Biotest

V-Diet 3.0 - Here We Go!

Hi everyone,

I’m a long time T-Nation reader, back in the days when it was known as t-mag. To make a long story short, I recently stopped going to the gym since January to concentrate on my doctoral dissertation. Diet was totally crappy. I did let myself go. Now that the writing is done, it’s time to get this blubber off!

I’ve always struggled with weight, and as you can see, I store majority of my fat around my navel area. At my leanest point, where I can see my four-pack, nothing I could do would get rid of that spare tire around my navel. I was on a T-Dawg diet then, and was doing morning HIIT. I think I lost a lot of muscles then. That was about 5yrs ago. Now that I’m more financially secure, I can finally able to afford to do the V-Diet 3.0 with all the right supplements.

My V-Diet supplements are sitting in Fedex warehouse today and they can’t be picked be because they’re not sorted out yet. That’s what the customer rep at fedex told me. I was a bit pissed about that. But not wanting to wait any longer, I started today with what I have. I will go on the proper V-Diet supplements tomorrow when it’s delivered. Here are my stats:

Ethnicity - Asian Chinese
Height - 5’ 10"
Weight - 175
Neck - 15.25
Shoulder - 45.25
Chest Upper - 40
Chest - Lower - 39
Waist - Navel - 38
Waist - Largest - 38
Upper Arm L - 14
Upper Arm R - 14.25
Upper Leg L - 23.5
Upper Leg R - 24
Lower Leg L - 15
Lower Leg R - 14.5
Ankle L - 10
Ankle R - 9.5

I’m not clear how to measure at the right spots. For example, where is considered upper arm? Where is considered upper and lower leg, etc? I have myotape coming in a few days and I will remeasure again. I could use some guidance on where to measure though (as in the right place on my arm, leg etc.)

Since my supplements are not here yet, I am using Optimum Nutrition’s Whey and Casein. For breakfast, I have:

ON Whey - 30g
ON Casein - 30g
Milled Flax - 2tbsp (1 serving)
ON Amino Caps - to replace Leucine
Flameout - 1 softgel
Fiber Choice - 1 tablet
HOT-ROX Extreme - 1 cap
Alpha Male - 1 cap

According to the app on my phone’s calculation, I ingested 337 Calories this morning. Looking forward to today’s workout!

Chris - is psyllium husks OK to add as part of my fiber intake? If so, what’s an optimal amount per each meal? I’ve been taking them regularly, and want to incorporate them into the V-Diet. Thanks.

[quote]sooby77 wrote:
where is considered upper arm? Where is considered upper and lower leg, etc?[/quote]

Doesn’t matter- just keep measuring in the same place consistently throughout the process.

Day 2 of V-Diet. Biotest supplement is scheduled to be delivered possibly in the next couple of hours. So far so good. I’ve done low carb diet before and this is not bad at all. The only thing is that I’m still having trouble with taking HOT-ROX Extreme on an empty stomach. The feeling of nausea is not fun. I’ve read that Chris have this problem as well. I’ll have to take half my shake and then take HOT-ROX as he did.

I did my NEPA on the treadmill (inclined) after my workout yesterday. Not sure if that’s a good idea. That delayed Surge until after the NEPA. I may have to split the NEPA and workout the next time.

@reactiontm - thanks for the response.

Supplements from Biotest arrived late this afternoon. Had my first shake with Chocolate Metabolic Drive, Leucine, and Superfood. I’m not fan of the flavor combo. But I will suck it up and deal with it.

I think I’m overdoing NEPA. I strived to walk at 1.0 incline, between 3.7-3.8 mph. That was exhausting. I may have to slow down a bit. I was sweating a storm this afternoon during the NEPA. I think NEPA is not supposed to be a big cardio workout, and the way I’m doing it is turning into one!

The irony this afternoon during NEPA at the gym is that at any point, there’s at least a few TV with food advertisements. As I was listening to All Things Considered on NPR, the segment was about bread and it’s influence geo-politically. Then a bit later, there was a story on french fries/potato lobbying on school lunches on the capitol hill.

Talk about temptations!

[quote]sooby77 wrote:
The irony this afternoon during NEPA at the gym is that at any point, there’s at least a few TV with food advertisements. As I was listening to All Things Considered on NPR, the segment was about bread and it’s influence geo-politically. Then a bit later, there was a story on french fries/potato lobbying on school lunches on the capitol hill.

Talk about temptations![/quote]

This is why I watch netflix and started bringing my ZuneHD to watch my own tv shows and movies haha! Either that or I turn on some music festival mix and close my eyes!

Hey good luck man, I am also a grad student who is just starting the V-diet. 2 days in, and I must say I’ve never noticed how many commercials are for food. The process is quite interesting.

Best of luck and go for it, and props for putting pics up online (much braver than me!)

I must say that I’m hyper-sensitive about food commercials now. It’s incredible the amount of commercials that are centered around food! Noticing it a lot on TV tonight.

@KcThrows - I enjoy listening to NPR, so I try to tune in whenever possible. I hope there’s no more food stories tomorrow!

@dcolacu1 - Not as brave as you think I am. That’s why you don’t see my face! Ha! But I am looking forward to seeing my weekly progress with photos.

Day 3 on V-Diet. No problems with low carb. Minimal cravings. But man, that low carb, protein shake only meal is really kicking my ass in the gym. I took 2 HRX 1/2hr before workout and that was a bad idea. I was dizzy within 10minutes into my reverse lunge. I believe the issue is my blood pressure. I don’t believe I have high blood pressure problems, but I was sweating a storm, dizzy and thought I was going to puke. I had to sit down after every set, and take longer rests. At one point, I feel a small pain in my right ear drum.

I don’t think I can handle 2 HRX. I will have to back off to 1. I feel weak in the gym and I’m using FAR less weight than I’m used to. embarrassed

[quote]sooby77 wrote:
Day 3 on V-Diet. No problems with low carb. Minimal cravings. But man, that low carb, protein shake only meal is really kicking my ass in the gym. I took 2 HRX 1/2hr before workout and that was a bad idea. I was dizzy within 10minutes into my reverse lunge. I believe the issue is my blood pressure. I don’t believe I have high blood pressure problems, but I was sweating a storm, dizzy and thought I was going to puke. I had to sit down after every set, and take longer rests. At one point, I feel a small pain in my right ear drum.

I don’t think I can handle 2 HRX. I will have to back off to 1. I feel weak in the gym and I’m using FAR less weight than I’m used to. embarrassed[/quote]

You are experiencing first-hand the difficulty of the V-Diet workout plan. Very few people (myself included) think that the workouts are challenging enough because they seem so simple prior to starting the diet and actually doing the workouts.
Don’t worry about the amount of weight, just focus on being true to the protocol. Push explosively, stop when you slow down (don’t grind it out), and be meticulous about the rest periods, don’t give yourself an extra 10 seconds here and there.

I’m also on day 3. I have been training like a powerlifter for the last year so I’m used to laying into 1-3 reps and taking long rest periods. This is almost like re-learning how to work out.

The V-Diet workouts are deceptively simple, and quite harsh. Today I was also haunted by the “puke ghost” but luckily pulled myself together. You might have a bad reaction to the HOT-ROX at that dose.

I had to cut the weights I use as well. I figure it comes with the territory since the rest periods are short. Applying extra force to a lighter weight is better than struggling and grinding.

I can handle 2 HRX on a non-workout day, the heart does going a bit faster than usual as if I just had a strong cup of coffee, but no dizzying or nausea. But that combo with the workout is not good for me. I think my blood pressure is the issue. I think I’ll do 2 HRX on non-workout days, but lay off to 1 on workout days.

Is it wrong that I am enjoying the Fiber Choice Sugar Free tab a bit too much? They are like a candy treat each time I have a V-Diet meal! Yum!

Had my meal #4 a bit early (about 5PM) today before NEPA. Hungry now. So I’m drinking Trader Joe’s Mint Melange tea. Perhaps that will suppress my hunger!

[quote]sooby77 wrote:
Is it wrong that I am enjoying the Fiber Choice Sugar Free tab a bit too much? They are like a candy treat each time I have a V-Diet meal! Yum![/quote]

They really are like a nice treat! It’s still my first day on the V-Diet but I think I had my first real problem…parents and siblings came home with pizza, bacon pizza…and than they ate the rest of my last meal sweet bbq grilled wings /cry

right after that I locked my bedroom door, had a tab, and put Ricky Bruchs “The Soul is Greater than the World” on lmao

Keep it up though! Stay strong! You guys are all my motivation!

Day 5

It was tough this evening. I have bouts of hunger followed by nausea, back and forth… . I drank Meal #4 and it tasted gross. I wanted more flavor in the shake. Regardless, I didn’t throw up. Spent some time looking at the before and after pics and that was really motivating. I WANT to be that person! Damn it! I will soldier on!!

I’m really looking forward to HSM tomorrow. I’m already planning what to eat. Maybe two pieces of grilled chicken breast with some boiled eggs on top of a HUGE bed of mixed greens! Yum! It’s not smart to be thinking of food when you are hungry!

[quote]sooby77 wrote:
Day 5

It was tough this evening. I have bouts of hunger followed by nausea, back and forth… . I drank Meal #4 and it tasted gross. I wanted more flavor in the shake. Regardless, I didn’t throw up. Spent some time looking at the before and after pics and that was really motivating. I WANT to be that person! Damn it! I will soldier on!!

I’m really looking forward to HSM tomorrow. I’m already planning what to eat. Maybe two pieces of grilled chicken breast with some boiled eggs on top of a HUGE bed of mixed greens! Yum! It’s not smart to be thinking of food when you are hungry![/quote]

Sounds good, make sure you get a healthy carb source though.

Just be warned, you will get full very, very quickly. I ended up making a lot more food than I was able to eat. Chew slowly and really enjoy you meal. Most importantly, stop eating when you are full.

[quote]hockeydawg wrote:

Sounds good, make sure you get a healthy carb source though.

Just be warned, you will get full very, very quickly. I ended up making a lot more food than I was able to eat. Chew slowly and really enjoy you meal. Most importantly, stop eating when you are full. [/quote]

I might cook a small portion of quinoa. I have it handy in the house. I’ve been pretty good so far. I have not had any diet soda etc. The only thing I have had is tea, which is something I have on a regular basis. And no, it’s not sweet tea. Being in the south, sweet tea is like white rice in Asia!

Sounds like you’re moving along. I just fried my legs when doing the front squats in workout #3. My extra drink of choice has been diet snapple ice tea.

My first HSM is going to be at a steakhouse, will be great.

Reading Shugart’s articles helps me stay focused.

Keep it up!