Biotest

Traveling on the V-Diet?

Hi all,

My line of work involves a lot of traveling on weekends. I’m a touring musician so I spend a lot of time in airports and on road trips and I’m forced to eat in hotels and gas stations and such.

I’ve managed to put off trying the V-Diet for a while now because of my tour schedule and I’m ready to give it a shot even though I’ll be traveling most every weekend in March.

Has anyone traveled while on the diet? Have any hints? I’m thinking what I’ll have to do is take a shaker bottle around with me and a ziploc bag with the measured out protein for the trip.

Thanks much,
Mikos

A single serving travel blender is very handy. About 16 or 17 bucks at Wal-Mart.

Bagging all your supplements is helpful too. You can even make one bag per day for Flameout, HOT-ROX, etc.

I’ve also measured out the Metabolic Drive I’ve needed, added it to a smaller container if it fits (saves suitcase space), then added in my Superfood directly to the protein powder. You could even do that with L-Leucine; just make sure it’s mixed in there well.

Shaker bottles are handy in a pinch, of course.

Mikos,

I started the diet on 11 Feb.

As my username implies, I travel a lot too, usually 10 days out of 30, internationally, with one or two 1-2 day trips as well in any given month. Usually flying, but since starting I’ve done one long road trip, from Texas back up to DC - 1350 miles in about 20 hours.

1. Your alertness drops off fast on this diet if you’re not getting lots of sleep, with concomitant declines in eye-hand coordination and reaction time. The body just doesn’t seem to have reserves, perhaps due to the glycogen depletion arising from low carb intake.

DON’T drive long distances. By hour 14 of my run up from Texas I was having hallucinations (pink dragons) and my hands were shaking. My buddy drove us the rest of the way in, I wrote the day off as a loss and had a scoop of mashed potatoes and a piece of chicken.

1. ditto dehydration and associated effects; similar to fatigue, with the added bonus of vulnerability to disease. It’s always a problem on long flights; the dry air inside aircraft leeches moisture and makes you feel like crap at the best of times.

On this diet, though, you seem to feel it more and don’t shake it off as quickly. Try hard to fall asleep, upgrade your seat if you have to for comfort. If you can’t sleep, hydrate your ass off. Carry hand sanitizer and use it.

1. travel blenders show up on TSA xray checks - the blades, specifically. The Hamilton Beach model, which Chris has pictured above, has the blades fixed inside the mixing cup. Makes it hard to clean but (so far) has satisfied the TSA they can’t be used as a weapon.

2. travel blenders may not, internationally. The model I have runs only on 120v power. I have not found a model that can run on 120-240v, which will mean I’ll have to take a transformer along with me on my upcoming trip to Asia.

A blender can draw enough power to blow fuses in places with primitive wiring, if other appliances are already running. I am looking for something battery powered.

1. ziploc bags of protein powder appear to the TSA as “suspicious white powder”. I was pulled out of line while going through security during my first effort to fly with the Metabolic Drive. The ziplocs were opened (getting protein powder all over my suit bag, my hands, and a couple of TSA guards) and the contents checked with sniffers. A debate ensued between the guards and a supervisor over whether to simply confiscate the bags; but ultimately they decided the sniffer test was enough. The edge may have come from one of the guards ,who had a brother who bodybuilds and who had gotten into it himself while at FLETC.

He recognized that the protein powders were bodybuilding supplements from the smell. He warned me that in future I should put them in checked bags and in an external pocket to facilitate TSA access, assuring me that they’d be checked every time.

1. he was right. I checked my bag on the return leg and when I unpacked at home found the external compartment where the powders were had been opened. The zipper was broken and there was again powder everywhere, along with a TSA sticker on the larger bag that held the smaller bags of different flavored Metabolic Drive.

2. The lack of labels on my ziploc bags was a big issue. Again, TSA recommended keeping the powder in the original packaging, which wasn’t really an option with these big tubs.

Biotest doesn’t make labelled bags, or some kind of smaller travel bottle (something flat would be nice, guys; that holds, say, 40 scoops - about a 1 week supply of a given flavor. I can’t get the labels off the tubs without shredding them (kudos on the quality of the packaging but damn)

If you’re carrying a big enough suitcase, you could use an empty tub and cram it full of ziplocs with different flavored powders. Not an option for short trips, though. I’m still working on this problem.

1. Since you can’t carry liquids through security, you have to mix shakes for long flights either in the waiting lounge or on the plane (My flights are often 12-15 hours). The blender won’t be an option, though I suppose you could run it in the bathrooms, where there plugs, or maybe off a laptop station. You’d get a lot of looks. Carry a shaker bottle.

If you mix up the shakes BEFORE getting on the plane, make sure you carry them in a separate bag of their own. Pressure changes within the aircraft may cause some leakage through the threading of the bottle top.

1. most hotel weight rooms abroad will not have free weights, squat racks and whatnot. You’ll have a Universal gym or maybe some Cybex stuff. Do yourself a favor and think about how to do the exercises on a universal gym AHEAD of time.

Hopes this helps!

Wow thanks for all of the info! Especially the TSA part. I didn’t really think of that but it makes sense.

-Mikos