Biotest

Training during Micro-PA

I’m curious as to what type of training I should be doing (besides lots of eccentrics) to take advantage of Micro-PA. For example, body part splits, full body ect. Has there been any talk about creating a training program to go along with it? Kinda like the reactive pump program and Plazma? My goals: bicep, calve and quad hypertrophy.

For what it’s worth, I second the request for a training program tailored to Micro-PA. Biotest and T-Nation have always knocked it out of the park when it comes to understanding creating a compelling value proposition. World-Class Training Programs + World-Class Supplements is an absolute bargain despite the significant investment many of us loyal Biotest users make every month.

The Indigo program in particular stands out as best in class. It was an approachable program that numerous people could benefit from and made more of a difference in my body composition goals than any other program or supplement could do on their own.

Thanks for continuing to be worth every penny.

I’ve got a feeling something like that will appear. For now, I know CT has mentioned some tweaks to his recent programs that involve a small number of accentuated eccentric sets and emphasizing the eccentric when doing density work. E.g. (my numbers might be slightly off, since I’m writing this from memory - check CT’s posts here and in his forum for details):

(1-3 done using one big lift)

1. 2 sets of 6-8 reps at 60-70% with 6-8s eccentric
  2. Continue ramping up to 3RM
  3. Density work - max triples at 80% in x minutes (you can progress in the length and density here) with 6s eccentric
  4. Loaded carries

He also mentioned supramaximal eccentrics somewhere as another option.

I think John may also have mentioned some tweaks somewhere, but I’m not certain.

I’m sure a dedicated microPA program will make an appearance soon. For now - take care of those eccentrics.

B.

[quote]Grant.fowler10 wrote:
I’m curious as to what type of training I should be doing (besides lots of eccentrics) to take advantage of Micro-PA. For example, body part splits, full body ect. Has there been any talk about creating a training program to go along with it? Kinda like the reactive pump program and Plazma? My goals: bicep, calve and quad hypertrophy.[/quote]

In our study at University of Tampa we did a periodized resistance training program in which subjects trained each bodypart twice per week using Strength One day for higher mechanical trauma (1-5 repetitions, long rest, and compound movements) and once hypertrophy (1-12 repetitions, short rest periods, and compound and isolation movements. Anytime you are trying to maximize muscle growth you need to take advantage of 3 processes

1. Mechanical stimulation - this occurs via eccentric contractions and heavy loading

2. Cell swelling (the pump) this occurs via high volume, short rest periods, and supersets

3. Metabolic stress (lactic acid build up) - this occurs again via high repetitions, and short rest periods

So periodize your training so that you alternate high volume hypertrophy with strength, then combine that with PA for optimal results

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

I’m curious as to what type of training I should be doing (besides lots of eccentrics) to take advantage of Micro-PA. For example, body part splits, full body ect. Has there been any talk about creating a training program to go along with it? Kinda like the reactive pump program and Plazma? My goals: bicep, calve and quad hypertrophy.[/quote]

In our study at University of Tampa we did a periodized resistance training program in which subjects trained each bodypart twice per week using Strength One day for higher mechanical trauma (1-5 repetitions, long rest, and compound movements) and once hypertrophy (1-12 repetitions, short rest periods, and compound and isolation movements. Anytime you are trying to maximize muscle growth you need to take advantage of 3 processes

1. Mechanical stimulation - this occurs via eccentric contractions and heavy loading

2. Cell swelling (the pump) this occurs via high volume, short rest periods, and supersets

3. Metabolic stress (lactic acid build up) - this occurs again via high repetitions, and short rest periods

So periodize your training so that you alternate high volume hypertrophy with strength, then combine that with PA for optimal results
[/quote]

Niiiice answer Dr. Wilson. Good to have you on board

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

[/quote]

Are you at UofT?? I’m a Tampanite myself :slight_smile: Nice little campus they have there.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

[/quote]

Niiiice answer Dr. Wilson. Good to have you on board[/quote]

Thanks glad to be on board!

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

[/quote]

Are you at UofT?? I’m a Tampanite myself :slight_smile: Nice little campus they have there.[/quote]

Yep my lab is in University of Tampa! If you saw Generation Iron, you saw our lab in the movie with our work with Ben Pakulski. Stop by sometime buddy!

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

Yep my lab is in University of Tampa! If you saw Generation Iron, you saw our lab in the movie with our work with Ben Pakulski. Stop by sometime buddy!
[/quote]

Haven’t seen it. I’ll have to check it out.

Be awesome to stop by. If you ever need a guinea pig or anything, I’d be happy to help out.

BTW, I think I received an e-mail a this previous summer from UT regarding needing guinea pigs for a study of a supplement. I can’t remember what the supplement was, but I decided not to since it didn’t fit my goal since I was strictly focused on fat loss and changing my life habits. Actually, I think it was PA?? Does that sound about right?

I was taking my final MBA class on UT at the time

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

[/quote]

Be awesome to stop by. If you ever need a guinea pig or anything, I’d be happy to help out.

BTW, I think I received an e-mail a this previous summer from UT regarding needing guinea pigs for a study of a supplement. I can’t remember what the supplement was, but I decided not to since it didn’t fit my goal since I was strictly focused on fat loss and changing my life habits. Actually, I think it was PA?? Does that sound about right?

[/quote]

Yep we were likely recruiting subjects for a PA study!

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep we were likely recruiting subjects for a PA study![/quote]

Crazy small world. I went back and found the e-mail and it was for PA. Apparently you wanted people who did not train though. Funny stuff.

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

[quote]ZJStrope wrote:

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yep we were likely recruiting subjects for a PA study![/quote]

Crazy small world. I went back and found the e-mail and it was for PA. Apparently you wanted people who did not train though. Funny stuff.
[/quote]

Follow up study in sedentary people buddy

[quote]Dr. Wilson wrote:

Follow up study in sedentary people buddy
[/quote]

Sorry, I didn’t mean “funny stuff” in a negative connotation; rather, “funny stuff” in the small world sense.