Biotest

Tucson Strongman's March V-Diet

I just took my “before” photos and measurements and will be starting my V-Diet as soon as FedEx shows up with my stuff in the next day or two.

A little of my background. I’m 30 years old, have been training and lifting weights since I was 12, former military and law enforcement, and now work as a conductor for the railroad. I’ve competed in strongman at the state level and have a deep and lasting love for lifting iron.

Unfortunately, I’ve allowed myself to only focus on gaining “size” and strength without any thought of my my health and waistline. 19 Inch arms are great but not when they are joined by a 42 inch gut. So after getting winded doing a set of heavy BB curls the other day I finally decided it was time to make a change and do the Velocity diet.

I went to T-Nation and clicked on the V-Diet link and there was nothing there. Lucky for me I chose to do the V-Diet the day before 3.0 came out. I think it looks better, more simplified, and more effective then ever!

So here are my “Before” measurements

Height: 5’ 10 1/2

Weight: 240.2 lbs

Bodyfat: 29.7% (Taken on Electronic scale)

Neck: 18 1/4

Shoulders: 54

Upper Chest: 48

Lower Chest: 45 1/4

Waist (Navel): 42

Waist at largest: 42 1/2 (39 1/4 Sucked in)

Hips at Largest: 44

Upper Arm (Both): 18 Relaxed / 19 Flexed

Upper Leg (Both): 27 1/2

Lower Leg (left): 18 1/4

Lower Leg (right): 18

Ankle (Both): 10 3/4

I’ve got to admit that I was a little shocked when I took these. I wear a 36 pant size and couldn’t believe that my gut was over 42 inches!! Funny how many lies I’ve told myself and yet the tape measure doesn’t lie.

But that wasn’t anything compared to seeing myself in pictures. I was hesitant about posting these online till the “after” ones had been taken but where’s the pressure in that? So here we go…

March 1st, 2008

Front Relaxed

Rear Relaxed

Rear Flexed

Front Flexed

Right Side Relaxed

Left Side Relaxed

Front flexed “abs”

Dude, there is a LOT of muscle under there! Stick with the V-Diet and you’re going to be very pleased in a few weeks.

Keep us updated!

I agree with Chris. You have the potential for an unbelievable transformation with that muscle. Good luck.

Hey Tuscon - Welcome to the Party! lol

I’ve got to say that your “love of lifting iron” really shows - you’ve got a TON of muscle, and it shows even with a the layer of “padding” on top!

I’ll be willing to bet that if you stick with this thing 100% by the book the entire 28 days you will have one of the most impressive visible transformations simply because of your awesome muscle-base.

Keep us updated on your progress!

Hey everyone, thank you for the encouragement :slight_smile: I haven’t started the diet yet but I did the intermediate V-Burn Challenge tonight. Holy crap that was intense!! I had no idea how poor my cardio conditioning was.

I think I’m more excited about how I’m going to feel without all the fat rather than how I’ll look. I guess I slowly got used to feeling winded and sluggish.

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about the beliefs I’ve held over the years that led to my poor eating habits. The biggest lie I told myself was that I’d go catabolic if I didn’t eat everything in sight. I also justified massive caloric consumption simply because some of it was healthy, ie. Ezekial Bread, Chicken, etc.

Problem was, I was eating huge amounts of carbs late at night without a second thought and paid the price for it. I guess I’ll soon join the FFB ranks :slight_smile:

Now, if FedEx would just show up…the suspense is killing me!

March 3, 2009

It’s on now!! I got my Shipment today and will be starting the V-Diet tomorrow morning. I’m going to jump into the intermediate workout #2 since I’ll be starting on a wednesday. I can hardly wait to drop over 30lbs of fat and see the muscle I’ve worked so hard to build all these years.

Now I just need to decide what my “last meal” is going to be…maybe Chipotle?

UPDATE - Had Soft chicken tacos for my last meal. It was bitter sweet since Chipotle helped me gain the fat all these years (seriously, I eat there almost daily). Going to do a NEPA walk tonight and then having my first shake before bed.

for sure chipotle dude…so good

Welcome aboard TS, lots of great positive supportive people here!

March 3, 2009

Just finished a NEPA hike up Sabino Canyon here in Tucson. I did see 4 deer eating next to the trail but didn’t see any Mountain Lions :slight_smile:

Total time: 1 Hour 20 Min

Total Distance: 5 Miles

March 4, 2009 (Day 1)

Today was the official 1st day of my V-Diet! What I’ve noticed so far…

• The chocolate flavored shake covers the taste of Superfood and Flax the best

-HOT-ROX Extreme is ridiculously STRONG!! I’ve been buzzing all day.

-I’m not hungry at all…The shakes fill me up for a looong time :slight_smile:

-The Intermediate Training Program would destroy anybody if done properly (I almost crawled out of gym today)

-Surge original flavor is soooo good mixed with walmart brand strawberry drink mix (0 calories…unlike crystal lite)

-My sense of smell is greatly enhanced (I could smell a bbq from miles away while doing my NEPA tonight)

-I haven’t felt this good about going after a goal in a long time

Today was awesome and I got a kick out of freaking out anyone that asked about the V-Diet. My timing couldn’t be better since I just got furloughed from the railroad due to the slow economy. I’ve got all the time in the world to do this now :slight_smile: I’m off to use my heavy duty massager on my legs (which are all kinds of sore tonight) I’ll check in again tomorrow

March 5, 2009 (Day 2)

Today I took 4 HOT-ROX total and felt great! Seems like I’m having more difficulty getting all the shakes down since they fill me up for so long. I also eat my peanut butter separate from my last shake of the day and savor every second of it :slight_smile: I did my 1 hour NEPA walk tonight and I swear I’ve doubled my sense of smell since starting the V-Diet.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me but I swear I could smell a bbq from miles away. Guess that will make my 1st HSM Steak dinner that much better.

March 13, 2009 (Day 10)

Stepped on scale for the 1st time since starting V-Diet…

Weight: 234 (Lost 6.2 lbs)

Bodyfat: 26.4 (Lost 3.3 %)

I’m going to wait to take pics and measurements but I can DEFINITELY see a difference in the mirror. Some long lost veins are reappearing and I’m starting to see abs again. The biggest difference so far is how I feel. I don’t get winded and feel much more athletic, which really surprises me considering I’ve only been doing this for 10 days.

It seems like the area that’s shrinking the fastest is the pregnant belly fat under the abs (the central adipose fat). I still have the layer over the abs but my waistline has become much smaller. I can actually suck in the gut which seemed impossible before.

As far as strength goes…I have yet to notice any loss in any of my lifts. If anything I train a little harder since my cardio is improving. So far so good and I can’t wait to see where I’ll be in 2 more weeks!