Biotest

Turning 30: Brian's V-Diet

Alright, today is Sunday, April 19th, 2009. I’m beginning my transformation starting tomorrow. So I thought I’d log in all of my stats now instead of Monday morning. Not much will change from now until then since I eat relatively healthy about 90% of the time.

Height: 6’0
Weight: 217 lbs
Neck: 16"
Shoulders: 51"
Chest - @ Nipples: 44.5"
Waist - at Navel: 39"
Waist - at largest: 39"
Hips/Butt - at largest: 43"
Upper Arm - L: 14.75"
Upper Arm - R: 15"
Upper Leg - L: 25.5"
Upper Leg - R: 25.5"
Lower Leg - L: 16.75"
Lower Leg - R: 17.25"
Ankle - L: 10.5"
Ankle - R: 10.5"

So a little background. I’ve been an athlete since I was old enough to join a team. After high school, I found martial arts and gymnastics to be my sports. Mediocre at best, but still I love to practice and occasionally compete in the Wushu Martial Arts arena.

With the dreaded transformation from 20-something to 30 approaching rapidly, I was quickly falling into depression. So I decided to turn my 30th birthday into an opportunity. I stumbled upon a picture of myself at 21 years old. I was a pretty fit 165 lbs at the time. I decided I was going to look even better at 30 than I did at 21…minus a little hair, of course.

Well, I let my twin brother in on this little challenge and he decided to join in. After a little taunting on both sides, this has become a full on challenge! We’re no longer going to strive for who can look the best. We’re throwing in a series of events to test both strength and endurance.

Our birthday is getting close, and I’m happy with the level of strength I’ve obtained, so now I need to shed the rest of the excess fat. I have high hopes for the Velocity Diet and Training program.

Looks like you have a solid base under there. Should make for some impressive “after” pics. Keep us updated!

Day 1: Advanced Program

Bent-Over Barbell Row - underhand grip
Weight: 225 lbs
Sets/Reps: 5,4,4,3,2,2

Overhead Squats
Weight: 135 lbs
Sets/Reps: 5,4,4,4,3

Dips
Weight: BW +45 lb dumbbell
Sets/Reps: 5,5,5,5

Hand Walkouts - from toes (lack of ab whee @ gyml)
Weight: BW
Sets/Reps: 10,6,4

God I can’t believe how much I love overhead squats while simultaneously hating the fact that I can barely balance the 135 lbs while going parallel. I imagine my weight will go up on this as my shoulder stability increases. I’m hoping that I can handle 185 lbs by the end of the program.

What sucks about my gym is that they have neither a weight belt nor an ab-wheel. I’ll get an ab-wheel of my own this weekend, I suppose. But I think i like the idea of using a dumbbell instead of a weight belt for the dips. It’ll engage my core a little bit more trying to hold the dumbbell up and steady.

I nearly forgot to do a NEPA walk today. I didn’t realize they were required on lifting days as well. But I managed to put in a 25 minute walk at work on my lunch break. I won’t forget again and will probably go for 45+ minutes from now on.

The only problem I see with the diet portion is that everything, and I mean everything, tastes sweet. There’s no salty/savory tastes aside from the addition of the almond butter to the last shake. Even Fiber Choice tastes like a chalkier version of smarties. I’ll grow sick of sweets very quickly. Perhaps that’s a good thing for when the HSM comes around.

This is gonna be one hell of a transformation.

Day 2: Advanced Program

Okay, today I felt pretty hungry most of the day. That really sux when your GF is an excellent cook and still continues to eat her gourmet stuff. The smells alone could drive me crazy.

I’m wondering if it’s recommended to take one Fiber Choice with each meal?

I did 2 NEPA walks today. 20 minutes during my lunch break at a swift pace and then 45 minutes in the evening with my GF and dog at a slightly slower pace. I think from now on I’ll do 2 1/2 miles in the morning at my own pace and then walk again in the evening with my GF and dog.

Day 3: Advanced Program

Today…was…hell!

Started off good. Walked 2.4 miles in the morning in about 35 minutes. Watched the recent episode of Deadliest Warrior, too. Watching the Spartan vs the Ninja got me pumped to workout hard. THIS…IS…SPARTAAA!

Pull-Up
Sets/Reps: 8, 8, 8, 6, 4, 3, 3
These were easier than they used to be.

Incline Bench Press
Weight: 175 lbs
Sets/Reps: 9, 8, 7, 4, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2
I had to substitute barbell over dumbbell. The DB’s at my gym don’t go high enough to hit my 8-9 RM

Romanian Deadlift
Weight: 275 -> 225
Sets/Reps: 9, 6, 5, 1, 1, 4, drop to 225, 7, 7
This kicked my ass in the worst way. I was dizzy, winded, and I had to take a 2 minute break and drop to 225 to finish out. I don’t know if I should stick to 275 next week as long as possible or just start out at a lower weight.

Barbell Curl
Weight: 80 lbs
Sets/Reps: 8, 8, 8, 6, 4, 4, 2
Not bad. If i wasn’t so exhausted I could’ve handled the 90 lb BB.

Hanging Knee Raise
Sets/Reps: 8, 8, 8, 8, 8
Here’s where the problem began. Hanging Knee Raises are easy. I’m going to go to Leg Raises next week. First set was great. Second set…well, after hopping up to the bar, my left calf got the worst charley horse I’ve ever felt in my life. I spent 5 minutes massaging and gently stretching it until it relaxed enough to stand on. Then I finished the rest of my sets with a feeling of disgust and contempt for myself.

Medium day is about 200% harder than Heavy Day for me. It always has been. I’m not even sure what to do about the NEPA tomorrow. I don’t want to go at it too soon and worsen my charley horse. I’ve still got a calf that feels like a rock and it’s nearly 3 hours later. I iced my calf for 20 minutes while elevating it, too. I can only hope that if I put my NEPA off until tomorrow evening, the full 24 hour rest will give me the ability to walk for the minimum amount of time.

As far as the diet…hungry as hell again. But I’m guessing my body will adjust in a couple more days.

Day 4: Advanced Program

My calf feels like I did 1,000 single leg calf raises today. That charlie horse was a fuckin’ killer. I didn’t really want to push it on the NEPA. Hopefully a day of very light activity will help in the longer run.

I purchased a potassium supplement after reviewing the diet’s nutritional analysis. 33% RDA seems a little low when doing vigorous workouts. I’m upping the amount of potassium throughout the day in hopes of preventing any further depletions that could lead to another charlie horse or muscle spasm.

Today’s NEPA was 35 minutes of leisurely walking. Pushing to a swift pace seemed like tempting fate.

Hunger seems to be constant, save for about 20-30 minutes after a shake is consumed. Really looking forward to the black pepper crusted filet mignon on Sunday.

Day 5: Advanced Program

ATG Front Squat
Weight: 185 lbs
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 2
Needed to go slightly lower than normal to not risk overdoing it on my calf muscle

Bench Press - Close Grip
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 3
I think I’ll stick with this weight for next week

Weighted Chin-Up
Weight: BW +35lb DB
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 2, 1, 2, 1
Having to grip a dumbbell with my feet makes this harder for the first rep of every set.

Push Press - Barbell
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 5, 5, 3, 2
I’m going up 20 lbs next week.

I was only really hungry once today. That’s a huge improvement over the last few days. Judging from my workout today, I think it’s okay to go full out on Monday.

My NEPA was a 45 minute medium paced walk over various terrain. Felt good.

I’m anxious to weigh and measure, but I’ll wait until Sunday morning.

Day 6: Advanced Program

V-Challenge - 42 min 30 sec

Leave it to Waterbury to design a challenge to remind you how much of a Spartan you’re NOT!

This was a killer workout. I felt my heart pound so hard so many times. I nearly lost consciousness a couple times and nearly vomited a couple times.

But if it’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s to rejoice whenever you find something you’re weak at. Once you’ve identified a weak point, you can work on it to make yourself stronger that much quicker. I’m stepping up the NEPA in week 2 now that my calf is all but healed.

Day 7: Advanced Program

NEPA - 60 minutes all terrains

I also walked all over the Pet Beach today as well.

It’s strange how I haven’t been nearly as hungry over the weekend as I am when I’m at work. I’m really looking forward to my HSM tonight. It’ll be my 4th meal.

Appetizer: Large spinach salad w/ balsamic vinegar dressing
Protein: 14 oz black pepper crusted filet mignon
Carb: Sweet Potato Fries
Veggies: A mountain of Broccoli, Garlic, Olive Oil and Sea Salt
Dessert: Small Bowl of Mixed Fruit.

The suspense is killing me.

I know the image appears small, but apparently clicking on it brings up the larger version in a new window.

RESULTS: WEEK 1

Height: 6’0
Weight: 217 lbs > 212.8 lbs
Neck: 16" > 15.25"
Shoulders: 51" = 51"
Chest - @ Nipples: 44.5" > 44"
Waist - at Navel: 39" > 37.5"
Waist - at largest: 39" > 38"
Hips/Butt - at largest: 43" > 41.75"
Upper Arm - L: 14.75" = 14.75"
Upper Arm - R: 15" = 15"
Upper Leg - L: 25.5" = 25.5"
Upper Leg - R: 25.5" = 25.5"
Lower Leg - L: 16.75" > 16.5"
Lower Leg - R: 17.25" > 17"
Ankle - L: 10.5" > 9.5"
Ankle - R: 10.5" > 9.5"

I never noticed how my left shoulder hangs differently than my right shoulder. Posture issue?

Other issues, I believe I measured my ankles wrong the first week. I think I was supposed to measure just above the bone. In which case, i don’t think there’s any change.

I don’t know how the fuck I lost a quarter inch on both calves. They’ve always seemed rather solid. I hope it was just a miscalculation the first week. We’ll see after the 2nd week is over.

I’m pleased overall to have lost slightly over 4 lbs. Especially since it came off of my waist and oversized ass.

Sorry, the back picture from the start was wrong. Here’s the correct image.

Wow, that side pic is awesome! The front one is great too, but the side pic REALLY shows the progress.

As for your calves, I always just measure the largest part - though I know guys are more picky about their calves

[quote]Polsen714 wrote:
Wow, that side pic is awesome! The front one is great too, but the side pic REALLY shows the progress.

As for your calves, I always just measure the largest part - though I know guys are more picky about their calves[/quote]

Thanks. I was pleasantly surprised to see that -4 lbs makes even that big of a visual difference.

I’ve been involved in gymnastics and extreme martial arts for so long that I can’t imagine I had any fat on my calves to begin with, let alone a quarter inch worth on each.

I’m just going to monitor the difference between week 1 and 2 to make sure if it wasn’t just an error on the start stat.

Also, I think from now on I’ll just create a spreadsheet image to log changes. It looks so confusing trying to read the number progression the way i have it typed in.

Day 8: Advanced Program

Bent-Over Barbell Row - underhand grip
Weight: 225 lbs
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 4, 3, 3

Overhead Squat
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 5, 5
going up next week

Dip
Weight: BW +55 lbs
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 5, 5

Hand Walkouts
Sets/Reps: 10, 5, 5

Workout felt pretty good today. I felt like crap through most of the day, though. I think I’m going to go for a walk soon to stay in the sun and get some more fresh air and exercise.

Day 9: Advanced Program

I was going to get up and do my walk first thing in the morning. I find it harder and harder to get up each morning, though. So I got up, and about 30 seconds later came back into the room and fell right back asleep for another hour. I feel so crappy.

To compensate for the missed NEPA this morning, I walked 2 times today and plan on a 3rd one in the evening.

20 minutes at a swift pace around 11:00 a.m.
30 minutes at a swift pace around 2:00 p.m.

I’m also going to walk at a medium pace with my girlfriend and my dog tonight. It’s about 1.5 miles on the course she likes.

I hope when I wake up tomorrow morning I’ll feel a little better. The constant hunger is starting to become quite annoying.

Day 10: Advanced Program

Pull-Up
Sets/Reps: 9, 9, 9, 6, 4, 3
Getting easier

Incline Bench Press
Weight: 175 lbs
Sets/Reps: 9, 9, 7, 5, 3, 4, 3

Romanian Deadlift
Sets/Reps: 9, 9, 6, 5, 4, 3, 4
Backed way down on the weight. Grip endurance is a limiting factor since I’m used to working in the 3-5 rep range.

Barbell Curl
Weight: 90 lbs
Sets/Reps: 9, 9, 8, 6, 5, 3
90 is the heaviest preset barbell they have. I’ll stick with it for at least another week.

Hanging Leg Raise
Sets/Reps: 9, 8, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4
My grip was so tired that it slowed down the potential of most of the sets. But towards the end, it was my quad that was weakening.

Overall a much better workout than last week’s attempt at the mid-day. I felt a lot better on the Pull-ups and the RDL’s this week as well. No NEPA for the day. Disappointed in myself.

Everyday I wake up I feel crappier and crappier. I’m completely not used to operating in the 1500 to 1900 calorie range. I haven’t consumed below 3000 in a long time. I thought I’d be adjusted by now, but apparently not. If it weren’t for HOT-ROX I’m thinking I’d fall asleep at the wheel on the way to work.

Day 11: Advanced Program

Not much to write. Same feelings, same problems.

NEPA: 35 minutes

Hamstrings are killing me. A soft stretch tonight will do me some good.

Day 12: Advanced Program

ATG Front Squat
Weight: 205 lbs
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 2

Bench Press - Close Grip
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3

Weighted Chin-Up
Weight: BW +35lb DB
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Push Press - Barbell
Weight: 155 lbs
Sets/Reps: 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3

I forgot to take the HOT-ROX before working out. Pleasantly surprised at my performance level.

Tomorrow is the V-Challenge. The most challenging day of the week. I’m looking to demolish last week’s time.

Day 13: Advanced Program

V-Challenege: 36 minutes.

That’s an improvement of 6 minutes and 30 seconds from last week. It kicked my ass in the best possible way. I hate it so much I love it.

Looking forward to seeing my weight and measurement results tomorrow morning. I hope I can manage to choke down 4 more shakes today…I’m still not hungry thanks to being overheated by the V-Challenge.

[quote]SpnKick540 wrote:
V-Challenege: 36 minutes.

That’s an improvement of 6 minutes and 30 seconds from last week. [/quote]

Good going. I found I’ve been able to shave off a good amount of time each session, so keep it up!