Biotest

V-Diet Starts Today! 39 YO Out of Shape Guy

Saw this great article regarding protein intake and muscle sparing. Figured I would post it here for all to read.

The Real Truth about Protein and Weight Loss

With books like The Dukan Diet and The Paleo Diet riding high in the charts, the subject of protein and weight loss has hit the headlines once again.

There’s no other nutrient that seems to inspire as much debate as protein. Bodybuilders, figure competitors and fitness models claim that extra protein over and above the RDA (Recommended Daily Amount) is essential to help preserve muscle mass during weight loss.

The argument from many nutritionists is that the RDA provides enough protein to meet the needs of most people. They say that extra protein is unnecessary and simply puts an extra burden on the kidneys.

Does protein help weight loss? How much protein should you be eating? And how does exercise influence your protein needs?

Despite the controversy, thereâ??s a growing body of research to show that a protein-rich diet is the diet of choice for anyone who wants to lose weight without losing muscle tissue.

Some very interesting research in this area comes from a group led by Dr. Donald Layman, professor of food science and human nutrition at the University of Illinois. Laymanâ??s work shows the value of dietary protein for muscle preservation during a period of weight loss.

In a trial carried in the Journal of Nutrition, Laymanâ??s research team assigned a group of overweight women to one of two diets for 10 weeks [1].

The first group consumed a low-protein diet (68 grams of protein per day, or 16% of total calories).

Group two followed a moderate-protein diet (125 grams of protein per day, or 30% of total calories).

Both diets provided similar levels of both calories (1700 calories) and fat (50 grams per day).

The low-protein diet was representative of typical dietary recommendations for weight loss, with around 60% of total calories derived from carbohydrate, 15% from protein and 25% from fat.

After following the diets for 10 weeks, the low-protein group lost 15 pounds in weight, while the moderate-protein group lost an average of 17 pounds.

So, while the moderate-protein group did lose slightly more weight, this difference wasnâ??t statistically significant.

These results wonâ??t come as any great surprise to most readers â?? when people are fed the same number of calories under controlled conditions, they tend to lose about the same amount of weight once early fluid losses have been taken into account.

But if both groups lost the same amount of weight, how did the extra protein help weight loss?

There’s a big difference between weight loss and fat loss. When body composition was measured using dual X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), a relatively accurate way to track changes in body composition, women in the moderate-protein group lost an average of 12 pounds of fat, compared with 10 pounds of fat in the low-protein group.

More interesting still, the loss of muscle was around 30% greater for women in the low-protein group compared with those in the moderate-protein group.

In other words, increasing daily protein intake from 68 to 125 grams per day with a reduction in carbohydrate intake led to a 20% greater rate of fat loss and an increase in the preservation of lean muscle.

When changes in body composition were expressed as a ratio of fat/lean loss (shown below), the higher protein diet partitioned a significantly greater percentage of the weight loss to body fat while sparing lean tissue.

I should point out that the women taking part in the study were not following a structured exercise program. What happens when exercise is included?

Is the effect of protein on muscle preservation during weight loss amplified with the addition of resistance exercise? Or does resistance exercise reduce the need for extra protein?

A follow-up study, again led by Professor Layman, gives us some answers [2].

In the study, researchers compared the effects of a moderate-protein diet against a low-protein diet, but this time it was combined with exercise. Both diets contained 1,700 calories, 30% of calories from fat, and about 17 grams of fiber.

However, women on the moderate-protein diet replaced foods high in carbohydrate (e.g. breads, rice, cereal, pasta, and potatoes) with protein-rich foods (e.g. meats, dairy, eggs, and nuts) to get about 30% of their total calories from protein (1.6 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight).

Women on the high-carbohydrate diet ate about half that amount of protein (0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight) and got about 60% of their daily calories from carbohydrate.

The women were then split into two further exercise groups. Exercise in group one involved voluntary “light walking activity.” Women in this group averaged about 100 minutes per week of added exercise.

While group two walked a minimum of five days per week, they also did resistance exercise (30 minutes of weight training) twice weekly. The exercise was supervised and averaged 200 minutes or more each week.

After four months, both groups of dieters lost weight. Not surprisingly, body composition tests (DEXA) show that women who did resistance exercise lost less muscle and more fat.

High-protein dieters who did resistance exercise group lost an average of 22 pounds and less than one pound of muscle.

High-carbohydrate dieters who also did resistance exercise group lost an average of 15 pounds. But they also lost over 2 pounds of muscle.

In other words, nearly 100% of the weight lost in the moderate-protein group was fat, with virtually no loss of muscle. However, only 85% of the weight lost in the low-protein group came from fat with around 15% coming from muscle.

What about the group who only did the walking?

The high-protein dieters in this group lost an average of 19 pounds. However, over 4 pounds came from muscle. The high-carbohydrate group lost 17 pounds, but nearly 6 pounds came from muscle.

“Both diets work because, when you restrict calories, you lose weight. But the people on the higher-protein diet lost more weight,” says Professor Layman.

“There’s an additive, interactive effect when a protein-rich diet is combined with exercise. The two work together to correct body composition; dieters lose more weight, and they lose fat, not muscle.”

In other words, it was the combination of protein, cardiovascular and resistance exercise that provided the greatest benefits in terms of fat loss.

As well as helping to preserve muscle, protein plays another important role during weight loss.

Studies show that protein does a better job at filling you up than carbohydrate or fat. Eat a protein-rich breakfast, for example, and chances are that you won’t eat as much food for lunch.

The figure below is from a University of Washington study where dieters were told to eat roughly twice as much protein as normal [3]. The circles at the top represent daily calorie intake, while the diamonds at the bottom represent body weight.

As you can see, eating more protein led to a spontaneous reduction in calorie intake that lasted for the length of the study. In fact, calorie intake dropped by an average of 441 calories per day.

After 12 weeks, the test subjects had lost about 5 kilograms (12 pounds). Considering they did no exercise, losing an average of 1 pound per week is a decent result.

So how much protein should you eat each day if you want to hold on to the muscle you have?

Most recommendations for protein intake are based on body weight, such as the popular recommendation to eat one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

But for someone who is very overweight, this method drastically overestimates their protein requirements.

Let’s say you have an obese man who weighs 300 pounds. Do you still give him one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight?

This comes to 300 grams of protein per day, an amount that’s far more than he actually needs and a level that’s going to be very difficult to reach without spending all day in the kitchen.

Instead, I recommend that you aim for 1 gram of protein for every pound of your TARGET body weight. In other words, if you want to weigh 170 pounds, you’ll eat 170 grams of protein per day.

If you’re someone who is already relatively lean (less than 14% body fat) and you want to get VERY lean (less than 10% body fat), you may need a little more protein. In this case, somewhere in the region of 1.25 grams per pound of your target bodyweight is about right.

Day 4 of Vdiet complete.

Yesterday’s thoughts

Super gassy! OMG. Not only that, they were toxic. Like make your eyes tear levels of toxic. Made for an interesting trip with the guys in the car on the way to a client site LOL.

Didnt get to do any NEPA yesterday as I got home really late and passed out. Kept the diet clean and even went to a pizza place with the wife and kids for dinner and I had … A DIET COKE! Went home and popped my shake.

Sure willpower!

Thinking of having my first HSM on sunday evening. Maybe a nice juicy steak and some broccoli…

Today I will be doing the Friday workout followed up by some NEPA on the elliptical.

Man this forum has lots of issues. Really buggy. Made a post still dont see it. Checking to see if this post makes it appear. :slight_smile:

Very impressed with your willpower! Not eating the pizza? You are the MAN.

Two thumbs up for you!

Thanks! It wasnt too bad actually. Smelled delicious though but got to keep my eye on the prize. 170 lbs and a beach ready body.

Goal is to blast away 30 lbs then focus on a recomp for several months to get really solid.

Day 5

Thoughts. No energy today… Feel absolutely exhausted. Maybe the low carb is getting to me?

Weight today same as yesterday. Maybe Ill have a nice woosh tomorrow! Sub 190 here I come! Maybe by Monday? Would be nice and the first time in the 180s in over a decade!

The low energy day can be tough. If you can take a 30 min catnap. Sometimes thats just the thing to let the body even out a little energy reserves…

… or pop another HOT-ROX, a little caffeine, jumping on a mini-tramp, jumprope, a brisk walk, a cold shower, movement of any kind, sometimes just splashing some cold water on your face will do it. You may have a day or 2 like that. Don’t let it stop you.

Day 6

Had my first HSM last night after feeling like a zombie all day yesterday. Feel 10x better. I actually felt better right away after eating. Brain fog gone!

Meal was some steak and rice. Had a weight watchers ice cream for dessert (100 cals). Meal was around 700 cals total.

Back to the Shakes starting this morning.

Ill try some of the tips mentioned above next time. Didnt see them.

I wasnt even hungry which prompted the HSM. Just completely out of it.

A side of eat a solid meal after 5 days of liquids. BAD HICCUPS! Took a good hour for them to go away.

Good to see your keeping up, for the hsm try to have less carbs and more veggies, drop the rice and stack up on fibrous veggies, will leave feeling fuller plus you don’t need the carbs from the rice. Apart from that good going so far!

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
Good to see your keeping up, for the hsm try to have less carbs and more veggies, drop the rice and stack up on fibrous veggies, will leave feeling fuller plus you don’t need the carbs from the rice. Apart from that good going so far![/quote]

Yep will do. I wasnt having hunger issues at all. It was brain fog and no energy. Like a zombie. I was completely out of it yesterday. Guess I was in a state of ketosis heh.

Its difficult to function that way for me since I spend all day trying to use my noggin to figure out technical issues (work in IT). Hopefully things improve the next time around.

Just finished my workout this morning and had a morning shake.

Time to blast past the 190 mark! 180 here I come!

I Know what you mean about feeling foggy. Low-Carb diets are notorious for creating that zombie feeling. Marzouk is righ though about the rice. Not because it is a carb, but because it is a fast carb. Rice, Potatoes, breads, etc = BAD carbs. When you get that HSM, man LOAD up on carbs, but getthe slow digest ones Broccoli, String Beans, Lettuce, get all the greens you can. PLUS they using bring some good amounts of Fiber to the game too!

I work IT also, Information Assurance, lots of documentation and policy dev… Need to be able to focus on many different things throughout the day. Funny thing is, that usually means a LOT of sitting on my ass too! I spend alot of time on the phone, I actually have/am considering putting a treadmill next to my desk, so I can walk AND talk!

BTW! Keep up the good fight, looks like you are moving along well also!

Day 7

Wow cant believe its been almost a week already. Goes fast!

Going to do the first V challenge workout today. After this shake digests.

Finished up the V Challenge workout. Have to say it is much harder than it looks. When I read the workout, I was like ok this is going to be cake! Laff! That worked kicked my arse!

Took me around 30 mins to complete it. I say I did around 80% of it in total. Next week Ill try to do it with better form and complete more of the workout.

GFA! Where ya at? no posts in 4 days…

I hope he hasnt fallen off the wagon…

Hey guys still here. Been really busy at work. I havent fallen off the diet wagon but have changed back to a normal cal deficit diet with 2 shakes a day instead of shake only.

I dont have any pressing reasons to drop weight quickly but really my goals are longer term to be in shape by the summer so 1-2 lbs a week is sufficient.

Still checking in to see how others are doing but its not for me at this time. I didnt have any energy to do things like lift or run so I need to EAT!!! :slight_smile:

So my diet is morning and post WO shake and 2 solid meals. <2k cals a day and 3 day split with 3/4 days of cardio.

Well, there are those who might say… well that isn’t the diet… Well I SAY, if it works for you, then it is the best. Take those lessons learned and move forward. Personally, I plan on doing 1 / 2 shakes meal replacements, maybe permently. I certyainly see no reason I couldn’t do a year of breackfast / Lunch shake and a good meal and movie snack (Airpopped popcorn) and stay in graet shape and not get bored. In fact it does not have to be a routine… just has to be acceptable normal to you, and just do it. I’ll probly get back to adding blue berries and Strawberries to my shakes, etc.

Hope you stay with us and share your progress.

Ya its not the V-Diet anymore, just a normal diet with cal restriction. No real rush on dropping the weight and I was really out of it mentally so Ill take the slower path instead.

Chest is really sore today did a good chest/tri workout yesterday. Today I plan on doing back/biceps.

Cant wait till the weather is nicer then I can start running!

Yeah, I have never been a “runner” persay, but the only time i have dropped serious weight was when I ran 4 times a week. (I did about 5k a day 4 x a week and that dropped serious weight. But I was a slow starter. I’s started with a 5 min jog, and simply added 1 min each time I went out.