Biotest

V-Diet & Hypothyroidism?

For the past couple years I have been trying to figure out what, if anything is wrong with me (aside from my obvious goofiness and the likes). What I mean is I am the type of person who is constantly tired regardless of sleep and am usually always cold in both my feet, arms, and hands, and I have a great great difficulty losing weight. I find that no matter what I do I cannot get lean. Sure I’m in good shape, but I’m not where I’d like to be.

So after finally convincing my doctor that no I am not too stressed and yes I get enough sleep and eat right she has finally come to the conclusion which I have been suspecting for a while which is that I may have hypothyroidism. Thyroid issues run in my family on my dad’s side and this is something we had looked into previously but came back inconclusive.

I am currently entering my 4th week of the V-Diet, which I have followed to a tee, no cheating what so ever, and I have only lost 2 lbs. Mind you my stomach has leaned out some, but not a great deal. My weight fluctuates greatly so I weight myself once a day and then average it out over the week. Now I could care less what I weigh but I am just wondering that if my test results come back next week and something is wrong, if this could be why I’m not seeing the same results others are. Would having hypothyroidism affect the effectiveness of the V-Diet?

Hypothyroidism can make it more difficult to fat according to most docs.

But your symptoms sound like classic iron deficiency. Have you had that checked out recently?

They’re testing that this week as well so hopefully I’ll find out soon. I will say that the V-Diet has been one of the best experiences I have had, and going into week 4 and then into the transition phase I know that I can and will reach my goals and the V-Diet has been just the push I needed.

Chris,

Can an iron deficiency impair fat loss? I have struggled with anemia since I was 16, and have also struggled with fat loss for almost the same number of years. If there’s a connection, I would love to know! Thanks.

[quote]firespinner93 wrote:
Chris,

Can an iron deficiency impair fat loss? I have struggled with anemia since I was 16, and have also struggled with fat loss for almost the same number of years. If there’s a connection, I would love to know! Thanks.[/quote]

I’m no doctor, but my guess is that iron deficiency may make it difficult for women to lose body fat simply because they’re feeling constantly exhausted and weak, which kills motivation to go to the gym or even move around much.

Iron deficiency and hypothyroidism are often correlated, so you may be getting hit with both. Many people who exhibit signs of iron deficiency are also hypothyroidal.

From a chicken and egg perspective, my suspicion is that the low iron prohibits the thyroid hormones from entering and activating cell nuclei. You would probably have a high amount of TSH in your blood, since your thyroid is requesting your pituitary to secrete it, but it has nowhere to go once it is in the blood stream since it can’t be properly absorbed. This also leads to imbalances in your T3 and T4 levels, and negatively feeds back into the system.

OP: I suggest reading all you can about thyroid and make sure you don’t just accept your doctor’s opinion as fact without actively managing your health care. Lots of doctors are clueless when it comes to this, and treat based on arbitrary lab ranges and not on symptoms.

Edited: Clarified opening statement on correlation

Not sure if we are allowd to post links, but here is an article on anemia by Dr. Bryan Walsh

precisionnutrition.com/sub-clinical-anemia

Thanks so much for all of the input. I’m having my blood checked for a second time tomorrow and they are apparently doing a whole work up. I am just so damn tired of being tired and of people telling me ‘get more sleep’ or that I’m ‘too stressed’. I try and stay as in touch with myself as I can and its just frustrating to have person after person say I’ll grow out of it. I have a feeling I’m going to have to be fairly relentless in looking for an answer and not having a stable family doctor isn’t making that much easier.

I really do appreciate the info though and will definitely do some more research before my next appointment.

Not having a stable family doctor will make it easier, not harder (in the U.S. anyway, not sure about canadian nationalized health care). A lot of guys refuse to listen to anything other than what their well-intentioned but woefully ignorant family doctor tells them, even though said doctor’s knowledge is based on textbooks from the 60’s

Sort of like nutritionists :slight_smile:

OP, I had some thyroid issues and my naturopath put me on kelp tablets for a year or so.

Recently I have been feeling tired for a LOOOONG time and decided to check out some more thyroid tablets. I am taking a vitamins/minerals complex called Thyroplex. I am not going to jump in with diagnostics here, but if it is a thyroid issue, you may wish to check out Thyroplex, or something similar, subject to doctor’s approval. The ingredients are wonderful, so i figured even if it wasn’t thyroid, the zinc, selenium and other goodies would boost me up a bit.

I’ve only taken it for a couple of days but I can feel a difference. I have some other problems (longstanding infection, asthma, etc) but I wanted to let you know that some good herbal tablets can help a lot, as can, of course, accurate diagnosis.

Also, even if your doctor says it’s not thyroid according to tests, I learned that even if your levels show you to be normal, you still might have problems in that area. I’m not pushing these tablets as such, just want you to be aware that there are some good herbals out there that can help.

I self-medicated, as it were, because I could see that what is in those tablets would do me good, based on previous experience.

I would not advise you to self-medicate, find a good naturopath if you take this option, or a doctor that does both medical and herbal remedies. They are out there.

Good luck wih this.:slight_smile:

Incidentally, Chris, back in February when I had an asthma attack, one of the things I did was drink a LOT of fresh OJ for a week or two! About four or five litres a week.

Haven’t craved ice cream since!

Let us know how your blood tests came back. I am having the same problem

Ok so I have been extremely under the weather lately but I have figured some things out in the past couple of weeks. One, Chris like you initially suggested my iron is in fact low and I have begun taking supplements for this. I had really bad anemia when I was younger and thought I had adjusted my diet enough to compensate but apparently I did not. Two, my thyroid function is at the very low end of normal. I have started doing the thyroid basal temperature thing and am recording my temperature three times per day for two weeks to see how I average out. The doc thinks my lower than average thyroid could be playing a role in my hypoglycemia as well, making the symptoms seem worse than they actually are.

I am not big on medication and typically just try and adjust my diet and lifestyle to fix any problems and taken supplements. After reading what 'nuffsaid I thought I would look into them and have just started taking something called thyrosense today after getting my doc to check it over first. She said its got lots of good stuff in there that definitely aren’t going to harm and may help.

All in all I’m feeling pretty good about where I’m at, just happy I’m taking control of it now. I’m also happy because I’m done my transitioning on Sunday and I’m just so insanely happy I did the V-Diet, I feel so much more empowered about my body and food choices.

V-Diet rocked my socks, hard.

Thanks for update, cmoore213!

One thing I’ve noticed is that it’s very tough for most women to get enough iron without at least occasional supplementation. May be a good idea to keep a good iron supp handy.

Cmoore213, glad I could help! I’d be interested to read about your progress.

Question for Chris - why is it that so many women lack iron? Is it mainly a period-based cause (is this even correct) or are there other reasons? It seems to be extremely common though I wouldn’t know if it was the top cause of women’s fatigue.

[quote]'nuffsaid wrote:
Cmoore213, glad I could help! I’d be interested to read about your progress.

Question for Chris - why is it that so many women lack iron? Is it mainly a period-based cause (is this even correct) or are there other reasons? It seems to be extremely common though I wouldn’t know if it was the top cause of women’s fatigue.[/quote]

Total body iron averages are approximately 3.8 g in men and 2.3 g in women. Add menstrual bleeding and being afraid to eat red meat, and women are usually low in iron. Underlying gastrointestinal disorders could also be the cause of chronic iron deficiency.

Thanks for that.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.