Biotest

V-Diet & 5/3/1

I’m considering the V-Diet for a pre-wedding weight cut, but I don’t want to switch training methods. I’ve been doing 5/3/1 for a while and have had tremendous results. I don’t like program hopping and would prefer to continue 5/3/1 albeit probably with a little less volume since there is such a big calorie restriction. Any issues with that?

Also, would it be reasonable to supplement Surge Recover with FiniBars? I’m thinking that having the Finibars would be almost like a treat and mentally help me get through the day if I have something like that to look forward to.

Since both the V-Diet training plan and 5/3/1 are similar when it comes to days per week training, that might work okay. Of course, you’re mixing a pure strength-gain lifting plan with a pure fat loss diet, so don’t expect ultimate fat loss or strength gains, though you will lose fat.

The V-Diet is partly designed to get rid of bad dietary habits, food addictions, and cravings, forever. Part of how that works is by having no solid food outside of the HSMs. While Finibars are fine for most fat loss diets, the fact that you chew them disrupts part of the mechanism behind the V-Diet’s long term effects. Now, if you don’t have those dietary problems to solve, it could be done, but you’d need to adjust the number of shakes. If you’re talking about replacing Surge Recovery with Finibars, that won’t have the exact same effect we’re after with a post-workout drink.

Add all that together, and I honestly hate to see you “partially” combine two separate plans. Have you considered something like a twice per week, off-day Pulse Fast? That’s where you drink 6 servings of Mag-10 two days per week on non-consecutive days and have no solid food. We’re currently updating the plan so it’s not on the site, but that’s gist. You could do this on two non-lifting days and do only do a short bout of Predator Conditioning on those days to accelerate fat loss. http://www.t-nation.com/training/predator-conditioning

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Since both the V-Diet training plan and 5/3/1 are similar when it comes to days per week training, that might work okay. Of course, you’re mixing a pure strength-gain lifting plan with a pure fat loss diet, so don’t expect ultimate fat loss or strength gains, though you will lose fat.

The V-Diet is partly designed to get rid of bad dietary habits, food addictions, and cravings, forever. Part of how that works is by having no solid food outside of the HSMs. While Finibars are fine for most fat loss diets, the fact that you chew them disrupts part of the mechanism behind the V-Diet’s long term effects. Now, if you don’t have those dietary problems to solve, it could be done, but you’d need to adjust the number of shakes. If you’re talking about replacing Surge Recovery with Finibars, that won’t have the exact same effect we’re after with a post-workout drink.

Add all that together, and I honestly hate to see you “partially” combine two separate plans. Have you considered something like a twice per week, off-day Pulse Fast? That’s where you drink 6 servings of MAG-10 two days per week on non-consecutive days and have no solid food. We’re currently updating the plan so it’s not on the site, but that’s gist. You could do this on two non-lifting days and do only do a short bout of Predator Conditioning on those days to accelerate fat loss. http://www.T-Nation.com/training/predator-conditioning[/quote]

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the feedback. I’m a few months out from when I would be starting it so I just wanted some feedback on the Finibar versus Surge Recovery. Based on what you said I would just do the program as written. I don’t have any real addictions to deal with, but it seems better to do it as planned.

RE 5/3/1 & V-Diet: I definitely wouldn’t look for any strength gains during that time. Basically i would just hope to maintain as much strength as possible during that time. It’s only 28 days, so I’m not too worried about losing any strength.