Biotest

V-Diet for Woman with PCOS and Diabetes?

Hi Chris,

I am a 33 yr old woman with history of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and type 2 diabetes. I am thinking about starting Velocity Diet to lose 20 lbs. I am 5’ 2" and currently weigh 151 lbs (BMI 27.6) and have ~33% body fat (according to the handheld body fat monitor). I have lost 50 lbs in 5 months through diet and exercise since December 2013.

My goal for losing the next 20 lbs is to be fit and strong for pregnancy and child birth. I had an ectopic pregnancy at my heavier weight last October (~201 lbs), and have just suffered loss of a second baby due to missed miscarriage in the first trimester a few weeks ago ( at ~149 lbs). Due to the grief of losing second baby and the physical pain of miscarriage, I didn’t follow the diet and exercise program for 2 weeks after miscarriage.

In a short amount of 8 days, I gained 8 lbs (is that even possible?). My body has a tendency to gain weight very quickly, and lose it painfully slowly (possibly due to PCOS).

Doctors recommend weight loss as a way to manage hormonal imbalances caused by PCOS, which are apparently less at lower weight (although 40% of PCOS patients are normal or underweight). I am sticking to their recommendation by aiming to lose another 20 lbs which will put me in the normal BMI range, and be in the 20-25% body fat (which is ideal for pregnancy). My diabetes is well controlled with Metformin, a common drug for insulin resistance/glucose control.

However, I have issues with emotional eating and binge eating and portion control, which have become difficult to manage after the recent miscarriage.

I have the following questions for you:

1. Would you advice me to go through the Velocity Diet to lose the 20 lbs of fat while building lean muscle?

2. How would I maintain the weight loss after the diet ends? Could you mention diet and exercise specifics for maintaining the weight loss? Is this plan appropriate for women with insulin resistance issues?

3. Can I eat in the maintenance mode if I become pregnant? How would you recommend modifying the nutrition program for pregnancy?

4. Will this diet help me in overcoming emotional eating and binge eating and portion control issues? Or will my food obsession grow worse after the diet?

5. Is HOT-ROX safe for pre-conception?

6. I take a pre-natal multivitamin supplement and vitamin D3 supplement. Can I continue to take them along with the supplements required for the Velocity Diet?

7. I am trying to get rid of my sugar addiction by avoiding simple sugars and am using stevia as a sweetener. My ultimate goal is to be rid of all natural and artificial sugars (which is impossible in the modern world). What ingredients are used in the protein shakes to sweeten them?

8. Will I need access to a gym and someone to explain me how to do the exercises prescribed in the program? I haven’t been to a professional gym in a very long time. I do train with a personal trainer weekly, we mostly do circuit/strength training using free weights, kettlebell and bosu/stability ball.

9. I am a lacto-ovo-vegetarian. What are the lean protein sources that you recommend that I eat for the healthy solid meal portion of the diet?

10. Do you allow legumes/beans in any portion of the diet (eg. maintenance mode)?

Thank you so much for answering my questions! (and I am sorry for long list of questions). Your answers will help me make an informed choice before I embark on this diet!

Thank you again!

Gracehope

I hate to do this to you, but many of my answers to these questions will be “ask your doctor and read the warning labels.” I’m not an MD and can’t really respond to certain medical or pregnancy questions. This is certainly not a plan to use while pregnant or if you don’t know you’re pregnant. But I can help you out with a few of them:

Maintaining fat loss is mainly about NOT going to back to what caused fat gain to begin with. The V-Diet removes most foods that cause cravings and food addictions. I always advise that everyone cut wheat out of their diets forever as this is the #1 cause of overeating and addictions to foods. (The book Wheat Belly goes into details there if you’re interested.)

The V-Diet also helps you break bad dietary habits by removing most food choices and helping you develop long-term taste change. In short, you lose the cravings for junk foods and fattening foods while developing a taste for more healthful foods. The shakes + HSM combos play a big role in this. Likewise, the V-Diets helps people learn to differentiate real hunger from false hunger signals - cravings, emotional eating etc. The length of the V-Diet plays a role here because it takes about 4-5 days to change the opiate-like addictions to certain foods like wheat and milk, and 21 days to drop most psychological bad habits. The 4-week strict phase of the V-Diet covers this and leads to long term changes in dietary behavior.

It’s fine to take your normal vitamins and D3 while on the V-Diet. Superfood itself though can replace most multi-vitamins.

You can read the labels and ingredients for every supplement in the V-Diet at the <a href="http://www.t-nation.com/store/"target=“new”>Biotest Store.

Your trainer sounds awful honestly (BOSU ball is a waste of time, for example.) You don’t have to use the exact workout provided, but you do need to train with weights and avoid excess cardio.

I do not believe that any form of vegetarian diet is healthful or natural, so I can’t advise you there.

Legumes are fine.

In summary, I don’t think the V-Diet is right for you at this time. To many medical issues, a chance of pregnancy, and plenty of other things than can be improved before such an extreme plan would be needed.

Thanks for the reply Chris!

I just want to clarify that I am not planning on becoming pregnant until losing the 20 lbs. It takes 3-6 months for the female body to be ready for another pregnancy after suffering a miscarriage. Emotional recovery is a completely different story…

I will read more about the velocity diet and other forums on this website to get a better idea on how to lose fat while building muscle in the most time and effort effective manner. I have always been an inactive larger person, and have gotten into consistent diet and strength training and cardio schedule only 8 months ago. I have a lot to learn, and this is a great place to do so.

If I start the diet, I will keep the diet log here and will let you know how it is progressing.

Thanks again!

Gracehope

Keep us posted!

If you have any general diet or supplement questions, feel free to reply and post them here. I’d be glad to help.

Thanks Chris!

Do you have any suggestions for lean protein sources other than eggs for HSM? (I don’t eat meat and fish)

Is cheese allowed as part of the HSM?

You also mentioned dairy and wheat delay fat loss. Are greek yoghurt and cheese included in that assessment?
How does this compare to literature confirming higher weight loss observed in people eating more dairy products?

The protein shakes in the Velocity diet contain whey and casein proteins from milk. Are the fat loss delaying components of dairy other than these proteins?

I am getting my husband involved in this journey as well. I think we will both do this diet together. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your help!

Hard cheeses are fine. They’re calorically dense but don’t pose the same problems as milk for most people (lower or no carbs/sugars etc.) Just avoid soy products. See our article in the archives called Poison Protein: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/poison_protein Sorry, I don’t have any other tips. I’m a soy avoider and a meat eater.

Greek yogurt is fine in moderation, just make sure it’s real Greek yogurt without added sugar. Fage brand is good. Yoplait is fake.

The dairy studies were basically junk studies funded by the milk industry and have been widely debunked. Run a search on Google. Pretty smarmy stuff going on there.

When dairy products are made into a protein powder like Metabolic Drive, all of the “bad stuff” is removed. Usually, even lactose intolerant people can use quality whey and casein protein powders.

Thanks again Chris!

Just two more questions:

1. Can I adapt the Velocity training program for home? I don’t have a gym membership and am overwhelmed by gyms whenever I have had an opportunity to visit one. Plus, changing too many things at the same time might not be sustainable for long term.

2. For the HSM meal, are there any guidelines for number of carbs from the whole grain category?

Despite my trainer’s advice, I have decided to go ahead with Velocity Diet. I am ordering the stuff as we speak, and will begin next week when it arrives.

I hope that it works as well as I am hoping it to be!

Thank you!

One more question for you Chris:

Can I do high intensity interval cardio on elliptical (for shorter duration), instead of walking for fasted NEPA (cardio) portion of the daily training on the V diet?

Would it help accelerate fat loss and get faster results?

Thanks!

It could, but too much traditional cardio could lead to muscle loss. I do prefer intervals to long duration though. Keep it under 10 minutes. A good plan would be to get the heart rate up fast with intervals, then continue with a walk or something moderate/light.

Thank you very much Chris!

Can I adapt the Velocity training program for home? I am starting this next week.

If you have a few pieces of equipment you can probably get pretty close. You can make exercise substitutions as needed. The important thing is to try the set/rep/rest scheme. It’s explained in the plan (not on the printout workout, but a tab before than) but can be confusing to some. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Chris!

Do you recommend any calorie modifications on the Velocity Diet shakes for me? I am 5’ 2" and weigh ~153 lbs (33 yr old woman). The V-Diet calculator doesn’t have any inputs for height and gender.

You’re right, the calculator isn’t perfect for everyone, but it does have a gender feature beside of “weight.” Be sure to toggle it over to female if you haven’t yet and scroll down and view the plan it makes for you.

For most people, it’s about right. Some females have found that one less scoop of Metabolic Drive (1 less scoop for the whole day) and half the flax seed is better for them. Feel free to adjust that if you need it or find yourself feeling too full.

Thanks again Chris!

Surge Recovery has 44 gm of carbs. Given my insulin resistance issues, should I skip it after strength training, and have Metabolic Drive shake instead?

[quote]gracehope wrote:
Thanks again Chris!

Surge Recovery has 44 gm of carbs. Given my insulin resistance issues, should I skip it after strength training, and have Metabolic Drive shake instead?
[/quote]

You may not need Surge at this point. But I’d suggest trying half a serving right after your workout, then have a shake not too long after that. You can even sip that half-serving during training, then finish it right after. This could help you keep your energy up during the workout as well, without hitting you all at once with 22g of carbs.

Thanks Chris!