Biotest

V-Diet in Iraq

Got my shipment of supplements yesterday…that was faster than usual.

I start the program tomorrow. My biggest challenge will be not having to go out on the road for a month. So fingers crossed none of my systems go down…

Here are the starting stats…

28 yrs old
5’ 11"
172lbs

Neck 14.75
Shoulder 46.50
Chest 38.00
Bicep 13.00
Waist 35.00
Hip 36.00
Thigh 22.00
Calf 13.50

I’ll post before and after pics at the end of the journey…looking forward to it.

V-Diet in Iraq… I always use you guys as examples when someone says that their lives are just too busy or unpredictable to do the V-Diet. If it can be done in Iraq, it can be done anywhere!

Keep us posted!

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
V-Diet in Iraq… I always use you guys as examples when someone says that their lives are just too busy or unpredictable to do the V-Diet. If it can be done in Iraq, it can be done anywhere!

Keep us posted!
[/quote]

Thanks, Chris…and you’re right. This environment is not conducive to clean, consistent eating.

I have it better than some, though. The FOB (Forward Operating Base) that I live on has a DFAC (Dining Facility) with a “Healthy Bar” They usually manage to have a source of lean protein, like chicken breast, and steamed vegetables. Some times fish like Salmon or Trout. Not a lot of variety, but better than some places.

Some of the COP’s (Combat Outposts)that I travel to where I have systems have no choices at all. They eat one hot meal a day, dinner, off the MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailer) The other two meals a day are literally junk food. They have a little hut where they have some picnic tables to eat on and in there are boxes of Otis Spukenmeyer muffins, cookies, pudding, M&M’s, etc. The grab up an armful and take it to a table…that’s breakfast and lunch.

So I don’t have any room complaining…it could be worse.

By the way, that’s one reason I liked this diet…it’s doable here because it’s all supplements. Since we don’t have unlimited sources of food like back home, we can’t do cutting diets like the Get Shredded Diet just because of lack of resources. It’s expensive, though. You all mention the offset of not having a grocery bill for a month, but it doesn’t shake out that way for us, since we eat for free anyway, over here. So it’s all extra cost. But I think it will be worth it…just looking at folk’s before and afters.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

OK…just made all my shakes for tomorrow. Unlike doing this at home where I have a kitchen here all I have is a latrine a country block away from my hooch. So that being the case, it makes sense to make 5 shakes at a time and only have to wash my blender once in the latrine, rather than doing it 5 times a day.

I also printed out my training logs for this week and put them in my gym binder.

Loaded some fresh music on the iPod and I am ready for tomorrow!

good luck JP

[quote]Reaper Man wrote:
good luck JP

[/quote]

Thanks, Reaper Man…

[quote]JPCleary wrote:
OK…just made all my shakes for tomorrow. Unlike doing this at home where I have a kitchen here all I have is a latrine a country block away from my hooch. So that being the case, it makes sense to make 5 shakes at a time and only have to wash my blender once in the latrine, rather than doing it 5 times a day.

I also printed out my training logs for this week and put them in my gym binder.

Loaded some fresh music on the iPod and I am ready for tomorrow![/quote]

Well all be JPC, Im at FOB Loyalty and am going to start the VD tomorrow on the 4th. Where are you at?

Glad to see some other military guys doing this. I’ve got my supplies on the way. I plan on starting it ASAP.

I’m on Camp Ramadi by the way, another deployed guy doing the v-diet!

Goodluck brother! I’ll be checking your page for updates!

Day one so far…

Woke up this morning, downed a Flameout and a HOT-ROX, chased it with my breakfast shake. Let everything settle and absorb for an hour while I checked, emails, FaceBook and read some of Nate Green’s blog… http://www.thenategreenexperience.com/

I’ve always enjoyed Nate’s T-Nation articles and have been meaning to check out his blog and never got around to it until this morning…it’s a good read, you should check it out.

After some entertaining reading, it was off to the gym. One thing about this FOB and where I live on it, is I am a two minute walk from what is a surprisingly nice gym for the size of the FOB.

I am doing the Intermediate training program. Two things I was left thinking after completing this first workout was I was done a lot faster than usual and it was intense. These two both relate to the fact that the previous program I was on had longer rest breaks and a few more sets. It was the shortening of the rest periods that both made it shorter and more intense feeling.

I like both. I like the longer rest breaks because I can lift more weight each set, but I like the shorter rest breaks because I really feel like I am “bringing it” the entire time…I like that wasted feeling when I am done.

Did cool down, and downed my Surge Recovery…my first time. I didn’t know what to expect but I’ve read a lot of displeasure about the taste, everything from people asking how they can make it better to people saying they actually threw up and absolutely will not drink that again. I wasn’t too worried though because I have a pretty high threshold for things that cause discomfort.

The first thing I thought of after a few gulps and then exhaling through my nose was…coconut schnapps. I don’t even know if such a thing exists, but it tasted like coconut and had this hot, burning, alcohol like aftertaste…it was strange. I have never drank anything other than liquor that had that burning sensation to it. Can some please tell me if they have had a similar experience? It was the “Original” flavor.

[quote]jb2001 wrote:
JPCleary wrote:

Loaded some fresh music on the iPod and I am ready for tomorrow!

Well all be JPC, Im at FOB Loyalty and am going to start the VD tomorrow on the 4th. Where are you at?
[/quote]

What’s up, JB?

I’m at Warhorse now…Balad before that…and Speicher before that.

[quote]gellis4 wrote:
Glad to see some other military guys doing this. I’ve got my supplies on the way. I plan on starting it ASAP.

I’m on Camp Ramadi by the way, another deployed guy doing the v-diet!

Goodluck brother! I’ll be checking your page for updates! [/quote]

Thanks, gellis…I’ll be updating daily.

[quote]JPCleary wrote:
The first thing I thought of after a few gulps and then exhaling through my nose was…coconut schnapps. I don’t even know if such a thing exists, but it tasted like coconut and had this hot, burning, alcohol like aftertaste…it was strange. I have never drank anything other than liquor that had that burning sensation to it. Can some please tell me if they have had a similar experience? It was the “Original” flavor.[/quote]

New one on me. I used the original flavor years ago and it always tasted like angel food cake to me.

Since they came out with chocolate, I’ve switched to that. Tried the raspberry flavor once but it was way too sweet for my taste.

Just got back from my 50 minute NEPA walk around the FOB at a fast clip…and now I’ve finished my last shake of the day. That peanut butter was good.

Day one down…soon to be day two.

And Day 2 begins…

Woke up and popped the HOT-ROX, Flameout and downed the breakfast shake…

I always hate non-training days…recovery is a must…but I hate not going to the gym.

Just got back from my NEPA walk around the FOB, through a sand and dust storm…that was fun. When I got back the hair on my head and legs was tan because of all the dust stuck to my sweaty head and legs.

Soon I will be downing my PB shake and then to bed after that.

I’m beginning to feel the effects of the lower carbs…but it’s not too bad.

Day two down…

I guess this is going to get repetitive, me saying essentially the same thing everyday, but…

Day 3 down…

Good Luck : )

[quote]morrisP wrote:
Good Luck : )[/quote]

Thanks, morrisP.

And Day 4 begins…

Made all my shakes for today…downed my breakfast shake and a Flameout…skipped the HOT-ROX.

I have been having a really hard time sleeping since I started this. Each day I have taken a HOT-ROX before breakfast and then again around 2:00PM. I wouldn’t think that would affect my falling asleep 8 hours later, but we’ll see tonight.

Also I am hot as hell laying in bed and that has a lot to do with me not being able to drift off…it’s like my skin is radiating heat. It actually made me think to check my temperature the past few nights when this is happening…and surprisingly it is down a full degree…around 97.5. Weird…I thought I was going to be running a low grade fever based on the way I felt.

Any experts out there that can guess what’s up with that?

Other than that, everything has been fine so far.

The workouts have been surprisingly challenging. They don’t sound like too much just reading them…and they are all exercises I am familiar with. But it is the short rest breaks, that makes it intense. But you really have to stick to the rest breaks by timing yourself, if you just wing it, or ignore that factor completely, the workouts will not be nearly as beneficial.

[quote]JPCleary wrote:
Any experts out there that can guess what’s up with that?[/quote]

When I first used HRX, I had the same reaction. Always running hot.

Just might be an initial reaction because I’m not feeling anything like that now. Still get jittery if I take it on an empty stomach, however.