Biotest

Tried, Tested, It's a Keeper

While I can’t pinpoint the exact date, I started reading about this diet, and for lack of a better word “stalking” people through their journey. That helped prepare me. Due to 2 months of business travel and thus plenty of business meals which I couldn’t refuse (or lose my job), I knew I wouldn’t be able to start until the end of September…which made 1 October the best start date.

But that, gave me ample time to read up, prepare, and attack it with a plan. I have been using the Shake mix for a while now and have perfected my desired consistency, and have even come up with a few concoctions of my own by mixing flavors, adding cinamon, etc.
My favorite is:
3 Parts Banana
1 Part Chocolate
1 Serving Flax
1/4 tsp cinamon
I call in Banana Nut Bread, ha!

It helps that cinnamon is my favorite spice out there…and that I could eat ice cream for every meal if it were healthy to do so.

Anywho, I started this thing on Oct 1 with a weight of 165, at 5’4. I had come off of a really, really, really bad month of eating and was at the highest I was ever, ever at. I had a leg/hip injury as well, so workouts were halted. I don’t have my measurement sheet with me right now, but I will post later.

For 1 week, I followed the diet exactly, eating ~1280 cals on non-lift days, and ~1600 on lift days. I underestimated my weight in the calculation, but my work generally requires that I site for a consistent 3 hours most days.
Included the alloted Flax, Omegas, and PB at end of day.
Did the workouts, as recommended.
End of 1 week, I was down to 155.2, as well as several inches. I might need some support for the next 3 weeks, and thought you all might just fulfill that need. To makeit legit, I will post all my numbers later tonight.

Until then, some helpful things I have come across…
Curcuits in big gyms are hard, try going on Friday evenings (instead of happy hour), and Sunday’s at any time. I know I know it’s football season, but time it around your team. I mean, you’re not going to be eating or drinking anyway, right? (Go Bills!)

I blend the powder and baout 6-7 oz water for 2 minutes so it’s nice and thick, then I add 11 ice cubes (ocd, i know, but its perfect) and blend for 1 minute. It is cold, goes down easy, and is PERFECT milkshake consistency. And for someone who could live in icecream, things couldn’t get better.
I love these things!

Be strong! You can do it! Great progress, just stick with it!

I know I can, I just have to keep telling myself that.

See, the biggest problem that impedes my staying fit is the group of people that I hang out with on a regular basis. I don’t think my coworkers know the meaning of exercise, and while they are generally supportive of my efforts to stay fit, they 1, dont really get it, and 2, dont understand why I am not hungry at 10 when they are (because they skip breakfast), etc.

In addition that, I have NO, I repeat, NO friends that workout regularly, let alone eat realtively healthy, even when the options are readily available (healthy menu items, me offering to cook, haha).
Let me clear things up too, they are not naturally thing people either, they are big, and overweight, and they complain about it constantly.

Well, I have grown tired of their antics and decided that I need to at least virtually surround myself with healthy people. There was a point, 2 years ago that I had a pretty healthy crowd. We dispersed around the country and don’t talk much. Since their staggared departure, I have found myself falling back into the old routines…and I hate it.

Second, and it might seem quite counterproductive, but its working well…
I really love to bake. So, I guess its a good thing that all of these people around me eat like crap, because that apple cake I made…it got wolfed down as if I used the worlds only remaining apples.

For those unaware, nothing beats an apple from a Western NY orchard in October…except for maybe ice cream.

Point is, I have been filling my time with baking all sort of stuff with the apples…that I picked (NEPA!). It smells so good, but I have been satisfied with just smelling it all. I feel like a super hero to be able to say that without lying!

Suppose it’s too late to ask, but the workouts that are recommended on the “Official Wrok Outs page;” Are those suitable for a female?
I have been doing them, and have been feeling exhausted afterward, which is the point, eh? But I’m just not sure I am targeting the correct muscles for my goals.

Any ideas?

[quote]Polsen714 wrote:
Suppose it’s too late to ask, but the workouts that are recommended on the “Official Wrok Outs page;” Are those suitable for a female?
I have been doing them, and have been feeling exhausted afterward, which is the point, eh? But I’m just not sure I am targeting the correct muscles for my goals.

Any ideas?[/quote]

The beginner program is great for females. (Not because all females are beginners, but because pulldowns are usually better options than pull-ups, for example.)

It’s a full body workout. What muscles do you think you’re not targeting?

hey, I am new to the site and i am looking to put on some more muscle mass. I am a division one national champion swimmer so i do not want to get all muscle bound. I just want to put on some lean muscle mass.

We train non stop so it is hard to put on weight, what supplements would you suggest? besides eating, protein etc.

I need help!!

My name is Cat I have been working out for years and havent seen any good results. I dont usually take supplements but have been doing tons and tons and tons of research and I AM EVEN MORE CONFUSED

I am 35 yrs old I weigh about 180 ( i know i am strong but (I was on Prednisone and am recently weaning off of it so i gained a few pounds) I have always worked out and even followed a few plans (body for life being one of them)

Now i just want to lose weight and gain muscle. My long term goal is to just look good in a mirror (and maybe even try competing) I know i am strong but i dont know waht i am doing wrong.

I am not seeing any results. I guess i dont know what body parts to do together or not do together. My nutrition must really suck and i dont know what supplements to take before during and after workouts. Should i do full body workout first to lose weight and then split.

Should i use Creatine an any other supplements to help me lose. I mean i have even hired a trainer but wasnt able to tell me what to eat or what to take
Usually my meals are as follows
Breakfast
Egg whites
oatmeal
Snack
protein shake
Meal 2
Ckn
Lettuce
brown rice
Meal 3
turkey meat
salad
rice
Meal 4
Ckn or fish or meat
Salad
yam

I currently work out in the afternoon so i take anotherprotein shake right after
I take Lglutamine in the morning along with folic acid Vit B12, Vit B complex
I was taking LCarnitine before working out
i have done so many different workout i dont know which i am following now

I just want some help

[quote]Chris Shugart wrote:
Polsen714 wrote:

Any ideas?

The beginner program is great for females. (Not because all females are beginners, but because pulldowns are usually better options than pull-ups, for example.)

It’s a full body workout. What muscles do you think you’re not targeting?

Well, since I have been lifting for a couple years, I started with the intermediate; since pull-ups are the only thing I have trouble with (dips ok fine), I use the assisted machine, with only 40 lbs under me.

I am used to having a pretty intense leg workout (for a female), and feel like this has actually decreased the amount of muscle in my legs

Today was a lifting day, Week 2, Day 2. I couldn’t find what weight amounts females generally lift, but I am lifting as much as I possibly could without ruining my form…or falling over (in the case of the squats)

A1 - Alt. Shoulder Press 4x4 (35 lbs)
A2 - Alt Forward Lunge 4x4 (40 lbs each hand)
A3 - Bent over Dumbell Row (40 lbs)
30 sec rest inbetween
B1 - Overhead Tri Ext (15 - weak, I know)
B2 - Hammer Curl (25 lbs)
B3 - Front Squat (60 lbs barbell) - I have surprisingly never done this exercise and feel very unsteady. My injury, as previously stated was a sciatica, so I have to be careful with certain things.

70 sec side plank 2x each side, 30 sec rest inbetween - I can hold them longer with the rest, is that alright?

I was freakin exhausted after that…took about 35 minutes, I think. Had my Surge and felt better.

NEPA at lunch time, down to the falls and back, took about 45 min.

My shakes need to add up to about 800 cals once I minus the flax, omegas, and PB. SO, I have generally been splitting them like this:
Shake 1: 2 scoops w/ flax
Shake 2: 1.5 scoops w/ Omega
Shake 3: 1.5 scoops w/ Omega
Shake 4: 1.5 scoops
Shake 5: 1.5 scoops w/ PB

I find myself starving between 1 and 2, so I have the FiberChoice tabs - which I also love, and have been taking for a couple years now.
But, I am finding myself having to force down the shakes - not due to taste (I love the taste), but to being completely full.

I would like to stop eating and listen to my body, but I won’t be getting enough cals then. Tough.

Late night thought as I was reading up on the Transition Info…

I mentioned how I make my shakes (blended to the consistency where I can eat them with a spoon - which generally takes me about a half hour).

Well, I am always ice friggen cold when I near the end of my monster cup/dish of protein shake. When I say cold, I mean overpowering goosebumps cold. I know I’m a chick and therefore “always cold” regardless, but you really can’t deny goosebumps that take 15 minutes to subside, can you?

Suppose its the combination of the low carbs and the ice, but I have heard that your body burns more calories when it is cold, essentially trying to push the blood faster.
Did I make that up?

Late night thought as I was reading up on the Transition Info…

I mentioned how I make my shakes (blended to the consistency where I can eat them with a spoon - which generally takes me about a half hour).

Well, I am always ice friggen cold when I near the end of my monster cup/dish of protein shake. When I say cold, I mean overpowering goosebumps cold. I know I’m a chick and therefore “always cold” regardless, but you really can’t deny goosebumps that take 15 minutes to subside, can you?

Suppose its the combination of the low carbs and the ice, but I have heard that your body burns more calories when it is cold, essentially trying to push the blood faster.
Did I make that up?

Yesterday I was feeling a bit nauseaus all day long. Every time I would stand up I was dizzy for a few seconds. It was really odd. I have a slight sore throat, which will hopefully sibside with a couple doses of some throat spray. I assume that might have some sugar in it (have heard most meds do), but the alternative is getting a terrible cold.
Damn weather is at that point where it is cold in the morning and night, but up to 70 during the day…messes with the system.

I was really bored yesterday, so I decided to go to the gym to do my NEPA walk on the inclined treadmill and got in an hour.

I just want to again state that adding cinnamon to my shakes (the way I make them) really makes them taste like heaven.

I’m concerned that I won’t want to stop drinking them at all when the diets over. I am also concerned that my absolute love for chocolate will return when I am done. My friend had chocolate cake for his birthday yeserday and it took EVERYTHING out of me not to have some. I just kept telling myself - hey, you’ve been on this diet for 10 days now, are you really going to ruin it? no, I’m not going to be THAT girl who thinks it’s cute to slip up (with that really annoying cutesy giggle-no, laughing doesn’t make it ok)

Day 13…
and it is both comforting and scary that I am essentially at the half-way point.

Sunday work-out (yesterday)
A1 - Romanian dumbell deadlift 9 reps (50 lbs each side)
A2 - Bench Press 9 reps (20 lbs each side - haha, I know, I’m working on it!)
A3 - Assisted chin-up 9 reps (can’t remember the weight, just went as low as I could)
B1 - Staning Side Raises 9 reps (15 lbs each)
B2 - Bent Over Row 9 reps (50 lbs - I youtube’d this movement after last week just to ensure I was doing it properly. I was, but I still felt I was doing it inefficiently - help?)
B3 - Reverse Crunch 9 reps
B4 - Reverse lunge (20 lb each hand - started out with 25, but couldnt complete the set without dropping the weights from the tension in my shoulders, so had to drop to 20)
4 sets for both A and B

NEPA…I walked around the mall and other verious stores for about 3hours…in heels, ouch.

Speaking of which, I almost went crazy. It was about 3:00 in the afternoon, and time for a shake. If I am shaking them I absolutely HAVE to use ice, or else i want to vomit. I had to stop at 4 different stores down what is the busiest street in our area, with the WORST drivers EVER to find one that had ice…I was STARVING by the time I actually found it. Talk about irritated!

But I had stopped over at the 'rents house and they were going to see “The Express,” so I joined them. Talk about a good movie!

Day 14…

Weight: 152 (down from 155 last week, and 165 at start)
Didn’t get to measure, had to get to work early, ugh.

Regardless, I notice the difference in my clothes, so I have lost some inches.

HSM = 4 oz Grilled Chicken breast,
handful of lettuce for salad w/ fat free feta (that is actually loaded in protein, for what it is)
5 oz baked sweet potato (I ate the skin, is that really gross? ha!)
I am not sure on the cals, but that is a standard healthy meal so I’m not concerned too much.

Day 15…Lift Day, phew!

Woke up at 6, 1 scoop stawberry @ 6:30

Workout at 8:00
9 grusome sets of the the series
A1 - Wide Grip Pull up 3 reps (-40lbs)
A2 - Dead Lift 3 reps (90 lbs on a 45 lbs bar)
A3 - Dip 3 reps

I thought I was going to pass out when I was done. It felt so good to have my Surge afterward.

Shake @ 11

NEPA 1 hr at lunch

Day 16…and I’m more than halfway through.

Yesterday was pretty grueling for me. I generally lift after work, but because I had to stay late, I didnt have to be to be in until 10:30. So, naturally, I did my workout a couple hours after waking. WOW, did that exhaust me by the end of the day. I fell sleep at 9:00 and didnt wake up until almost 7. I get a standard 7 hours of sleep each night (never getting or needing more), and for me, that is perfect. I must have been beat!

Like jlats, I am horrible with the transition phases of diets, and think I need to start prepping for exactly what I am going to eat, what amounts, and at what times.

Thtat said, I have a slight hiccup in there. I am going away with my parents (who I still haven’t told about this) for 3 days at the end of the month…right when the transition begins. I need to figure out how to move my workouts to accomodate being away, as we will be driving on the days which I have been lifting (Friday and Sunday).

More importantly…what are some suggestions on meals that I can place in there, being away from a kitchen, and being Days 3, 4, and 5 of my transition?

Polsen…great job you are doing here. Glad to see you are sticking with it and thinking into the future of where to go and what to do next. Kudo’s. Transition will make you feel like you are cheating. After the 4 weeks here and then adding one meal a day for a couple weeks evaluate where you are and adjust accordingly. I went longer on the one meal a day. But had a lot to lose and am still working towards that. Your tastes will take a huge change towards “good for you” foods. Eat dark chocolate if you must eat chocolate and I have decided, all women must. Your taste towards sweets will change too, even chocolate. Keep lean meats and veggies a priority when you have to eat out. Leave the breads and the desserts to the fat folks.

Great job!! Keep up the good work.

Thank you!
I am really not having that much trouble with not eating regular food. The only problem I seem to be having is being full all of the time. I know that I HAVE to get a certain amount of shakes in per day but I find myself not being hungry when it’s time for another one.

As for the chocolate, I agree that will be hard. My tastes already concentrate toward “good” foods, and I never have a problem choosing them - that is unless there is cheesecake or really good chocolate…or a combination of both put in front of me. Damn, it should be outlawed from production!

Hey Polsen,

I’m going to keep my log going for a bit through my transition if you want to get some ideas for meals. As far as first week when you are away from home… A can of tuna could replace a shake or half a can depending on yourcalorie requirements.

As far as working out you can get solid workout even if you are lacking equipment. Push ups, pull ups, sit-ups, dips get creative my little brother was just telling me how he was using a concrete slab he got from a typhoon (he lives in china) to do overhead squats and push presses.