Biotest

Transition Phase: Food Problems

I did my 3rd Pulse Fast on the V-Diet on Thursday. Friday I began the first day of my transition phase (week 5). I work at a restuarant and I can’t have my meal until around 11 pm or sometimes later when I get home.

Here’s what I ate:

salad with 4 oz. chicken breast
6 oz. redfish, 2 shrimp, 1 scallop
8 oz. lean sirloin
2 slices cauliflower crust pizza
1 small sweet potato
3 servings peanut butter
1 apple
1 cup Edy’s no sugar added ice cream

The next day here’s what I ate for HSM:

At work, I accidently spilled one of my shakes, so I had 6 oz. steak and 4 oz. king crab to replace it. I had a total of 4 shakes this day (3 Metabolic Drive and 1 Surge Recovery). When I got home, I was really hungry again just like the night before. I had:

3 slices cauliflower crust pizza
14 oz. cooked chicken breast
2.5 servings almond butter
1 cup Edy’s no sugar added ice cream

I think I need to cut back but my body is telling me I am starving!

I am really struggling with the transition phase. I’m pretty sure I overdid it with the meals, but these Pulse Fasts are making me starving the day after! Once I start to eat real food it is very hard to stop. I feel like I’m left in an “all or nothing” position. I plan on doing 2 pulse fasts per week. Do you have any suggestions?

Yeah, that’s more like a Pulse FEAST than a V-Diet Transition with Pulse Fast days.

I’m not sure what to tell you: you’re trying to lose fat and you’re hungry. Welcome to dieting! (Kidding, kidding…)

You may simply be piling too much on: V-Diet Transition Phase and Pulse Fasts at the same time. Better to do the Transition strictly, then play around with fasting later, maybe once per week. Then, if you notice more hunger the next day, that’s fine because you’ll be primed to use those nutrients for building muscle – assuming, of course, you take advantage of that slingshot effect and bust ass in the gym the day after a Pulse Fast. And I’m sure you would.

Another idea is to move your daily HSM. Most people who have trouble with food and body fat overeat at night. Make that last meal of the day a shake instead, and have your HSM for breakfast or lunch. That way it has an end point instead of turning into “eat all night.” I’m sure you could find a way to do that, regardless of your job.

Also, try to improve your food choices. I probably don’t have to tell you that sugar free ice cream is crap. And I’ve found that as much as I like peanut butter, it’s too easy to overeat given the caloric density. Replace that with more vegetables. Volumize more.

Ok, I need to volumize. I get it. I think I figured it out. Today, I did not eat anything at work except for the shakes. Here’s what I ate at bedtime when I got home from work on 2/20/2011:

4 cups broccoli with fat-free cheese
2 packs Miracle Noodles (zero cal) low-sugar Classico tomato sauce
1 large baked chicken breast
4 tbsp. almond butter for dessert (replaces nut butter in shake with one extra serving)

I cut the fruit out because its extra carbs I don’t need and it doesnt fill me up anyway. I know the sugar free ice cream is crap, so I cut it out. I need something to kill my sweet tooth so the almond butter does the trick.

Does this work? I was very full after eating this.

I’d up the protein and cut back on the nut butter, but if it did the trick, then that’s cool.

Nothing wrong with nut butters like almond butter as long as they’re natural, but they’re still calorie bombs, so you have to go easy.

I’m about to end week 6 of the V-Diet and I’ve already gained back 5-8 lbs. since the end of week 4. I am worried that I am eating too much. Here’s an example of what I eat daily during week 6:

Breakfast:
1 cup almond flour pancakes with almond milk
1 cup egg whites with 2 slices fat free cheese

Lunch:
2 Metabolic Shakes (4 scoops total)

Dinner:
1 lean sirloin or 2 chicken breasts
1 large salad
4 cups broccoli with fat free cheese and classico tomato sauce
2 servings peanut butter

*I will also add a Surge Recovery shake on days when I workout.

I’m currently 5’9" @ 160-165 lb.

The meals above total 3,147 cal., 109 carbs + 33 grams fiber. Is this caloric intake too high? Why am I gaining weight back? Is there a caloric goal I should strive for?

[quote]t-minotaur wrote:
I’m about to end week 6 of the V-Diet and I’ve already gained back 5-8 lbs. since the end of week 4. I am worried that I am eating too much. Here’s an example of what I eat daily during week 6:

Breakfast:
1 cup almond flour pancakes with almond milk
1 cup egg whites with 2 slices fat free cheese

Lunch:
2 Metabolic Shakes (4 scoops total)

Dinner:
1 lean sirloin or 2 chicken breasts
1 large salad
4 cups broccoli with fat free cheese and classico tomato sauce
2 servings peanut butter

*I will also add a Surge Recovery shake on days when I workout.

I’m currently 5’9" @ 160-165 lb.

The meals above total 3,147 cal., 109 carbs + 33 grams fiber. Is this caloric intake too high? Why am I gaining weight back? Is there a caloric goal I should strive for? [/quote]

First, let’s get this out there: From a “guy lifting weights” perspective, you’re kinda a small dude. I would not freak out about weighing 160. The goal isn’t to keep dieting until you weigh as much as an 8th grade girl. Now, of course we want “good weight” – muscle, not fat – but still, don’t focus so much on the scale. How are YOU looking? Not the numbers on a scale. What does the mirror and tape measurements tell you.

When adding back in solid foods, V-Dieters, or any lower-carb dieter really, can add some water weight back, plus muscle glycogen, more food in the system (waiting to become poop, to be blunt) etc. So there’s nothing unnatural about adding some scale weight. The question is, is this fat?

Your diet looks pretty clean. Your lunch shake is too big (why double it?) but your choices are okay. You may want to watch the peanut butter; those cals can sneak up on you. Also, some don’t handle cheese and peanuts well, leading to bloating - not fat gain really, but bloating. So be aware of that potential issue which can screw up how you judge your progress.

My suggestion is to ditch the housewife scale, take some photos and tape measurements, and keep training hard and eating clean. Scale obsessiveness is only going to lead to the “skinny fat” look.