Biotest

Transitioners Daily Check-In

I thought I’d start a thread for the transitioners and beyond. EVERYONE is welcome! This is a place for Transitioners (I’d call us Tranies, but that might cause a controversy!) to post how they’re doing in transition: their challenges, what they are eating, etc. I don’t know about you guys, but I need to stay motivated to lose more and/or keep this weight off! So come join us!

Okay, of course I’ll start. As most of you know, I had surgery a week ago, so I’ve had my own challenges with this! That’s why I need to check in everyday to let everyone know what’s up, and to get help when I need it.

I’ve done pretty good since my surgery, but not perfect by any means. I had a few days where I was knocked out with nausea, so that limited what I could and could not eat. At one point, in my drugged stupor, my mother shook a bagel and me and said, “Eat it damnnit! Protein shakes are too tough on your stomach right now! Eat it!” I gingerly took the bagel from my mother’s insistant hands and took a reluctant bite. A tear might have escaped my eye, I’m not sure. A bagel?! Blechhh! So I rebeled and stopped taking my pain meds so I could drink my protein shakes again. I know, pathetic right? Or stubborn, one of the two.

So I’ve had a couple days of debauchery, but I’m back, folks, and I need to keep this weight off without working out. Needless to say, I’ve got my work cut out for me! So I might do a few shake-only days, interspersed between HSM days until I can even take a brisk walk, which I will be able to do by Monday methinks.

Yesterday I had an HSM, and today will be a shakes only day, and I feel okay with that! And as pathetic as it sounds, I’m so looking forward to my “brisk walk”! Ha!ha!

Good idea for a thread.

I think the most common concern I hear from V-Diet Transitioners is, “I’m afraid I’ll start gaining fat back when I add in more HSMs.”

Most V-Dieters do see a pound or two bump in scale weight once they add back in solid foods, but this is a natural normalizing of body fluids and muscle glycogen. Happens with any reduced-carb plan. And it’s a good thing too because you’ll soon notice more fullness in your now-visible muscles. So that’s nothing to worry about.

Also, eating more HSMs may indeed bump up calories a little, but that’s not a bad thing after a strict diet. If you stayed super-low calories for too long, your metabolism might slow down.

So, long story short, as long as you eat healthfully and train, you’re not going to gain fat back. On the flipside, yeah, if you start eating lots of crap and quit training, you’re going to gain body fat back. Seems like common sense to me.

Luckily, sticking to healthier foods is easier once you go through the V-Diet experience because of the taste/craving/behavior changes.

Yep - it’s just how Chris says. I just finished week one of transition, and the scale didn’t change at all - but the inches actually DID. I do indeed fear getting fat again, but it’s just really another BENEFIT of the VDiet. It makes you consider your diet overall and make it fit your goals.

For those reading here who are just starting, just hang in there. The ease comes and goes, but there is just NO denying the results.

OK. Off to the gym…

Kellster

I totally agree with Kellster. (and Chris obviously). Scale weight actually went down one more pound for me, but I still lost almost 3 inches through the last week of transition.

Yeah, I feared and still fear getting the fat back, but now I think about it every time I decide what Im going to eat at whatever time of the day and make sure I’m doing the right thing.

I had a couple cheat meals over the last week, but I KNEW it while I was doing it, and I almost wanted to punch myself in the face because I wouldnt quit bitching at myself about it.

Unlike before the Vdiet, I can recognize where Im going wrong, think before I eat instead of just grabbing something out of boredom or convenience, and even control how much I cheat on those cheat meals when they did occur. Without feeling deprived and pissy about not getting my usual “sugary simple carb laden delight”.

Nope, there is NO denying the results.

Good thread for me. I’ve just passed the half way stage, and it’s good to hear about a couple of pounds going back on early doors in the transition phase, because I wasn’t expecting that sort of thing and it would have pissed me off.

Is there a best timing for the HSM for workout and non-workout days? I was thinking of having it a couple of hours after my PWO Surge on workout days and second meal on non-workout days.

Greetings everyone. I’ve bene done with ‘V’ for about a month now and have actually lost about another lb or two (down to 209 after starting at 239) since I’ve been done.

As for training, I’ve continued with the VDiet intermediate training program, with intervals 2X per week, and VBurn on the weekend. I also ordered ‘Huge in a Hurry’ by Waterbury and will be implementing that program shortly.

As for diet, the principles are from Shugart’s FFB article. As for actual #s, I’m still kind of experimenting with calorie levels, etc. here is what currently shooting for:

Training Days: Cals: 2500, protein: 250g, carb: 150g

Non Training Days: Cals 2100: protein: 215g, carb 100g.

Carbs are only complex ones…oatmeal, brown rice, sw potato, and I also allow myself a few flax seed tortilla chips.

Proteins are lean turkey, chicken, tuna, steak, protein powder.

Also, still doing some good fats at night (raw almonds, PB, fish oil caps).

Tons of salad and veggies.

I’m keeping a food/nutition stats log because it works and keeps me out of trouble in overeating.

I’m limiting cheat meals as much as possible, but will plan them rather than do them spontaneously. I’m also learning that I really don’t feel that great physically after having them so I’m going to be even more scrutinizing about what I have.

My wife just started on VDiet this week so I’m going to be cheering her on.

I’m really grateful for Chris and all his effort in putting this program together and his active involvement in teaching, answering questions, cheering participants on, etc.

I just started my transition Sunday and my body seems tobe having a problem distesting food. Awful stomach aches…has this happened to anyone else?

BTW - I lost a total of 8 lbs and do hope for more. I definitely leaned out but have also gained muscle as in my measurements my arms and hips (actually its the butt thanks to the squats haha) are bigger.

Alright, just did my midday training session. I have to say that Romanian deadlifts with only 15 secs of rest are BAAAHHHRUTAL! I was ready to go home after those. I still wish I was stronger at pullups…I have to do the machine-assist ones in order to crank out 8-9 reps. But I’ve never been good at those…even as a kid. Low strength-to-bodyweight ratio I guess. Dips I can do however.

Howdy all!

Weight this morning: 123
Verdict: It’s a shake day today! (read my former post as to why).

I really, really, really, really, miss working out!

Thinking about doing a little on the elliptical, just very slow. I’m not supposed to get my hr up right now, so I’ll just take it easy.

Penny!! shakes her finger Stop trying to DO stuff! Sit down and prepare for a dose of mothering.

Listen to me woman! The elliptical and the type of surgery you just had do not mix. Im not saying you need to lay down in bed 24/7. Just take a walk or somethin; it will make you feel good to get out and will help the healing process. No elliptical! No bouncing your body up and down like the elliptical does-even slow! No raising your heart rate any more than walking will do!

And like any parent would say: Dont make the same mistakes I made! And YOU know where THAT got me doncha?! Three times is NOT a charm.

Or Ima come up there myself and strap you to the bed. (Of course that sounds terrible, you gutter minded little lady, but you know what I mean!)

[quote]Woppa wrote:
Good thread for me. I’ve just passed the half way stage, and it’s good to hear about a couple of pounds going back on early doors in the transition phase, because I wasn’t expecting that sort of thing and it would have pissed me off.

Is there a best timing for the HSM for workout and non-workout days? I was thinking of having it a couple of hours after my PWO Surge on workout days and second meal on non-workout days.[/quote]

I wish I knew. I just picked dinner because that’s when I could sit with my family. I work out in the evenings, and sometimes during the day. Whenever I can get it done. This sort of chaotic meal timing hasnt hurt me, so you probably dont have to worry much, however you do it. Just paying attention to the obvious. Like have more calories and carbs and protein on work out days and less on non work out days. (Although…disclaimer…Chris probably knows the exact answer to this)

[quote]Woppa wrote:

Is there a best timing for the HSM for workout and non-workout days? I was thinking of having it a couple of hours after my PWO Surge on workout days and second meal on non-workout days.[/quote]

Shugs recommended that the once-a-week HSMs during the V-Diet be eaten as your 4th meal, but there was no set rule. I did the same thing during week 1 of the transition phase (ate my HSM as my 4th meal), but I doubt it really matters.

What I would recommend is to nix the starchy carbs on non-workout days if you’re eating it in the evening, but if you’re eating it early in the day, it shouldn’t be a problem (same thing applies once you’re back to “normal eating”).

In the past, Christian Thibadeau has recommended the following:
-Meal 1: P+C
-Meal 2: P+C
-Meal 3: P+C
-Meal 4: P+F
-Meal 5: P+F
-Meal 6: P+F

P = protein, C = carbs, F = fats

You can modify that to fit your needs (more P+F meals if you’re carb-intolerant, or vice versa), but as a general rule, try to keep the carbs in the morning, post-workout drink (Surge), and post-workout meal. Obviously, having a little fat in your P+C meals or some carbs in your P+F meals is inevitable (unless you’re being especially strict). Just make sure you never have a meal with only carbs and fat because chances are it’s not healthy.

Good idea for a thread, just saw it.

I’ve lost weight and BF% in my first transition week, although there was no loss in inches.

I’ve only had P+F meals for HSMs though, as my body does not like Carbs.

LR

EDIT: NUMBERS

Start; 84.9 Kg / 186.78 Lbs @ 21.1% BF

End of Tran Week One; 79.7 Kg / 175.34 Lbs @ 18.1% BF

Alright, daily checkin. Did intervals this morning. BTW, I’m curious what everyone else does on their interval training. Here’s what I did today.

4 x 200 (1:20 rest betw)

8 x 100 (:40 rest betw)

10 minutes of 1 min sprint / 1 min walk intervals.

One question I had about this. Is it ok to do these kind of workouts first thing in the AM on an empty stomach?

[quote]jo3 wrote:
What I would recommend is to nix the starchy carbs on non-workout days if you’re eating it in the evening, but if you’re eating it early in the day, it shouldn’t be a problem (same thing applies once you’re back to “normal eating”).
[/quote]

Yes, I think this is smart advice.

Weight: 122

I know my family wants to eat out on Friday night. Grandma’s coming to pick up one of the girls to stay the night. So I think I will “shake it” 'til Friday night. Had a few nibbles of ground turkey breast that I was making for the kids for supper, so I at least had a little solid food yesterday!

Lisa, okay. I will listen to you! I think I might just take a light walk or something. I was cleaning yesterday and think I overdid it a little, so I am just going to stick to a strict diet and back off on the exercise part. I just have to accept the fact that I can’t exercise right now. It is hard though! When I’m done healing I will really be grateful for the ability to be healthy and workout. So y’all enjoy your ability to workout right now! Also, Lisa, how’s the new diet and training coming along?

Art, I think your interval program sounds good. Stick with it; that is exactly what the latest scientific findings for fat loss are saying right now! Interval training is in and steady state cardio: definitely out!

this is me checking in…i suck…had some shakes today! and stew delicious beef stew.

Man, I want some beef stew! Did it have potatoes and carrots? Did you make it yourself? Okay, stop, remember I’m just shakin’ it right now! :frowning: I need to bust out my crockpot.

Okay so…
Weight: stayed at 122, yay me

All “meals” on time except for the last one, wasn’t hungry for it, I know, I know, I should’ve had it anyway but I was tired and slumped on the couch after putting the kids to bed by myself and I just couldn’t pry myself from the tv, he!he!

Exerise countdown: 4 more days counting today that I can go for a “brisk walk” or do the elliptical slowly with no arms. Just so that you know Lisa, I okayed it w/ my doc. :slight_smile: Thanks for looking out for me!!

What’s up everybody? Just did my final, 6-week weigh in. Continued to lose weight on the transition and finished 16.8 lbs down overall (6.2 in transition). Bodyfat says I’m down 9.4% overall, but I’m not entirely sure I believe it because there was a very drastic change during transition (-3.4%)…could have something to do with glycogen & water weight readings during the diet though, not really sure…

Starting to implement Berardi’s PN principals into my diet…buying food today (grocery stores scare me)…learning to cook is fun…

That is all…

-Nate

Good day all. Here’s what’s up for today…

• Doc checkup. Still waiting on blood results but preliminary stats look good compared to last physical four yrs ago…

• Blood Pressure: Down from 142/82 to 130/71
    • Resting HR: Down from 62 to 45
    • Weight: Down from 239 to 207
  • Training: Excellent Wednesday Intermediate session (last one!). Tried to increase weight on the upright row/ext rotation move from 15 (too easy) to 20…which felt pretty hard. Pushups with feet on bench felt very easy today. Lunges are always tough. Wood chop was good – although sometimes I wonder if my form is right. Is this exercise supposed to work a lot of different muscles (abs, shoulders, triceps, etc)?

• Cheerleading. My wife is on day 4 of V-Diet and she’s doing great. She doesn’t want to do a blog so I’ll do a brief one for her. I think biggest challenge for her will be doing the weight training. She’s very intimidated by weight rooms – especially free weights. I’ve been acting as her trainer for the first week – showing her how to do the lifts, etc. But honestly I can’t see her doing wanting to do Sumo deadlifts – at least not initally. Maybe I’ll swap in some lunges for her.

Peace everyone!