Biotest

Try, Try Again

Try, Try Again or: How I Learned to Stop Quitting and Love the Shakes

I am on day 6 of All Shakes, All the Time. I have attempted the V-Diet on two prior occasions, both times quitting after completing the first week. It’s been over a year since I’ve tried it, and here I am again.

My Mr. is perplexed as to why I want to do this diet so badly–he’s more in favor of the slow-and-steady-wins-the-race method. (It’s the before and afters!)

Since September, I have managed to lose a few pounds by cutting back and eating right. But in the last month or so, I noticed my slip-ups were increasing in frequency, and I was scared that I might completely revert to my old eating habits and consequently, my old body–without ever having made it to my goal.

So, here goes: post number 1, V-Diet attempt number 3, and fingers crossed for some dramatic before-and-afters in 22 more days.

You know what they say - 3rd time’s a charm! Best of luck - you can do it!

Thanks for the encouragement, dan81! Much appreciated.

Week 2 begins today. I am heartened by two facts: scale weight is down to 136.5#, and I don’t feel like quitting. Though I try not to put too much stock in what the scale says, it’s still nice to see the number go down. And by making it this far into the diet with relative ease, I feel like I’ve crossed a hurdle that I wasn’t able to in previous attempts. A good start for a Monday, methinks.

Alright, best get ready for work.

It feels like I made that last post about a month ago. Not so, it’s only been 3 days. Sigh 18 days left. With 10 days down, I feel I’ve come too far to quit, but then I think about how long the next 18 days are going to feel. Oof. Wah wah, sounds like I’m somebody had a wahburger and cries with her shake.

Oh well.

Just once, I’d like to reach into the MD container for the scoop and come up with a temporary tatoo, a la Cracker Jacks.

This post is purely procrastination. I should be heading out to the gym now. I know some people workout because they actually like it–something I’ve never understood. Some days are better than others, but I’ve never been psyched about working out. I’m more a spectator/homebody sort.

Today is HSM day. After the gym, I’m going to stop by a market that sells grass-fed beef and pick up a steak for me and some fish for Mr. B. (that’s my husband, btw, not a cat). That, with some roasted sweet potatoes, cauliflower puree and a mixed green salad, should be a satisfying meal. I am a little worried about my ability to go back to the shakes after eating it, though.

Strangely, I’ve been doing more cooking now that I am not eating. Not for me, of course, but for Mr. B. At first he protested when I offered to fix him something to eat, thinking it would be hard for me to cook and not eat, but I actually find it doesn’t bother me. It’s not so much that I miss food while on the V-Diet (of course I do, but it’s not unbearable), but rather that I am tired of shakes.

9 years and 15 pounds ago, after having successfully seduced Mr. B, I was trying to figure out a way to keep him around long-term. Short on feminine wiles, I decided I would feed him, as, according to my mom, “love starts with your tummy.” (English is not her first language, so I don’t think she’s familiar with the adage, “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.”)

This presented a new set of challenges, however, as he had all these weird food rules: protein and fat together, protein and carbs together, no fat and carbs together, carbs post-workout only. At the time, I lived in an apartment with 3 other girls (2 of them Asian), 4 rice cookers and a 20-lb bag of short-grain rice, so clearly I had no notion of how one could have a meal without a carb. Or what a carb was, for that matter.

Fast-forward to today, and in the past two weeks alone I’ve made about 7-8 PN compliant meals without eating any of them. I guess the fact that I haven’t been eating them is how I find myself on the V-Diet today, hmm? But change is a-comin’!

hey ahesla,
thanks for the support on my log, hopefully you’re crushing the V-Diet and taking no prisoners

I am really confused about how willpower (particularly my store of it) works. I’ve read a few articles here and there–there’s that study about the cookie and the math problem, which concludes that willpower is finite; and I think I read something else that said willpower is like a muscle that you have to exercise.

As I mentioned when I started, I managed to lose a few pounds last fall by cutting back my calories and making healthy choices. But by late Dec-Jan, I would only be able to last for a couple days before I broke down and ate junk again. It was to the point where I rationalized eating whatever I wanted so long as I went on this diet. Not the healthiest decision, I know, but again, it appears my willpower muscle was worn out.

Now I’m on day 14, and amazed that I have been able to last this long. What’s different this time from the last two times I tried this diet? Generally speaking, I think I’m happier than I was when I tried it before, but even then I don’t think I was doing anything that would have exhausted my “willpower supply,” so to speak.

I look at people like my husband and my mom, who seem to be able stick to any plan, any resolution. When I can’t do it, I wonder what’s wrong with me? Am I weak? However Mr. B said something to me that I found really encouraging: when people quit smoking, they may fail at first (or at second or ninth or twentieth), but they keep trying until, eventually, it sticks. And the initial failures are no reason not to keep trying. I have no idea what number I’m at on my attempt to change my eating habits permanently, but I haven’t given up that I will get there.

ahesia,

Thanks for the feedback.

I see you’re using this log primarily to express doubt (self-doubt). That’s perfectly ok and natural. I had a bunch of days where the only thing that really kept me on track was thinking about my post for the day. The interesting thing is, discipline makes you happy. I just sat around and watched people eat delicious superbowl food while I sipped on shake #4. What was funny is that after the 15-20 minutes of gorging, they all started complaining about how full and uncomfortable they were. So there’s two sides to every coin.

So keep up the good work and remember that you’re not just doing this for the body transformation. There are emotional and psychological implications too! Hit it out of the park!

How are your workouts going? Are you sticking to the plan training-wise?

I’ve just started the 4th week, and from my experience, staying on track comes down to having a strategy to combat those things that can derail you. For me these have been:

1. Hunger - Have warm/hot green tea readily available. I work in an office with a coffee room so that’s easy for me, I just need to have the teabags/powder. If you are out and about, get a thermos. Also, as Chris has said, be focussed on something else whether it be work, games, books etc. Something that occupies the mind so you’re not constantly thinking about food or what the person sitting next to you is eating.

2. Travel - If I know I’ll be out and about (for me always on Saturday) then get some mini lunch boxes and pre-scoop everything you will need into those, and for the fish oil and bring your shaker and lots of water.

3. Other people - I just say that I need to lose a few kilos cos my doctor says so. That usually stops the line of questions and the food offers. I also say that I’m only doing this for 4 weeks so it’s bearable. I think it comes down to others not fully appreciating what your goals are. For me, I don’t really understand why some ppl can be passionate about stamp collecting or gardening, but to each his own.

Oh, dan81, why did you have to ask? I’ve been doing the workouts, but I can’t say I’ve been going the extra mile when it comes to the NEPA. I walk to and from work–just under a mile each way–but I’ve been doing that for the last 3 years so I don’t really think my body recognizes that as any kind of extra activity, if that makes any sense.

Thanks for the tips! I must say, food commercials that would have never even registered with my brain are now making me salivate. Having tea does seem to help.

smuscarella, thanks for the encouragement. Halfway point today–two more weeks and I’m going to make them count.

Troo.

News flash

I was just able to button a pair of pants that I have not been able to wear for at least a couple years. And I did this without holding my breath or weird yoga moves. Now to put on another pair of pants on top of these so I can walk to work without freezing mao.

[quote]ahesla wrote:
Oh, dan81, why did you have to ask? I’ve been doing the workouts, but I can’t say I’ve been going the extra mile when it comes to the NEPA. I walk to and from work–just under a mile each way–but I’ve been doing that for the last 3 years so I don’t really think my body recognizes that as any kind of extra activity, if that makes any sense.

[/quote]

I thought you would have posted your workouts, so just checking to keep you honest.

And pants fitting looser is always a great motivator.

No significant weight drop this week. Monday was 135.5. Not that a pound is nothing, just my weight fluctuates a lot from day to day so I don’t think 1 lb is significant. Anyhoo, keep on keepin’ on!

TGIF, for reals. This has been a long week. I’m going to sleep til noon tomorrow. 10moredays10moredays10moredaays10moredays…

oh ahesia I’m feeling the same and it’s 21 more days - keep on trucking woman!!

I’m in the home stretch, hurray! Except I keep forgetting about that damn transition period. Every time I see a pizza commercial I think, “ooh, only X more days!” But then I remember that I’m not supposed to go back to eating pizza. Hmph. I am skeptical about the whole “taste changes” thing. If it really happens, that’ll be the best thing about this diet.

Made a delightful HSM for me and Mr. B–part Valentine’s Day celebration, part It’s the Third Time I’ve Eaten in 21 Days So Let’s Do It Up Right: salmon in green pipian with white beans and peas, roasted zucchini and eggplant, and a green salad. Mr. B did the dishes so that made it even better.

As I near the end of the strict phase, I am getting more and more anxious/excited to see what the results will be. (I’ve weighed myself periodically, but I haven’t taken pictures since day 3. I didn’t want to become discouraged by the pics along the way, so I thought it would just be better not to look. Also, it’s too cold to be standing around in a bikini.) Anxious, because what if the result isn’t worth it? Excited, because what if it is? But I’ve decided that even if the results are not all that I hope for, these 28 days of shakes are likely better than what I would have eaten otherwise–not much room for slip-ups, etc. So no matter what next Monday’s photos bring, I know I’ve made progress.

I’m skeptical about the taste changes thing too. I can’t imagine a situation where pizza won’t look delicious. But for me personally, I do want veggies more than I used to… so maybe that’s all it is for some of us. I noticed when I ate my first HSM that the veggies were my favorite part, but I did still think everyone’s greasy burgers and all that looked pretty delicious. So maybe for some of us, it just helps us to appreciate that which is healthy for us?

Thanks ahesia. I plan to take advantage of that opportunity in the near future!

Just caught up on your log and I’ll say the following -

Yes, it’s worth it. 28 days will seem like a distant memory when you’re sitting where I am. No, you will not have the body of your dreams at the end of 28 days, but you will look leaps and bounds better than Day 1 and it’s important to keep that in mind! Yes, pizza still looks good. I would recommend getting a good like Gourmet Nutrition by John Berardi so you can make guilt free food. For me, I’ve found the amount of calories is far less important than the quality of the calories. So if I want to sit down and eat 2 chicken breasts dipped in hummus, that’s fine. But mac and cheese, not so good.

Keep up the good work. Nail this one down so you can check it off the list and add a notch to your achievements list.

[quote]NiciPicki wrote:
I’m skeptical about the taste changes thing too. I can’t imagine a situation where pizza won’t look delicious. But for me personally, I do want veggies more than I used to… so maybe that’s all it is for some of us. I noticed when I ate my first HSM that the veggies were my favorite part, but I did still think everyone’s greasy burgers and all that looked pretty delicious. So maybe for some of us, it just helps us to appreciate that which is healthy for us?[/quote]

The point of the diet isn’t to turn off the taste buds that enjoy pizza and greasy burgers and ice cream. The goal is to learn to enjoy healthy foods, eat more green vegetables (and enjoy them), eat healthier meats, learn portion control, and most importantly, become a disciplined eater. You can still enjoy that extra cheese, extra pepperoni pizza or that super greasy 1/2 lb burger smothered with 4 different kinds of cheese. However, you’ll be able to turn off (or at least control) your cravings so these foods don’t become a regular part of your diet.

It’s kind of like how I’ve come to enjoy getting plain black coffee at Starbucks rather than a caramel macchiato or frappuccino. I used to despise black coffee… thought it was too bitter and preferred something creamy and sweet like a macchiato or frapp. However, one day I decided to force myself to get used to black coffee, so I started to only got black coffee at Starbucks. Over time, I began to appreciate the subtle aromas and flavors from different types/brands of coffee since there was nothing in my coffee that would dilute or mask the flavor. Now, I pretty much always get my coffee black, but I still enjoy my occasional macchiato or frapp.

Hope that analogy makes sense.

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary.