Biotest

V-Diet for One Week to Drop Weight for 10K

I am running my 10K right now at 47min @ 220lbs. I would like to get my time under 45 minutes. With each pound less I weigh I will run a mile 2 seconds faster. The amount of weight I would need to drop to get sub 45 minutes would be 10lbs. I intend on embarking on a seven to eight day Velocity diet to drop the initial weight and the night before the race have some whole wheat pasta to fill my glycogen stores and the morning of have some surge for energy.

My question to you Chris is will this work to my benefit or am I going to set myself up for failure? Theoretically speaking it makes sense to me and all the weakness I feel will be gone since I will supersaturate my hungry muscles with the carbs it is looking for (150-200g) the day before the race.
What do you think?

No, not a good idea.

Bad carb source to boot.

I’d suggest a 36-hour pulse fast, then Surge Workout Fuel and FINiBAR on race day.

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
No, not a good idea.

Bad carb source to boot.

I’d suggest a 36-hour pulse fast, then Surge Workout Fuel and FINiBAR on race day.

[/quote]

So are you saying to skip the V-Diet week before or to do the week and then 36 hour pulse fast before the race with Surge and performance bar on race day morning?

I was just throwing that out there as a quick way to shed some water, fat, and clean your system out. Another less severe plan is our 100 Gram Carb Cure, then refeed for the race with Surge, FINiBAR etc.

And while I always say that fat loss is the best performance enhancer, I’m not sure if your precise math is very realistic. It’s not that tight of a science unless you’re a world class runner. And then there the effect of a fat loss diet itself on performance – usually not positive that – it could counterweigh the performance improvement from the fat loss.

Heck, better shoes may shave 2 seconds off a mile, or some form work.

I honestly think your best bet is to simply train for the race, then fuel properly the day of.

My wife recently competed in a 10 miler and she used FINiBARs and the new MAG-10 during. SWF may have been a better choice, but she said it really improved her time and whole experience.