Biotest

V-Diet and Tri Training

Chris
I am looking to shed pounds and was directed to the V-Diet, I have to tell you impressed with the plan. My question, would you advise against doing the diet if training for a tri. Here is a typical training week:
Monday - AM - indoor bike trainer, PM 1 - run(3-5 miles), PM 2 - swim(1 - 3miles)
Tuesday - AM - P90 Chest routine, PM - swim(1 - 3miles)
Wednesday - AM - Indoor bike trainer
Thursday - AM - P90 shoulder routine, PM - run (3- 5miles)
Friday - AM - Indoor Bike Trainer
Sat - BRICK - AM 1 - swim (1 - 3miles) AM 2 - Bike (20 - 40 miles), AM 3 - Run(3 miles)
Sun - AM 1 - Run or Bike, AM 2 - swim (1 - 3 miles)

I want to drop an additional 10 pounds and am having problems. Diet has been strict at around 2000 calories, good carbs only, whey shake, lots water, fruit and veges, protein,
% breakdown average - P - 70%, C - 15%, F - 14%

Hit a peak and have held current weight range 165 - 169 for over 2 months. Based on my frame, I am more muscular than typical triathlete - background in College FB and HS swimming. BTW, I hate running.

Thanks in advance for advice.

That workout will kick your ass on the V-Diet. Many people have asked similar questions, and the answer is almost always: “For best results, do the workout provided.”.

Are you truly on a strict diet of 2000 calories a day? If you are really consuming only 2000 calories a day and doing the above training program I can’t imagine how you could not be losing weight. If I was you, I would double-check my food intake and make sure you are being honest with yourself and that there aren’t any “hidden calories”.

Yes, I’d advise against using the V-Diet, or any strict fat-loss die, when preparing for an athletic event. Those are just two different goals.

The V-Diet is a fat-loss specific plan. For one month, the focus is on losing fat and breaking bad dietary habits, and that’s it. It’s very focused on one goal.

The V-Diet may be something you want to do, but not when prepping for a triathlon.

Hockeydawg - 2000 is accurate, I tracked and logged it for 3 weeks, out of the 3 weeks, 3 days were 2210 calories. I have lost 20 pounds since January, but have hit the wall the last 3 weeks.

Chris, thanks for the reply, it was what I thought I would hear.

I have been debating adding some more calories on the saturday - tuesday days.

Also thinking about adding some supplements - currently only taking vitamins - like Alpha Male or HOT-ROX. This might be the boost I need to burn the final 10 pounds.

[quote]zspartan wrote:
Hockeydawg - 2000 is accurate, I tracked and logged it for 3 weeks, out of the 3 weeks, 3 days were 2210 calories. I have lost 20 pounds since January, but have hit the wall the last 3 weeks.

Chris, thanks for the reply, it was what I thought I would hear.

I have been debating adding some more calories on the saturday - tuesday days.

Also thinking about adding some supplements - currently only taking vitamins - like Alpha Male or HOT-ROX. This might be the boost I need to burn the final 10 pounds.[/quote]

You may want to think about doing a light refeed on the weekend. Nothing crazy, all clean, but a good bump in calories and good carbs. Cycling like that often helps those who’ve stalled out with fat loss, assuming they have more fat to lose. (Sometimes a person “stalls” simply because he’s lost all the fat he really needs to lose, or at least all his body is going to give up easily.)

HOT-ROX is a good choice. For carb refeeds and pre-race, I can’t recommend FINiBAR enough: http://www.t-nation.com/store/supplements/finibar.jsp