend it.

-rickyb

Hey Rickyb! NICE JOB! 17 lbs in 4 weeks is awesome! Keep posting during your Transition…I’ve just started my Transition Phase, and I’m more curious than ever to see how others progess…

And as far as I’m concerned, the hand-held Omron is fine if that’s what you’re using every week…I did, too, with some reservations, but the number steadily went down thru Phase I…it’s probably not balls-on accurate, but it was a good progress indicator in general!

Way to go!

Well, I didn’t get to weigh in on Monday as I took the family sightseeing in DC. Luckily I’m in the second transition week and can do two solid meals a day. That helped immensely when traveling.

Anyhow, I weighed in on Tuesday of this week (normally do so on Monday). My weight remained the same as last week at 213. I started to get disappointed. Then I went and took my body fat measurement–it was down 0.6% to 15.2%! To me this just shows the importance of not relying only on the scale.

As I’ve said before, I’m not sure about the accuracy of the hand-held fat-loss monitor. At least it is showing a decline which is good. I can see my abs and I think I read somewhere on this site that you had to have pretty low bf for that.

When I’m not training, the veins in my delts, bis, back, and legs (esp. calves) are visible. When I’m in the gym they are busting out! I’ve NEVER had vascularity like this!!

I am COMPLETELY satisfied with this diet. Thank you, Chris, for designing it so well and making it such a no-brainer to follow.

Just came back from the gym. It was the end of week 6 (transition week #2). My weight is 210 and my body fat below 15%. All told I’ve lost exactly 20 lbs. in 6 weeks. Amazing!

This is just a post-V-Diet update for those interested. This was my first week after the V-Diet. I weighed in as usual today and was 1/2 pound heavier (210.5). A check of bf showed that it was down (14.6%)! That means that I actually gained muscle while losing fat. I didn’t think that was possible, but as the saying goes “now I’m a believer.”

As for how I’m eating, I chose an eating plan based on the parameters outlined in Thib’s Carb Cycling Codex. I’m working out @ 9:15 AM on a Monday-Thursday/Tuesday-Friday split. Workouts are just under an hour long. On those days I’m walking 4 miles a day (2 before breakfast & 2 after dinner). On the off days (Sun, Wed, Sat) I’m walking 6 miles a day (3/3).

I had planned on doing the V-Diet again next year around May/June, but if things work out with my body composition (as it seems it is) I may not have to.

Again my thanks goes out to all of you on this site who contribute such quality information to the rest of us. Keep up the great work!