Biotest

Training Parameters for Lifters Over 35?

I’m turning 37 in a couple of months and I’ve finally noticed a reduced ability to recover from my workouts. My training plan has alternated between the Indigo and Layer System with the full complement of Biotest supplements.

I’m hoping to hear from others who have successfully come to grasp with getting older and adjusted their training programs.

A few questions:

1. Do you reduce the frequency in a given week of specific lift? i.e. move to a once per week per bodypart/lift?

2. Do you reduce the # of days per week? Currently, I’ve been training 5-6 days/week?

3. Do you reduce the volume in a given workout?

Thank you!

It’s the 7’s thing. A friend of mine who is about 15 years older than me, told me many years ago, that, the body goes through changes on the 7’s, and that the legs were the first to go. I have found it to be true. My best advice is to just pay attention to your body and go with the flow. When I get pissed off at myself for not being able to do some things that I used to, I end up with some injury.

You can still push the “edge” of the zone, but, maybe not as far past the edge as before.

[quote]jpg2219 wrote:
I’m turning 37 in a couple of months and I’ve finally noticed a reduced ability to recover from my workouts. My training plan has alternated between the Indigo and Layer System with the full complement of Biotest supplements.

I’m hoping to hear from others who have successfully come to grasp with getting older and adjusted their training programs.

A few questions:

1. Do you reduce the frequency in a given week of specific lift? i.e. move to a once per week per bodypart/lift?

2. Do you reduce the # of days per week? Currently, I’ve been training 5-6 days/week?

3. Do you reduce the volume in a given workout?

Thank you![/quote]
When I started working with John Meadows I was about 37 years old. He took my training from 4 to 7 days per week and I couldn’t recover until Tim put me on a protocol of Indigo-3G, Plazma and MAG-10. Having trained for nearly 20 years at that point I was shocked by the results. Soreness lasted about 1 day or less and 7 days a week was a cake walk.

I’m now about to turn 40 at the end of this month and I’m still training 7 days per week. I’ve probably only missed 6-8 workouts in the past year due to-and-from flying to Europe and/or illness. That said, there are certain exercises that simply cannot do. I was never much of a deadlifter, but now squats and bent over rows are on the list. My lower back is jacked up from squatting 700lbs with poor form back in my 20’s. I will occasionally squat with light weight and chains to unload the weight in the bottom where my back usually tweaks.

It sucks not getting to do some of the big lifts that I once enjoyed, but I’ve found plenty of other ways to stimulate growth without crippling myself with back pain. Giant sets, Prowler Push (backwards and forwards), dead squats, drop sets, Bulgarian Split Squats, etc keep the intensity high and the gains coming.

I think the biggest key in terms of recovery besides Indigo-3G, Plazma and MAG-10 is secondary workouts that focus on explosive movements, training for a massive pump and leaving reps in the tank.

Great post Mark.
Thanks for that.
I’m 57, and still trying to push through some of those cannot do’s anyway. Guess I’m too damn stubborn,

I just turned 37 last month. I’m also using Plazma, MAG-10 and Indigo with great success. I’ve put on 20lbs this year; 160 - 180lbs. I like the reactive pump training program. My question is, do I have to utilize the two days of rest in the reactive pump training program? No matter how hard I hammer myself in the gym, i’m only sore 1, maybe 2 days. I just don’t feel the need for the two days of rest that the program calls for. I’ve read that you need days off to give the nervous system a rest.

Thoughts?

I would stick to off days. using those bands and intensity techniques will rough you up some, enjoy the rest or do an active recovery. I’m 37 and that program was great to me, most of it just on micro-pa.

jpeg, I agree with domcib. I’m turning 52 this year and yes, I’ve had to tone back the weight. I’m able to recover just fine and I’m also able to train often but…when my ego takes over and I push like I did when I was thirty, my body quickly tells me that I’m not. I’s the recovery from an injury that takes forever!

So…train often but you might just tone down the weight a bit and what I find is adding in a mini circuit helps. Move…for the love of God move and stretch. Mother nature will eventually catch up but I’ll be damned if I’ll let her pass me!

[quote]SimplyFitCanada wrote:

So…train often but you might just tone down the weight a bit and what I find is adding in a mini circuit helps. Move…for the love of God move and stretch. Mother nature will eventually catch up but I’ll be damned if I’ll let her pass me![/quote]

ABSOLUTELY!!

I mostly push myself whenever I workout and as I approch my eighth decade on the planet my ! RM’s are decreasing. That doesn’t mean, however, that I’m slacking off on my training and the weights I use. The best thing I use for recovery is MAG-10. In fact I think MAG-10, not Plazma, is my “go to” supplement. Many, if not most posters here, will strongly disagree with me but I found that Plazma doesn’t do much at all for me but MAG-10, now that is a whole new ballgame. In the end, you must find out what you and your body can or can’t do and stick to that.

The benefit of getting older is that hopefully we get wiser. Tnation certainly helps on that front. Thanks for all the good advice. I’ve found that reducing the volume and frequency of the big lifts while keeping the intensity and adding prowler work for added volume has made a huge difference.

Turning 54 and and I’m a bit stubborn like some of the other older guys so even with injuries and aches and pains still forcing my self to squat and romanian deadlift 424 x 3. I know not super strong but combined with age and injuries I figure not too bad. And still determined to hit 500 one day.

That being said I have to agree with Mark Dugdale, between Plazma and MAG-10 I can hit body parts 3 times a week. Not week after week all the time but quite frequently. The recovery and increased strength while on these two products is extremely noticeable. Those products are the biggest factor in my recovery in years.

I haven’t hit body parts 3 x’s a week steady since I was in my teens and 20’s doing the Joe Weder magazine Arnold routines. Plazma and MAG-10 allow me to do it frequently.

At your age you should have no problem. I felt indestructible at that age and up until my late 40’s.

One thing I did have to do is shorten the volume of workouts but made them more intense and frequent.