Biotest

Too Small for V-Diet?

I am wondering if I might be to smaLL with to heavy a metaboic load. I am 5’7 teetering right at 160 lbs, which is the lightest weight the diet recommends starting at. I am 12 percent body fat and have never in my life fluctuated past 14 percent. I also have a high metabolic load which puts me burning 2500-3500 calories on a work day (yes, I am sure) and still above 2000 on a rest day. Do you guys think the drop in calories this intense will lead to muscle loss, or is that going to be negated by the amount of protein in the diet? Thanks for any tips or suggestions

[quote]SILVERDAN7 wrote:
I am wondering if I might be to smaLL with to heavy a metaboic load. I am 5’7 teetering right at 160 lbs, which is the lightest weight the diet recommends starting at. I am 12 percent body fat and have never in my life fluctuated past 14 percent. I also have a high metabolic load which puts me burning 2500-3500 calories on a work day (yes, I am sure) and still above 2000 on a rest day. Do you guys think the drop in calories this intense will lead to muscle loss, or is that going to be negated by the amount of protein in the diet? Thanks for any tips or suggestions[/quote]

Scale weight can be tricky. If a person is on the shorter side, then he can be chubby even at 160 pounds. It’s really more about body composition than scale weight. The V-Diet calculator uses scale weight just because it’s easier for most people to measure than body comp. But if you look in the mirror and see excess fat, then the V-Diet can work for you. And muscle loss isn’t going to occur if you take the supplements and do the workouts.

Then again, if your “metabolic load” is so high, then why not just eat a couple of hundred calories less and quickly drop down to single digit body fat? Maybe you don’t need something as extreme as the V-Diet.

(And BTW, most of those Body Bug style things that measure calorie expenditure are VERY questionable, so don’t get too wrapped up in numbers if that’s what you’re using. The body is more complicated than that.)

thanks for the info, very much the info I expected. I have used a bodybugg which I did find inconsistent at first. Once I adjusted it to what seemed to be the proper settings it more or less confirmed about the calorIE BURN i HAD EStimated from watching my diet and exercise, so I think I am in the ballpark with my burn. As for my body composition, I am at 5’7 160 lbs 10-13 percent body fat on a given week. In the simple bopdy composition formula I rate just overweight, but this is due to muscle mass more than fat. My estimate is that at 160 lbs I would have about 7-10 lbs to lose to get to “cover model” definition.

I know that the best thing overall would be for me to cut a couple hundred calories out of an already healthy diet to get where I wanted. The healthy diet part is whats been killing me for the past year. I wont use the schedule as an excuse, I can admit that my sweet tooth and craving for anything fried in grease returned and I have been unable to clean up the diet. When I noticed the diet at first I gave it no thought because I thought myself too small and thin. Now, I’m thinking that the diet may help me get away from sugar and grease and restart a healthy long term diet. Do you have any input on using the diet for something like this. This was my main question which I should have asked first. Thanks for any suggestions.

[quote]SILVERDAN7 wrote:
Now, I’m thinking that the diet may help me get away from sugar and grease and restart a healthy long term diet. Do you have any input on using the diet for something like this. This was my main question which I should have asked first. Thanks for any suggestions.[/quote]

Yes, many people with pretty good physiques already have used the V-Diet just to fine-tune and kick any lingering bad-food habits. Nothing needs changing; you just follow the plan as written.

If you decide to do it, please keep us posted!