Biotest

V-Diet in Iraq

Wrapping up another day…

After not taking the HRX yesterday, I slept fine. I took two HRX this morning and none this afternoon so we’ll see how that works with the sleep.

The workout kicked my ass today…I collapsed on the mat when I was done…but those are the kind of workouts I love. The deadlifts were particularly dizzying being so low cal/low carb.

Got my first V-Burn tomorrow. I haven’t be doing any type of conditioning work the past couple of months so this will definitely be a puke session…can’t wait!

Just finished my PB shake…

…and Day 5 is history.

Props to you man. You are starting strong in an shitty environment. Prop’s to you my friend.

HRX the very first time I took it had me up all night and it does raise my temperature, but you will get immune to it after a while. I will be jacked up tomorrow when I start my own V-Diet but by day 2 I will be fine. But I’ve been taking the stuff for years.

[quote]Bartl wrote:
Props to you man. You are starting strong in an shitty environment. Prop’s to you my friend.

HRX the very first time I took it had me up all night and it does raise my temperature, but you will get immune to it after a while. I will be jacked up tomorrow when I start my own V-Diet but by day 2 I will be fine. But I’ve been taking the stuff for years.[/quote]

Thanks, Bartl. I read your first log a couple of months ago. And now I’m following your recent one…keep it up!

Brother Cleary you’re obviously a good man. we appreciate what you are doing, and I don’t mean on the diet. But the diet log is cool too. I agree with what Chris said, how we complain about life and can’t do this or that in our cushy environment. We can be sad. Do you happen to have a Paul Cleary as a relative in Illinois? A trainer for Chrysler? Retired military man?

Keep on with the plan, sounds like you got it down pat and I have no doubt you are very disciplined and motivated. Kudos to you!!

[quote]69GoatMan wrote:
Brother Cleary you’re obviously a good man. we appreciate what you are doing, and I don’t mean on the diet. But the diet log is cool too. I agree with what Chris said, how we complain about life and can’t do this or that in our cushy environment. We can be sad. Do you happen to have a Paul Cleary as a relative in Illinois? A trainer for Chrysler? Retired military man?

Keep on with the plan, sounds like you got it down pat and I have no doubt you are very disciplined and motivated. Kudos to you!![/quote]

Thanks, 69GoatMan. Nope, my particular clan hail from New England…here’s the family business.

clearycleaners.com

Forgot to post Day 6 yesterday…

Today was my first V-Burn challenge…it smoked my ass! As I suspected, my lack of conditioning work over the past couple of months was felt. I was able to do all reps and all sets with no breaks between sets, though, albeit with longer rest breaks between circuits than what the plan calls for. I rested for 2 minutes between each circuit seeing stars. So my goal is to decrease the break time between circuits each week.

Day 6 is history…looking forward to my first HSM tomorrow.

And Day 7 begins…

I woke up this morning and weighed myself…167.5. So that’s down a few pounds from 172…no visible effects however, particularly in the area I’m looking to decrease…the gut-lovehandle-lower back region. I measured that area to see if the tape showed any improvement, no change. I suspect that 4.5lbs is from the decrease of water and glycogen, and not fat…so I guess it makes sense that it doesn’t correlate to the tape.

I don’t feel like I should be disappointed…it’s only 7 days so far. But in a way I kind of am because I’ve seen some people post up 7 day pics and I was like, “Holy shit! They did that in 7 days!” So I was hoping I would have similar results. Oh well…I’ll soldier on.

Get to look forward to my HSM in about an hour. I don’t know what will be on the healthy bar at the DFAC today…something good I hope. I am going to have to try and remember to slow down and concentrate like Shugs says to. There is a good possibility that I eat faster than any other human on Earth…always have. So eating slow has always been a challenge for me. That particular skill came in handy at Basic Training, though.

Hmmmm…well I knew it would happen eventually. My first example of why Iraq is not the ideal place for dieting…you have no control of your choices of food. Case in point…

As posted previously, today is Day 7 and my planned HSM day. Naturally I’ve REALLY been looking forward to this day for two reasons. First, I was hoping to see some initial results from all this misery I’ve been putting myself through…nope. And second, I was looking forward to some relief from the misery in the form of healthy solid food…nope again.

I head up to the DFAC happy as hell. Obviously I haven’t been to the DFAC all this week because of the diet…felt like I hadn’t been there in a year. I wash my hands, scan my ID card, grab my tray and plastic flatware and turn around to face the gauntlet that I am about to boldly race through. You see, to get from the front entrance to the Healthy Bar you have to walk through everything else they have to offer. One must successfully negotiate the Main Line, Short Order, Soul Food Bar, Pizza Bar, Taco Bar, Asian Bar, Dessert Bar, Ice Cream Bar, Cold Cut Sandwich Bar and Sunday Brunch Bar to get to the Healthy Bar.

So naturally this is about the time that the little devil and the little angel pop up onto my shoulders.

Disclaimer - Angel has a filthy mouth…this is how he motivates me…Devil does, too

Devil: AWWWWW, SHIT. Motherfin’ Pizza Bar in the house, bitches! Fk it…you’ve been good all week…a couple of slices of pizza won’t hurt.

Angel: Yeah that’d be OK, if you were a spineless, pussy bitch. How ‘bout thinkin’…“I’ve been good all week, so I’d be a fool to f**k it up now.” So what you need to do is put your head down, get your feet movin’ and take your narrow-ass on over to the Healthy Bar.

So I get moving and just look straight forward…eyes on the prize…the Healthy Bar! Now ordinarily on the healthy bar you will have things like chicken breast, turkey breast, salmon, trout, etc. And then usually some kind of mixed vegetables, spinach, straight broccoli, etc. So what do we have on the day of my planned HSM? If you guessed lasagna and fatty ass chicken wings, you would be correct. What genius thought that was healthy?

So I walk the gauntlet again to get back up to the Main Line to see if there is anything decent up there…nope. As usual, it’s all fried…

Devil: See, this is what I was sayin’ God must want you to have Pizza today. Go ahead…you’ve EARNED it.

Angel: Boo-f**kin’-hoo…you whiny bitch. So shit didn’t go according to plan…that’s life! Eat your HSM tomorrow…it doesn’t have to be today.

Devil: NO…FUCK THAT! TODAY IS THE SOLID MEAL DAY…YOU’VE BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS ALL WEEK!

Angel: No, you f**kin’ punk…what you need to do is get your ass outta this DFAC most riki-tik! Remember what Shugart said? Physically move yourself somewhere else. NOW MOVE YOUR ASS!

And that’s when I hauled ass. I practically closed my eyes and ran outta there. It worked though…I didn’t cheat. But boy, what a Jedi-Mind-F**k! I was really looking forward to that meal.

Hopefully they have something worthy tomorrow…I’m almost scared to go back… :wink:

[quote]JPCleary wrote:
Hmmmm…well I knew it would happen eventually. My first example of why Iraq is not the ideal place for dieting…you have no control of your choices of food. Case in point…

As posted previously, today is Day 7 and my planned HSM day. Naturally I’ve REALLY been looking forward to this day for two reasons. First, I was hoping to see some initial results from all this misery I’ve been putting myself through…nope. And second, I was looking forward to some relief from the misery in the form of healthy solid food…nope again.

I head up to the DFAC happy as hell. Obviously I haven’t been to the DFAC all this week because of the diet…felt like I hadn’t been there in a year. I wash my hands, scan my ID card, grab my tray and plastic flatware and turn around to face the gauntlet that I am about to boldly race through. You see, to get from the front entrance to the Healthy Bar you have to walk through everything else they have to offer. One must successfully negotiate the Main Line, Short Order, Soul Food Bar, Pizza Bar, Taco Bar, Asian Bar, Dessert Bar, Ice Cream Bar, Cold Cut Sandwich Bar and Sunday Brunch Bar to get to the Healthy Bar.

So naturally this is about the time that the little devil and the little angel pop up onto my shoulders.

Disclaimer - Angel has a filthy mouth…this is how he motivates me…Devil does, too

Devil: AWWWWW, SHIT. Motherfin’ Pizza Bar in the house, bitches! Fk it…you’ve been good all week…a couple of slices of pizza won’t hurt.

Angel: Yeah that’d be OK, if you were a spineless, pussy bitch. How ‘bout thinkin’…“I’ve been good all week, so I’d be a fool to f**k it up now.” So what you need to do is put your head down, get your feet movin’ and take your narrow-ass on over to the Healthy Bar.

So I get moving and just look straight forward…eyes on the prize…the Healthy Bar! Now ordinarily on the healthy bar you will have things like chicken breast, turkey breast, salmon, trout, etc. And then usually some kind of mixed vegetables, spinach, straight broccoli, etc. So what do we have on the day of my planned HSM? If you guessed lasagna and fatty ass chicken wings, you would be correct. What genius thought that was healthy?

So I walk the gauntlet again to get back up to the Main Line to see if there is anything decent up there…nope. As usual, it’s all fried…

Devil: See, this is what I was sayin’ God must want you to have Pizza today. Go ahead…you’ve EARNED it.

Angel: Boo-f**kin’-hoo…you whiny bitch. So shit didn’t go according to plan…that’s life! Eat your HSM tomorrow…it doesn’t have to be today.

Devil: NO…FUCK THAT! TODAY IS THE SOLID MEAL DAY…YOU’VE BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS ALL WEEK!

Angel: No, you f**kin’ punk…what you need to do is get your ass outta this DFAC most riki-tik! Remember what Shugart said? Physically move yourself somewhere else. NOW MOVE YOUR ASS!

And that’s when I hauled ass. I practically closed my eyes and ran outta there. It worked though…I didn’t cheat. But boy, what a Jedi-Mind-F**k! I was really looking forward to that meal.

Hopefully they have something worthy tomorrow…I’m almost scared to go back… ;)[/quote]

dude, good catch. A lesser man would have prolly broke, but you didn’t and that in itself is a major victory. so pat yourself on the back.

Just remember, when life gives you lemons, you paint that shit gold (name of an Atmosphere record).

[quote]Bartl wrote:
dude, good catch. A lesser man would have prolly broke, but you didn’t and that in itself is a major victory. so pat yourself on the back.

Just remember, when life gives you lemons, you paint that shit gold (name of an Atmosphere record).[/quote]

Thanks, Bartl.

And Day 7 is done…

Well the DFAC had chicken and beef fajita meat…so I had a serving each of that and a serving of mixed vegetables. I really tried to eat slowly and it took me 15 minutes which for me is some kind of record. I really tried concentrating on each bite.

Just got back from the gym. This being Day Eight, it is the first time that a workout has been repeated. First sets were Front Squats…and I could tell as I was going through my warm up sets that this was not going to be as easy as last week…and I knew why.

Between having a posterior chain, particularly hamstrings, that was still tight and sore from Friday’s Deadlift Session, I also had quads that were smoked from the Jump Squats, Squat Thrusts and Reverse Lunges of Saturday’s V-Burn session. I don’t know why this didn’t occur to me before I went, but like I said, it didn’t take long for me to realize what was going on during my warm ups.

I refused to drop weight, though…so I knew that between the muscle fatigue and the decreased rest time between sets it was going to be a lot more sets…and it was. My last 8 sets were 1 rep sets…but damn it I made it to 20. Tonight’s NEPA walk should be fun.

And another one bites the dust…

…Day 8 goes down in the history books.

looking good bud…keep it up

Day 9 was uneventful…non-training day…

…and Day 9 is done.

keep up the good work brother!

I’m dreading the trip the chow hall as well, i’m going to have to get up early and get the grilled chicken and stuff they only have during lunch/dinner. I work nights, so all i have to look forward to for any kind of healthy food is whatever nobody wanted to eat for dinner, needless to say it’s never grilled chicken breast… ever.

Got a question for you, about how long did it take for all the supplements to get to you? I’ve been looking forward to the big ass box arriving any day now, but it’s been eluding me. Also, are you using the dfac peanut butter? What about flax? Hopefully the stuff my fam is sending me will get here ASAP.

Another thing- Props for the New Englanders!! I’m from NH originally.

[quote]JPCleary wrote:
Day 9 was uneventful…non-training day…

…and Day 9 is done.[/quote]

I feel your pain but I surfed. not to make you feel bad…

[quote]gellis4 wrote:
keep up the good work brother!

I’m dreading the trip the chow hall as well, i’m going to have to get up early and get the grilled chicken and stuff they only have during lunch/dinner. I work nights, so all i have to look forward to for any kind of healthy food is whatever nobody wanted to eat for dinner, needless to say it’s never grilled chicken breast… ever.

Got a question for you, about how long did it take for all the supplements to get to you? I’ve been looking forward to the big ass box arriving any day now, but it’s been eluding me. Also, are you using the dfac peanut butter? What about flax? Hopefully the stuff my fam is sending me will get here ASAP.

Another thing- Props for the New Englanders!! I’m from NH originally.[/quote]

I actually barely remember New England…definitely not Mass. and a little bit of South Portland. We moved to be close to my Mom’s side of the family in South Carolina when I was in the 1st grade…so that’s what I consider home.

I actually got the supps quick…must have been 8 days. Here at Warhorse it’s usually closer to 10 days. When I was at Balad it was exactly 7 days every time…that was nice. But that’s just because that is where the JMMT(Joint Military Mail Terminal)is. The fastest I’ve ever gotten anything was 4 days at Balad last year. I ordered some Supreme Protein bars from ProSource.net. ProSource is in Jersey and everything we get APO goes through New York…so they must have hit the truck right after I ordered…hit the plane just as it was leaving…and spent less than a day in Kuwait for it to get here that quick. The faster things can get to New York, the faster they will get to you. So if you order something from a company in California it will take longer than ordering from a company in Connecticut.

As far as PB is concerned I had my wife send me 6 of the Smuckers Natural PB. I really didn’t want all the other crap that comes in regular PB, like sugar…all we eat at home is natural PB. The ingredients are peanuts and salt…perfect. I ordered my flax seed from ProSource.net because that’s where I order all my supps…other than Biotest. Since I know they ship to APO/FPO and they have never screwed up my order, I looked there first and sure enough they had milled flax seed.

[quote]Bartl wrote:
I feel your pain but I surfed. not to make you feel bad…[/quote]

I’ve never had the opportunity to surf…I’ll try it if I ever get the chance, though. Shit looks tough!

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.