Biotest

V-Diet Again? Third Time's a Charm

The third time is a charm, right? Right?

Well I sure hope so. This will be my third run through the Velocity diet. The first time I managed to make it through the first four weeks and lost a little over twenty pounds. However, over the last year and a half I put the weight back on. I tried to V-Diet the weight off again in late May, but I failed after just a week and a half. I wish I could say it was something other than lack of will power, but I can�??t. I just wasn�??t mentally tough enough at that point in time.

So what is different this time around? First, my schedule is crazy right now. I am a full time student (I graduate with my second BA in December) and I have a full time career. Some people have trouble dieting when they are busy, however, the more rigid my schedule is the more likely I am to accomplish things. I guess I have always been an all or nothing type of guy.

Second, I am not currently in a relationship. You know those toxic people that Chris Shugart always writes about? My ex was the poison dart frog of toxic people. Three days after I started the diet she decided that she wanted to learn how to bake bread, despite admittedly despising cooking. It really wouldn�??t surprise me to find out that she was pouring pancake batter down my throat while I slept.

Third, I am going to a wedding on October 17th and I am damn well not going to let my family (that I rarely see) know how fat I have gotten. Also, a thinner me has a much better chance talking the panties off of a bridesmaid.

Finally, I am about to start job hunting and some of my good suit pants are a little snug. Hey, a guy has got to look good on a job interview; no one really wants to hire some overweight slob.

Anyway, here are some stats.

Weight: 231
Height: An irrelevant 6�??
Belly: 38�??
Waist: 36�??

Goal: To finish the four weeks of the V-Diet at 210 lbs and get as close to 200 lbs as I can during the three weeks of the transition phase.

Anyway, today is day two. So far it has been easy, but I expected it to be. I realize that the challenging portion is going to be Saturday this week and the latter part of week two.

Good luck to you! I’m sure you’ll make it through and hit your goals.

[quote]CharlieStrange wrote:
Also, a thinner me has a much better chance talking the panties off of a bridesmaid.
[/quote]

Ha ha. Very funny! Keep your sense of humor during the VDiet–it helps a lot if you can laugh at yourself–and others–as they eat Chinese takeout right in front of you. The bastards.

Happy shakin’!

Ditto on what Kristen said. Have fun!

[quote]Kristen518 wrote:
CharlieStrange wrote:
Also, a thinner me has a much better chance talking the panties off of a bridesmaid.

Ha ha. Very funny! Keep your sense of humor during the VDiet–it helps a lot if you can laugh at yourself–and others–as they eat Chinese takeout right in front of you. The bastards.

Happy shakin’![/quote]

That would be brutal, I dig Chinese food.

Anyway, I am halfway through the third day and am really anticipating my three o’clock strawberry shake. Important note to self, avoid mixing your flax with the banana flavored shake. It makes the shake blander than Jessica Simpson’s acting career. Okay, I lied, nothing is that bland.

My workout last night kicked my rear. It wasn’t the load, or capacity, but rather the order of the exercises that simply destroyed me. My first superset consisted of bulgarian split squats and pull-ups.

I have been trying to put split squats and lunges first in my workout because I really hate them, mostly because I absolutely suck at them. Anyway, I got through that superset fine but it really made deadlifting tough. I had that super dizzy feeling halfway through the third set. It was pretty awesome.

Alright, off to drink my shake. Thanks for all the encouragement!

Charlie,

Me too on the chinese food, that would be my weakness. So don’t be coming by with a plate full. We’re in competion remember?

Keep shaking and moving along. maybe the third time around will be a charm.

fitnesslady

By the time I got home from school last night and it was raining pretty steadily. So instead of going outside for my NEPA walk I just walked briskly up and down my stairs for 45 minutes. You know what is terribly boring? Walking up and down stairs for 45 minutes. Even my Zune couldn�??t save me from that repetitive hell. But, while walking, I looked down at my belly and imagined it shrinking and the light exercise seemed pretty freaking worthwhile.

This morning I awoke to a massive graving for eggs, bacon and a bagel. So I made my chocolate shake with a little natty peanut butter. That, coupled with the realization that I was running a little bit late for class, killed the craving entirely. It is strange how hunger disappears when a sense of urgency arises.

Anyway, day four is about half-way over and everything is going smoothly. If I have time I may lift tonight. I�??m scheduled again until tomorrow but I really feel like going down to my basement and moving some heavy (well, heavy for me, light for some) weights around.

Good for you about thinking about adaption and getting in some sort of NEPA. I am lucky, I have a really nice tread mill at home if it rains.

I have been lucky with the cravings department. Actually nothing sounds good yet! I am sure my time will be coming.

I definately feel like I am shinking, but the scale and tape measure will tell me this Saturday. I felt so good I even wore a straight jean skirt today, which is more form fitting. Usually I avoid things like this while I know my weight is up.

Shake baby, Shake and keep trucking along.

fitnesslady

Day five and my recently bought blue jeans are already fitting a little looser. How awesome is that?

Anyway, so far so good. The diet has been pretty easy this week, however, the obstacle of the weekend looms ahead. Fortunately, I get to dig into an HSM on Sunday night. I am really going to be strict with my HSMs this time around. The first time around I completed the diet but I really didn’t get too many of the taste/craving changes. I attribute this to cheating during my HSM.

Last night I didn’t get home from class early enough to lift (if I don’t start lifting until after 9:00pm I have trouble sleeping) so I just went for my NEPA walk. No big deal really since I originally scheduled myself to lift tonight and tomorrow anyhow. Maybe I’ll throw in some burpees (or some of Kristen’s vicious side planks) just to make things interesting.

Well, that is enough for now. I’ll sip on my orange MB and pop a couple flameouts while I check up on all of my V-Diet peeps. Have a good Friday.

Where to start? How about with a Friday night recap?

I hit the dungeon (the corny name my sister gave my basement gym) after work last night. Boy, did I kick my ass. I finished my main workout and realized I hadn’t done the burpees I told myself I was going to do. So I popped out fifteen of those and then figured I should do some of Kristen’s evil side planks. Then I rinsed and repeated two more times. By the third set of burpees I could barely get off the ground.

When I finished I was shaking so bad that I just started pacing in my basement while sipping on my Surge. By the time I snapped out of the post workout funk I had been pacing for almost an hour (I’ll mark it down as an extra NEPA walk).

This morning I woke with no appetite. Still, I forced down a shake on my way to school wondering how I was going to lift again today.

Turns put it was easy. By the time I was done with class I was ready to hit the weights again. Surprisingly, I had another kick ass workout.

In diet news…so far it has been a cake walk. I turned down tacos, beer, Chipotle, and an invitation to PF Changs tonight already without much of a second thought. My biggest obstacle has been forcing the shakes down sometimes.

Anyway, off to read your posts and then take a nap. Soldier on guys!

Still haven’t done burpees or the planks. You made me feel kind of funky just reading about your experience! LOL!

I find some mornings too, I have no appetite and I am a breakfast eater.

Glad to hear your workouts are strong. Mine seem to start out slow, but end up strong. I really think the Surge helps me get thru and fills my glycogen stores when I need it most.

Good for you for turning the junk food down. That is why I planned the V-Diet the way I did, second week hubby gone. I am home all alone and loving it! SSHH don’t tell my man I said that!

I am staying strong after my bummer weigh in, but I am moving on the V-Diet way.

Party on…

fitnesslady

[quote]fitnesslady wrote:
Still haven’t done burpees or the planks. You made me feel kind of funky just reading about your experience! LOL!
[/quote]

Both are pretty brutal.

I helped my friend move this morning. Boy, was it brutal. Lots of stairs and lots of heavy oak furniture. My body really didn’t want to help pick up heavy armiors (probably spelled that incorrectly) and wardrobes after dead lifting yesterday, still, I managed to get her moved in just fine.

I did down a scoop of Surge afterward though, but only because I earned that shit.

My HSM is tonight and I already have started to prepare one of my favorite healthy meals: Ginger and Soy Grilled Chicken with Sweet Chile Cucumber Pickles. Here are the recipes if anyone wants it.

Ginger and Soy Grilled Chicken

2 chicken breasts pounded thin
1 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup EVOO
2 tbs cup dark sesame oil
juice of a half of lime
a little (an inch or two) fresh ginger, chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
1/4 cilantro, chopped

Put all of the ingredients in a freezer bag and allow it to marinate for at least an hour (you can actually freeze the chicken in the marinade for a couple weeks).

Once it is done marinading, salt and pepper the bad boys and throw them on the grill.

Sweet Chile Cucumber Pickles

2 cucumbers (preferably hot house, but regulars work) sliced thin
2 fresh hot red chilies
2 handfuls of mint leaves
2 cups rice vinegar
4 teaspoons splenda

Combine cucumbers, chilies, and mint in a bowl. Pour in the vinegar, sprinkle with splenda, salt and pepper. Toss and refrigerate overnight. This makes a ton of cucumbers. I’ll probably have a cup of them tonight and take the rest to work for my coworkers tomorrow.

DAMN CS! You just made me hungry. I sentence you to 482 evil side planks!

Keep on rocking, buddy–you’re doing great!

Weigh in and measurments today.

Weight: 224 (-7)
Belly: 38" (0)
Waist: 35 1/4" (-3/4)

I’m pretty happy with the changes despite not having numbers to back up belly fat loss. However, even though the tape measurer doesn’t show any results my belly has gotten noticably softer in the center. This is good because I typically carry that evil hard visceral fat aroung in that area.

I know that this upcoming week is going to be full of trials and temptations, so it is time to really keep busy and will myself through it.

[quote]Kristen518 wrote:
DAMN CS! You just made me hungry. I sentence you to 482 evil side planks!

Keep on rocking, buddy–you’re doing great![/quote]

Thanks Kristen. One of the things that I hate about being fat is that I cannot claim ignorance in facet of nutrition or fitness knowledge. I have enjoyed athletic pursuits most of my life. I have been weight lifting on and off since i was eighteen. And, not only do I know how to eat right, I am a pretty decent cook. How can I justify being a fatty. I can’t. Hopefully this is the first step to discovering my six pack once again. I know i have gotten a lot stronger in the four years since it dissappeared so I am excited to see what I have underneath that blubber.

I haven’t been sleeping well since starting the V-Diet. In the past I don’t remember having such troubles, but this time it has been brutal. I actually skipped class (I haven’t missed a class in over two years) because I really just needed an extra hour of sleep this morning.

Maybe I should buy some Z-12. Has anyone had similar problems and used this supplement to help them?

Otherwise, still plugging along. I had an alright lifting session last night, though I had problems making the last two reps of my final set of both squats and overhead presses.

Is it bad that I am already thinking about my HSM?

I had some issues with sleep, leading UP to the V-Diet, but I bought some Melatonin, which I started taking the same day as the V-Diet. I really only had one or two bad sleep nights, but I think it was because I was working out at 9:00pm, and trying to fall asleep after a hardcore workout AND NEPA. I was too jacked.

Haven’t tried the Z-12–but I can definitely recommend the Melatonin.

Hang in there–the HSM is coming!

Hey Charlie,

Been having the trouble with the sleeping alos, but I figured it was the diet and meno. for me. (don’t think you have that problem) I upped my 5-HTP last night to two. Slept really hard, then woke up and laid there wide awake. Don’t no what time, because I can’t see clock without my glasses and too lazy to get up and look at two inches away!!!

I think the Z-12 has the same ingredient in 5-HTP, but it has a long name and since I have been taking for some time, decided I would not order supplment. I think either would work. I also take magnesium at night. I might try upping that also.

As tough of day I had, I actually got thru my lifts, but I claim that help on the Surge. It supplies what I need at that time.

Hey I am thinking about my HSM too. I had such a clean low calorie one, that maybe this time I’ll go for a little more gusto. Hubby will be home and I am thinking bacon wrapped sirloin and asparagus with olive oil. HMMM! Of course hubby will get hashbrowns and corn. Don’t really miss either of these. I do like the crispy hashbrowns I sometimes get, but that is about it.

Well I am back on track and hope you stay the same. Days 7 & 8 were bummers for me.

fitnesslady

[quote]Kristen518 wrote:
I had some issues with sleep, leading UP to the V-Diet, but I bought some Melatonin, which I started taking the same day as the V-Diet. I really only had one or two bad sleep nights, but I think it was because I was working out at 9:00pm, and trying to fall asleep after a hardcore workout AND NEPA. I was too jacked.

Haven’t tried the Z-12–but I can definitely recommend the Melatonin.

Hang in there–the HSM is coming![/quote]

I think I’ll give the melatonin a shot first. That way I can just pick it up at the local vitamin store.

Thanks for the advice and support Kristen!

[quote]fitnesslady wrote:
Hey Charlie,

Been having the trouble with the sleeping alos, but I figured it was the diet and meno. for me. (don’t think you have that problem) I upped my 5-HTP last night to two. Slept really hard, then woke up and laid there wide awake. Don’t no what time, because I can’t see clock without my glasses and too lazy to get up and look at two inches away!!!

I think the Z-12 has the same ingredient in 5-HTP, but it has a long name and since I have been taking for some time, decided I would not order supplment. I think either would work. I also take magnesium at night. I might try upping that also.

As tough of day I had, I actually got thru my lifts, but I claim that help on the Surge. It supplies what I need at that time.

Hey I am thinking about my HSM too. I had such a clean low calorie one, that maybe this time I’ll go for a little more gusto. Hubby will be home and I am thinking bacon wrapped sirloin and asparagus with olive oil. HMMM! Of course hubby will get hashbrowns and corn. Don’t really miss either of these. I do like the crispy hashbrowns I sometimes get, but that is about it.

Well I am back on track and hope you stay the same. Days 7 & 8 were bummers for me.

fitnesslady[/quote]

Mmmmm, crispy haskbrowns. Love me some some hashbrowns right about now.

I have been lifting in the evenings for years and haven’t had a problem sleeping until these last two weeks. Thanks for the suggestions! Keep on goin FL!

Honestly, me neither. 9:00pm was always my workout time. I’d get home around 11:00, shower and be in bed by 11:30, and up again at 5am…everyday. But I read a few other threads about the sleep thing, so I’m glad I was ready for it! That, for me, is worse than anything. It had to be the V-Diet–whether it was physical or mental. I’m not having the same problem now during the Transition–so at least you can look forward to that, hopefully!