Biotest

V-Diet Before Shoulder Surgery?

Hi, new here and trying to find out as much info as possible about the V-Diet. Yes, it’s scattered all over the place and makes it hard to find.

I have maybe a weird scenerio. I am not a body builder nor do I want to become one. I do want to be fit and toned. My problem is, I am going in to have both shoulders done, (replacements). One good reason I’ll never become a body builder. Before I go in for the surgery, I want to be as fit and toned as I can to help the recovery time.(surgery not for a few months)

I’d like to do the V-Diet as I do some weights, however not huge. I have also found that swimming daily is great for my shoulders. I’ve read that on the V-Diet this would be a no no. Is there any way I can do the V-Diet and not give up the swimming, as it’s so beneficial to me?

Thanks for any replies.

[quote]ez2cy wrote:
Hi, new here and trying to find out as much info as possible about the V-Diet. Yes, it’s scattered all over the place and makes it hard to find.
[/quote]

OK, first- the info is far from scattered all over the place. Check out the stickies (the first few threads) in the forum and you should be fine. Or just read the articles (also linked to via stickies).

[quote]ez2cy wrote:
I have also found that swimming daily is great for my shoulders. I’ve read that on the V-Diet this would be a no no. Is there any way I can do the V-Diet and not give up the swimming, as it’s so beneficial to me?
[/quote]

Second, did someone tell you to swim? I’ve been a lifelong swimmer and have had shoulder surgery- BECAUSE of swimming. I’m just surprised you say it helps your shoulders, as this is usually the complete opposite. I’m curious for more details if you don’t mind sharing.

Also, how long/far are you swimming for and how vigorously? For people that bike to work (for example) Chris has often said it’s an OK NEPA replacement as long as it’s not too vigorous.

No, no one told me to swim. I had rotator cuff surgery about 10 years ago, which they told me I had the joint of an 80 year old man. All my years of rodeoing has caught up to me. Im waiting to have both shoulders replaced now.

I thought I’d try it in our own small pool to see if it helped. When I first started, all I could hear underwater was a grinding noise, muscles extremely sore and unable to move the shoulder much. That went away the more I swam. Because of cold weather (pool 60 degrees last time I swam in it) I’ve gone to a complex to swim. I’m doing 1000 meters in around 45 minutes and going daily. Not setting world records by any means.

I mentioned that I am doing some weight work which is not the total truth. I’m using a Bowflex for some upper body work. I’m sure that maybe sort of a swear word around here with you guys into this a lot more than me but it seems to work for what I want. Because of my bad BAD shoulders, I have absolutely no upper body as I was unable to work out at all for years. Now I’m trying to get some of it back. As I said, I’m not trying to be a big bulky kind of body builder, just some tone would be nice. I do need to lose a lot of body fat though.

[quote]ez2cy wrote:
No, no one told me to swim. I had rotator cuff surgery about 10 years ago, which they told me I had the joint of an 80 year old man. All my years of rodeoing has caught up to me. Im waiting to have both shoulders replaced now.

I thought I’d try it in our own small pool to see if it helped. When I first started, all I could hear underwater was a grinding noise, muscles extremely sore and unable to move the shoulder much. That went away the more I swam. Because of cold weather (pool 60 degrees last time I swam in it) I’ve gone to a complex to swim. I’m doing 1000 meters in around 45 minutes and going daily. Not setting world records by any means.

I mentioned that I am doing some weight work which is not the total truth. I’m using a Bowflex for some upper body work. I’m sure that maybe sort of a swear word around here with you guys into this a lot more than me but it seems to work for what I want. Because of my bad BAD shoulders, I have absolutely no upper body as I was unable to work out at all for years. Now I’m trying to get some of it back. As I said, I’m not trying to be a big bulky kind of body builder, just some tone would be nice. I do need to lose a lot of body fat though.

[/quote]

I still find it odd that you feel it helps you… usually swimming is pretty crap for any type of shoulder injury. I would just be cautious with it and make sure you tell your doctor/physical therapist what you’re doing (especially with the noises and pains you described at first).

As I have no idea what your current pain level is, injury details and when you’re having your surgery (and I’m not doctor), I really have no idea if it could be helping or harming you. I know from experience though that you don’t want to make it worse. Once the pain started for me, it really didn’t stop until I had surgery- and that’s not fun.

On a similar note, be careful with the upper body exercises. Again, something I would speak with someone about who knows your history and can give you specific advice on what exercises to do or avoid. I know I was banned from a ton of upper body exercises when my shoulder were causing problems and given specific rehabilitative exercises instead (and those were not ones my intuition would have told me to do). And my trainers worked with me according to my pain levels and inflammation to figure out what I needed to do each step of the way.

If your shoulders are really that bad that they need a replacement, I really suggest speaking with your doctor or therapist before starting anything on your own.

Good luck and keep us updated.